It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone seen this photo yet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Guess it's called the Arizona Thunderbird.

Interesting photo. Could be a fake though.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I can't be certain but I vaguely this photo being debunked a while ago. Sorry I don't have any links to go with my comment.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
couple of links about the Thunderbird

www.burlingtonnews.net...

www.mysteriousworld.com...

flc

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The quality of that pic looks much too good for my liking... according to the edges and the age the quality shouldn't be as good as it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It has been debunked!!! It was a promotional picture for a show on Sci-Fi. Can't remember the name of the show right now, but the picture is a pure fake. Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
oi, but there was another picture of a little pterodactyl and a little fellar was holdin it, it was from the same time period.

That picture is fake but the story behind it that started the thunderbird myth is yet to be debunked, but i would say the cowboys debunked it them selves by saying.

The enormous wingspan of the creature was said to have been 160 feet and the body was more than 92 feet long. It was smooth and featherless, more like a bat than a bird, and they cut off a piece of the wing and brought it with them into Tombstone, Arizona.
the bird could not fly if it was that big. but story change over the years.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by phantompatriot]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here ya go peeps....the photo is from here (scroll down to near bottom of page for photo(s).......:
LIVING PTERODACTYLS. FLYING DINOS?

Bird the size of a plane spotted in Alaska
ANCHORAGE, Alaska, Oct 18 (Reuters) - A bird the size of a small airplane was recently spotted flying over southwest Alaska, puzzling scientists, the Anchorage Daily News reported this week.
The newspaper quoted residents in the villages of Togiak and Manokotak as saying the creature, like something out of the movie "Jurassic Park," had a wingspan of 14 feet (4.6 metres) -- making it the size of a small airplane.
"At first I thought it was one of those old-time Otter planes," the paper quoted Moses Coupchiak, 43, a heavy equipment operator from Togiak, as saying. "Instead of continuing toward me, it banked to the left, and that's when I noticed it wasn't a plane."
The Daily News, the largest daily in Alaska, said scientists had no doubt that people in the region, west of Dillingham, had seen the winged creature but they were skeptical about its reported size.

....for more, hit the link.....

This photo(s) have been utilized by California Institute of Omniology in their ongoing battle to debunk/question Evolution.
California Institute of Omniology

seekerof

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
heres the picture of the kid i was talking about.

maybe they are all promoting a TV show?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Can you repost pic, it isn't showing up (for me at least).

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
works fine for me but here you go.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
www.anzwers.org...

Wasn't working for me either.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It has been debunked!!!

Correct, but much longer ago than for sci-fi...

I'd suggest a trip to skepdic.com, and look up thunderbird, for an in-depth explaination of this particular photo.... Hey, I don't like the guys either, but for this photo, their homework is damn good....

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Starting to get confused on this one though...

Read the following....

Further doubts soon emerged after the magazine's article was published. Various readers wrote to pinpoint several details in the photo that led to the conclusion that the photo was a fake. First of all, the men pictured were obviously reenactors, "given the undue proportion of over-age and overweight members in their ranks--the average Civil War soldier was a scrawny youth of nineteen." Such groups of re-enactors are quite common in the States and, among them "there is a much higher proportion of older and fatter members than in the original armies." The clean and neat uniforms "also mark them out as re-enactors rather than the real thing." Their poses, also, are "too naturalistic for an 1860s photograph"; if you've ever looked at photos from that period "you can see there are a dozen subtle differences in the way they stood, the way they held their heads, the looks on their faces, and what they did with their arms and hands while they were being photographed"

Finally, all doubts were confirmed when it was discovered that the site was connected to the creators of The Blair Witch Project. FreakyLinks was in fact the title of an upcoming TV series, and the site was designed to promote interest in it. The show star was actor Ethan Embry and his character was named "Derek Barnes, Editor of an Internet Web site that investigates the paranormal." As expected, the experts quoted in the site were imaginary, just as the pterodactyl that was only a stage prop courtesy of Fox.

But it seems that THIS is the pic the Blair Witch guys made....

NOT

Still, I know I read an article before (thought it was Skepdic, but apparently not) about it being used as some kind of publicity stunt... Still, two photos to contend with. The top is the one connected to the known hoax...the second???

[edit on 4-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
That picture looks like a conoeing boat with a head model attached to it.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Fake, fake, fake, fake.
Arr, do any beleive in flying fish?
I'm off to sail and leave the shores for the blue seas.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Minime
That picture looks like a conoeing boat with a head model attached to it.
yea it does

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
its fake its been proved fake no more to say sorry.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yep, as we've pointed out...why dig this up?

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
i know this is a few days old, but has anyone noticed the man on the furthest right?? he seems to be floating, you can not see his feet on the ground, when they should be there, it might just be the way i lok at it, but it should show his foot, and it doesnt

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Hunted Pterodactyl?

Another photograph circulating throughout cryptozoology communities was that of a seemingly shot and killed pterodactyl during during the Civil War. On numerous websites will you still find this picture, and some claim that it has yet to be negated or authenticated.

Truth is, it's a hoax. Not so much a hoax, but a simple promotional tool. The photograph was created and used by Orlando, Florida's Haxan Production to develop interest in their upcoming fictional program, Freaky Links. First broadcasted on Fox TV in 2000, the series involved the character Derek Barnes, an investigator of the unknown. The 22-foot by 11-foot pterodactyl was a prop created for the two episodes, and is now owned by Loren Coleman and is featured in his museum

www.trueauthority.com...

[edit on 4-1-2005 by sensfan]

new topics

top topics

join