It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

check your power lines to see if a Vigilant Sensing System has been deployed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Ohio-based Defense Research Associates (DRA) have developed the Medium Voltage Vigilant Sensing System (VSS). The VSS is a closed-circuit camera that is placed on top of utility lines, which it not only uses as a power source but also to transmit signals back to a remote operator. Because it is placed on live power lines, the potential for tampering or destruction is lessened. And, to the untrained eye it will appear to be a regular piece of utility equipment, meaning the subject may not know they are being watched. View the product specs.

I don't know how to insert images but pic at link

www.parapolitical.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
link does not work ?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonco6
link does not work ?

I thought it was just me, but it still wont load.

Hrumph...

try this

linky
edit on 5/11/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Are they bird watchers?
Since there are millions of laptops with hidden camera software on them taht alows agencies to view the lap top user without them ever knowing, this is not such an issue perhaps?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Here is a link with a picture.

VSSmv

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Here's a pic...

Haven't seen anything like this yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Bet I can get that one with a BB gun!

In truth, if one shows up on the power line nearest me, it would only be to watch little old me. I would feel important... and I would also put a BB in it!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

In truth, if one shows up on the power line nearest me, it would only be to watch little old me. I would feel important... and I would also put a BB in it!

I would think that alot of people would do that. Who wants a camera staring at them anyways. They have this in use already and you can see video of what is going on the streets in different countries also. See if i can find that website again so people can see this tech.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

First thing I thought of too... have fun replacing that 3 times a week.. though I'd prefer a slingshot to the bb gun,

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

I would think that alot of people would do that. Who wants a camera staring at them anyways. They have this in use already and you can see video of what is going on the streets in different countries also. See if i can find that website again so people can see this tech.

Check this out. www.youtu.be... enjoy.

edit on 5-11-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Sorry I guess I didn't post the correct link; here it is -

www.parapolitical.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Since the camera uses the power lines to transmit images, not storing the images locally, they'd have video of you shooting it out with your gun. If you hadn't done anything wrong before you'd now have a Vandalism charge on your record.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AtticusRye

Nothing a balaclava couldn't fix for you

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

This is different than standard CCTV mounted on the side of a building. If you read the spec sheet you'll understand:

(1) unlike CCTV that has to run a new power source to the camera, this can be hanged from power lines "in less than 5 minutes" and integrate with the existing power lines (no running cables or heavy construction)

(2) because it's hanging from Hi-Voltage power lines it has an essentially built-in tamper-proof system

(3) in addition to CCTV it can also mount ground radar, Wi-Fi intercepts, etc.

(4) the data is transmitted via hard wires (the power lines themselves) so it makes it very difficult to "hack"

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead
reply to post by AtticusRye

Nothing a balaclava couldn't fix for you

You'll definitely want to read up on video forensics before you go shooting out CCTV. You seem like a jail sentence waiting to happen. Depending on the number of people who live on your block, three biometric matches (none of which have to be your face - e.g. height, weight, etc.) is all that's needed to secure a search warrant, find your BB gun, your posts on ATS saying how you are going to shoot out CCTV, etc.

Here's software that's used to determine subject height from video, for example:

www.photomodeler.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Any info as to who's purchasing these units, and where they are being deployed? EG: Businesses, police, government agencies, etc.? This makes me very uneasy, but thanks for the heads up.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

edit on 5-11-2011 by spinkyboo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
Any info as to who's purchasing these units, and where they are being deployed? EG: Businesses, police, government agencies, etc.? This makes me very uneasy, but thanks for the heads up.

www.washingtonwatch.com...

Well isn't that convenient. Sen. Jeff Bingaman (NM) earmarked 6 million for this program in 2010. So taxpayers paid for this technology...

"Why spending is in interest to taxpayers: As the Global War on Terror (GWOT) continues to escalate_ military missions continue to shift toward countering and neutralizing enemy asymmetric forces in the form of snipers, ambushers, and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED). The problem is that existing military tools and technologies were not designed to operate against enemies which hide amongst civilian populations and employ non-conventional weapons and tactics. The significance of this problem is that terrorists armed with simple, even improvised, anti-personnel weapons are able to achieve tactical and political objectives in the face of vastly superior US forces. The broad strategy to counter these asymmetric threats is to use advanced and innovative technologies such as the Vigilant Sensing System (VSS)."

So I'm guessing well see this being used for "homeland security" any day....

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by squidboy

Originally posted by QueSeraSera

www.washingtonwatch.com...

Well isn't that convenient. Sen. Jeff Bingaman (NM) earmarked 6 million for this program in 2010. So taxpayers paid for this technology...

"Why spending is in interest to taxpayers: As the Global War on Terror (GWOT) continues to escalate_ military missions continue to shift toward countering and neutralizing enemy asymmetric forces in the form of snipers, ambushers, and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED). The problem is that existing military tools and technologies were not designed to operate against enemies which hide amongst civilian populations and employ non-conventional weapons and tactics. The significance of this problem is that terrorists armed with simple, even improvised, anti-personnel weapons are able to achieve tactical and political objectives in the face of vastly superior US forces. The broad strategy to counter these asymmetric threats is to use advanced and innovative technologies such as the Vigilant Sensing System (VSS)."

So I'm guessing well see this being used for "homeland security" any day....

Obviously your information must be wrong. Sen. Bingaman has strongly stated his support for OWS. Supporters of OWS would never want a hyper-government police state. They're all wonderful people who are totally free of manipulation and have a virginal quality about them.

bingaman.senate.gov...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
CCDs (and CMOS) don't take lasing too well though. Line of sight, takes less skill than what would be required to plink with a BB or slingshot, and optical flaring when hit by laser tends to keep a camera from seeing much of anything.

Either that, or all those "camera damaged by laser" videos on YouTube are lying.

And if for some reason or another easily purchased laser pointers become contraband, anyone willing to sacrifice an old CD or DVD burner is likely to have all the parts they need.

Of course a more "old school" method might just be an old pair of shoes... Placed just right, it's not like they wouldn't have a good chance of obstructing the view.

new topics

top topics

join