It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most of the unemployed no longer receive benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Most of the unemployed no longer receive benefits

www.msnbc.msn.com

Early last year, 75 percent were receiving checks. The figure is now 48 percent — a shift that points to a growing crisis of long-term unemployment. Nearly one-third of America's 14 million unemployed have had no job for a year or more.

Congress is expected to decide by year's end whether to continue providing emergency unemployment benefits for up to 99 weeks in the hardest-hit states. If the emergency benefits expire, the proportion of the unemployed receiving aid would fall further.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Here comes the real civil unrest. OWS will be getting fresh recruits. I find this news to be the most disturbing evidence of the ongoing recession/depression. The article also mentions that a record breaking 46 million Americans are receiving food stamps. 46 MILLION PEOPLE In the United States of America do not have the means to feed themselves!!
That is roughly 15 per cent of our entire population. Trickle down economics = EPIC FAIL.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

It's the best way to beat the problem. If they drop everyone ? 0% unemployment. Obama wins !
edit on 5-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
We need to get out of nationa building first. It's been a year since Obama signed the reauthrozation of the unemploymenty act.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

The number of unemployed has been roughly stable this year. Yet the number receiving benefits has plunged 30 percent.

Unemployment benefits kept 3.2 million from falling into poverty. We are talking in the magnitude of millions of people who are running out of options many of them children who always suffer disproportionately. Hard times.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
JP Morgan is the contracted government bank for food stamps and unemployment checks. They make a great deal of money off of the poverty of Americans who receive government assistance. It seems to me that they would want the unemployment benefits to be extended, only because it benefits them.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
And what did the traitor-in-chief do? Last august he gave amnesty to 30 million illegals and told them to apply for work permits.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

Who ?

Reagan ?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Actual unemployed according to various sources is 16.6%, some have it as high as 18+%

It all depends on what you do with the data... The government is always going to give you the lowest possible percentage.

The fact that the president is fighting to get billions to spend on infrastructure projects to get people back to work is an act of complete desperation, they know the private sector can't produce more jobs, without government investment, grants etc... Yes folks it's THAT bad, and unless there are major changes, divine intervention, and some real miracles its going to get a hell of a lot worse.

They are throwing government funds at this problem because it CAN'T be addressed any other way.

Okay, IF they pass the jobs bill... when those funds run out, then what?

Have you taken a look at the staggering and growing by the second national debt?

Have you seen that many states are approaching credit problems and possible defaults?

Business and manufacturing are leaving the country in a near mass-exodus now... Because they all know the government is going to come after them for more revenues one way or another.

Do any of you have any idea how deep this rabbit hole can go?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Actual unemployed according to various sources is 16.6%, some have it as high as 18+%

It all depends on what you do with the data... The government is always going to give you the lowest possible percentage.

The fact that the president is fighting to get billions to spend on infrastructure projects to get people back to work is an act of complete desperation, they know the private sector can't produce more jobs, without government investment, grants etc... Yes folks it's THAT bad, and unless there are major changes, divine intervention, and some real miracles its going to get a hell of a lot worse.

They are throwing government funds at this problem because it CAN'T be addressed any other way.

Okay, IF they pass the jobs bill... when those funds run out, then what?

Have you taken a look at the staggering and growing by the second national debt?

Have you seen that many states are approaching credit problems and possible defaults?

Business and manufacturing are leaving the country in a near mass-exodus now... Because they all know the government is going to come after them for more revenues one way or another.

Do any of you have any idea how deep this rabbit hole can go?

Sure, but where were these "righteous" budget watchdogs during the last eight years of the previous administration? As we become involved in budget-busting wars which were "justified" by false "information"?
Nowhere to be found, I'm afraid. People have a very short memory, which is also very subject to media manipulation.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The presidents infrastructure proposal seems all good and well ; but I think those job will only last about a year or two . The states will have to pick up the tab after that. I don think the states will invest anything though because there out of cash also.

The USA needs repair badly. I myself offered to pay for a new electrical transformer, because the power company transformer is over 40 years old and has many problems. This electrical transformer helps power 6 other homes. The power company said no. I even offered to donate the land for it also. I was told it was a legal issue and an environmental issue with PCBs in the transformer. so I guess if the old stuff in use, no environmental hazard waste that the power company has to deal with and pay fines for.

Another issue is a very old bridge in my state emergency vehicles cant not cross over it let alone cars. not sure what the fire department will do now that is cannot be crossed. Then there is a large dam in my state that has very bad leak. it was built in 1922, this Dam is ready to fall soon. Now the EPA said no rebuilding the Dam because the leak has created a marsh land below, and that marsh land are protected lands. So looks like the the dam is sure to collapse and flood everything below it for miles. Can you guys believe this crap. this why nothing ever get done. to many laws and regulations.

Items like the above will provide jobs for now ; but the EPA regulations and other regulations are in the way of repair. These are short term jobs, but they are jobs. I never believed when this administration said that they would cut the red tape. I have never seen it happen. so it's business as usual for the u.s.gov. all talk and no action. The administration does not have the slightest idea how to do something like infrastructure repair .

edit on 5-11-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

No need to play partisan politics with me... I am a centrist... This crisis we are now in was decades in the making, no one person is to blame... And really, president Obama is doing the only things he can, with sincere hope to put people back to work... Because despite all of the partisan games he knows there isn't anything else he can do... Sad thing is, government is not the solution to anything it IS the problem.

It really doesn't matter now, nor does it matter who wins elections in 2012, this mess is beyond their control now.

In time that is going to be painfully apparent to even you.

Then again, maybe something will happen that will magically fix all of this?

There is always hope and prayers... Vote for change ... Again?

Maybe we'll do better next time?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The political machinery's plan is to put a band-aid on it and let some other folks deal with it when the number of people under the poverty line explodes.....

Then people will realize that this is not a 'double-dip' anything... it is a depression. And just like the last time(s).... it was the banking community who manufactured and benefited directly from it.

There's only one image related to trickling down that this reality evokes... and it has nothing to do with the religion of economists.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I believe the real numbers are much higher. Check out the U6 definition and percentage.

Bureau of Labor Statistics

U-1 Persons unemployed 15 weeks or longer, as a percent of the civilian labor force

U-2 Job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs, as a percent of the civilian labor force

U-3 Total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force (official unemployment rate)

U-4 Total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers

U-5 Total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other persons marginally attached to the labor force, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

NOTE: Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule. Updated population controls are introduced annually with the release of January data.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The political machinery's plan is to put a band-aid on it and let some other folks deal with it when the number of people under the poverty line explodes.....

Then people will realize that this is not a 'double-dip' anything... it is a depression. And just like the last time(s).... it was the banking community who manufactured and benefited directly from it.

There's only one image related to trickling down that this reality evokes... and it has nothing to do with the religion of economists.

Yes I agree. The banks were bailed out by the US taxpayers to prevent them from failing. They failed for a number of reasons including deregulation but primarily because Wall St came up with a scam to sell bad debt. They sliced it and diced it so it could not be discovered and hid this bad debt in Triple A rated mortgage backed securities. The rating agencies were paid off either directly or indirectly to rate this bad debt as Triple A. Now these very same banks will not loan money or restructure these bad mortgages and millions upon millions lose everything and suffer so that a few may profit.

This is what Occupy Wall St. is about for me. The criminal theft of American wealth and jobs by criminal bankstas.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
this is the problem they don't talk about. because the unemplyment numbers they spew are all baseless lies, and they know the markets are emotional

if the true number ever came out, it would be staggering

edit on 6-11-2011 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
People will wake up some day to the truth, first no State needs Fed funds for projects to put people to work that is how the Fed government controls the States don't believe me here is a simple look up for anyone to do and the sad part is most of your State elected individuals do not even know it's there. Go to any search engine and look up CAFR for your State, this is the cash on hand that is public information for each State there is one for the Feds as well. My State of Florida is sitting on close to 49 Billion dollars in this petty cash box, how much is yours?

Second the people whom are not working do not work by choice, there is so much work out their it isn't funny, it might not pay what you once made, it might not be your dream job, it might not be around the corner but people will cry no work till their unemployment runs out then amazingly within days they have a job. Looking for work right now the oil companies like always are looking to fill close to 5 thousand jobs 1800 in Arkansas alone, everything from laborers to drivers to secretaries you name it they have an opening for it.

People put down convince stores or fast food, you have an idea what there mangers make and how fast you can get promoted the average pay in these places is 50 grand plus a year, how about truck driving there are tons of schools out there and unemployment will pay for you to go to these schools to get your CDL and guess what almost all the schools will have you a job before you complete the course. I am a 25 year professional driver now retired the least amount of money I ever made was 50 grand a year my last year owning my own truck with fuel prices through the roof I still brought in over 100K part time due to health issues and after all expenses including truck payments cleared 38K and with less then a year to pay off the truck would have increased my profit earnings by 365 dollars a week that was my truck payment.

Until people start taken personal responsibility and start living within there means and stop blaming everyone else for their own situation we will always have problems and people will remain slaves to the system.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Yeah they don't want to work. There are plenty of jobs. The states are overflowing with spare funds. Christ on a cracker! Did I understand you correctly? Well thanks for the info I was starting to get worried.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Leo Strauss

It's the best way to beat the problem. If they drop everyone ? 0% unemployment. Obama wins !
edit on 5-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Now the official unemployment rate is 9.1% but seeing as they way the go about getting that number and not counting people who no longer get benefits the real number could be as high as 18% to 20% from what I have been reading. They are real good at playing with the numbers

new topics

top topics

join