It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Study of Statements and Behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Recently my attention was brought to a website I had not run across before.
I would like to study its premises here on this ATS thread with like-minded people who enjoy discussing the art and science of psychology.

Here is the webpage and a brief snippet of their homepage intro.
statementanalysis.com...

Statement Analysis is the most accurate way of determining if a person is lying in a verbal or written statement. A person cannot give a lengthy deceptive statement without revealing that it is a lie. This is because people's words will betray them. There are usually several ways you can phrase a statement. People will always word their statement based on all their knowledge. Therefore, their statement may contain information they did not intend to share. Even though they want to withhold information, people will give us more information than what they realize. Unfortunately, they sometimes give us more information than what we realize. The key is to listen to what people are telling you and to know what to look for in a statement.

I plan to explore more about this "system", and the related Behavioral Analysis as discussed in its blog page, here:
seamusoriley.blogspot.com...

Behavioral Analysis can be viewed in two ways:

1. Research
2. Common Sense

1. Research: The FBI amasses a great volume of research by simply reporting the actions of family of missing persons and when the case is adjudicated, they put the file on either pile A or pile B. Pile A is "family did it" and pile B, much smaller, "Stranger did it" and are able to compare the behavior of families in Pile A with families in Pile B
2. Common Sense
Some people are naturals at Behavioral Analysis. It is a matter of working through detail with systematic thought. It starts with a premise:

Believe what you are told.
This is the same principle of Statement Analysis: believe that what you are about to examine is truthful and make your way through the facts (or in the case of linguistic analysis, through the words) and see if you hit any bumps in the road.

What do you thinkers on ATS think of these two forms of analysis, from the point of view of investigators and detectives? My objective is to learn more about these two techniques, which I find fascinating and are appropriate to my field of study and my current interests...Case studies, of course, would be most relevant, and we could start with anything.

DISCLAIMER: The blog entry above from which I snipped is referencing an author's very definite opinon of a specific case, but also gives examples of the techniques and previous cases used as "training and discussion" examples. My objective is to discuss ANY case that people contributing would like to present regarding behavior, deception, manipulation, character, and glaring exceptions to societal, cultural "norms". Whether current events in the media, personal anecdotes, or published research, I hope to find some other "explorers" of these shadowy areas of humanity as we understand it.

The two "new" methods together, Statement An, and Behavior An, are obviously interconnected, but rather change the former theory of "10% is words, the rest is tone and body language." I don't discard that theory, but in this new age of electronic communication, I want to explore how those tenets may be adjusted to reflect the new forms of interaction.

If there are any of you are interested in this, well, you know what to do!!
WT

edit on 5-11-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Have you heard of the blank slate philosophy? It is very related to what you speak of.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

I have not, per se, but I imagine it relates to starting with accepting the statements at face value. Correct?
Do you have a link to more info?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

This philosophy somewhat contradicts and intermingles with the your theory on behavior. Here is a brief description of it, When a child is born, the slate (their state of mind) is blank and can be changed. As they grow up around certain object etc, the slate becomes written on with their fundamental beliefs, ideas etc.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Ah,..... yes, of course, I'm aware of that theory. I have studied in depth (and presented as a professional at national conferences, because my proposal was accepted...NOT because I know everything) the brain-training theory. Yes,
babies' neurons and synapses, at birth, are ready and eager to accept whatever their environment offers.

No question about that!!

A child born in a hut in a 3rd world country will be surrounded by completely different stimuli than one born in an affluent western-culture abode. The child's brain will fire synapses regardless of what is presented to their senses....in order to assure that they will have the skills needed to cope in the given environment.

Nevertheless, I have also worked in a neo-natal hospital unit, as a day-care provider for infants, and as a parent educator for first-time parents. In my seven -- ETA: No, wait, now that I think on it, TWENTY if one includes being a parent of two vastly different kids -- years experience doing those things, I have seen how each baby has a unique personality, and responds to the exact same stimulus differently than others (having blood drawn from foot, having loud family around, having no music, having too much music,....etc)....

So, what I'd like to explore is how people become "aberrant" (not to be derogatory, just in terms of acting outside of expected norms), and how their communication and behavior as adults can be studied to determine psychological "functionality."

Make sense??

edit on 5-11-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

top topics

join