It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[D&G] Suffer The Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Bill stood there, attempting to go through the motions of dancing with his wife. He shuffled his feet slightly out of sync with his puzzled partner, and ran his right hand awkwardly across her lower back as he tried to fulfill his obligation to the woman he loved to “take her out for a change”. When he made the weekend getaway date earlier in the week, never could he have imagined the Friday afternoon he would have had. How every bit of his being could have been shaken to the very core.

Raised by a puritanical southern minister, and his equally puritanical mother, Bill had a strong Christian upbringing that shaped the man that he grew to be. With the influences of his childhood, it is not entirely surprising that he would undertake a life of ecclesiastical study. And it was this lifetime of ecclesiastical study that brought him to this point, where all that he knew was being unraveled like a cheap, thrice regifted sweater.

As the first few chords of Anne Murray’s “Could I Have This Dance” played through, Bill composed himself more and more. The smell of his wife’s most recent choice of shampoo was intoxicating to him, as was the increasing heat from her soft breath on his chest. The song choice was the first song they had ever danced to, and his mind began to fill with the memories of the 23 years that had passed since that first dance. Each of his two daughters births, that time in Boca Raton that they had taken a weekend getaway, the tradition of dressing up for the family dinner on Sunday…a life full of memories predicated on his Christian family values.

And now it all seemed like a sham, like a cruel joke. His body grew taught, once again, as his life long love faded from his thoughts, replaced by the more recent memory of only three and a half hours ago. It was only three and a half hours ago that the stranger entered his office, with a book wrapped in what seemed to be ancient leather. Bound with what looked like copper, the “pages” of the “book” were of a rough hewn tree bark, and were at the point of literally crumbling. While ancient, he estimated the book to be no more than a few hundred years old. Regardless, what this decaying tome related to him was a life changing, or even more accurately a reality changing revelation.

His reflections on his day were suddenly interrupted with a whisper from his wife. “Honey, is something wrong? You seem so tense.” As Anne Murray continued to play on the Rockola, he quickly gathered himself and replied hoarsely, “Nothing at all, dear. Are you having a good time?” Of course, this was as fake as he could be, as there WAS something wrong. The very thought that there was no God, that is something that he had grappled with in his life already. It was a notion he was familiar with, living in 20th Century America. There was no shortage of smug scientists and philosophical artists proclaiming varied reasons and reflections on how God could not exist, and then laughing at the poor morons who chose to believe in him. His life of ecclesiastical study had armed him with no small arsenal of powerful pro-Christian arguments. And he had never before so much as doubted the existence of his God, the God of his mother and father.

Being a loving husband, dedicated to his family, Bill forced himself to refocus his attention on his wife, who he had recently neglected while working through his studies of the Indian yogi’s, and their stories of “St. Issa” (often reputed to have been Jesus). As “their song” continued to play, he focused on the swaying of her body. Those hips, broader now after all these years but never more beautiful. The hips that had bore him his two beautiful children. The way they pull on her dress as they moved across the dance floor created an upswelling of erotic memories, spaced over the wide range of intimate moments seen through their 23 year courtship/marriage. Since the day they had met, she was the most intoxicating object in the world to him. She was a drug to him, a living and breathing narcotic that had him hooked from his first dose. The love that had grown between them early on had created a lifelong passion that had excluded virtually all thoughts of pain. In their love, there was no suffering. Only transient moments of struggle marked by their unwavering emotional and spiritual attachment. With such a relationship, any misfortunes or agony was seen as minimal in comparison to the brilliant light of their pure and untainted love for each other.

And this was really a problem for him now. Never before in his life had he considered new knowledge to be unwanted. The shock of finding out that what had always been called “God” in western culture was actually more akin to Satan was almost too much to bear. Almost enough to dim that brilliant light of pure and untainted love he shared with his long time bride.

As a Christian, he had always noted that there was no shortage of suffering in the world. He had always done his part to help alleviate this suffering, through avenues such as civic duty, community leadership, and counseling based on his spiritual study (in much the same way that a priest will counsel his congregation). And, based on his Christian ideals, had always attributed this suffering to either some form of karma (punishment by God), or to some test by God to ensure worthiness.

But never, ever in a million years could he have considered the concept that suffering was actually a drug, an intoxicant for God. Or that “God” was actually just a spiritual being that created a world full of suffering so that “He” could get high. The abstract nature of the emotions created by suffering actually being able to intoxicate any beings is almost beyond belief. Had he not seen the proof with his own eyes, it would be completely beyond belief. A cheap science fiction story penned by some amateur.

It was at this point that the second refrain of that famously clichéd song began. Bill snapped to, and realized that he had once again been reflecting on the days revelation, ignoring his wife while they danced to “Their” song. His wife, feeling his body tense slightly once again, looked up at him and their eyes met. Her beautiful brown eyes, framed by an angelic face with olive skin and curtained by locks of wavy, raven colored hair. As he reflected on the first time their eyes had ever met, he was once again becoming intoxicated, locked in her gaze and reveling in the high of being in love. Surely it was unusual to consider oneself “head over heels” after 23 years together. But Bill had never shied away from being unusual. He leaned in slowly and kissed her softly. First on her lips, then on her cheek. Slowly he moved over to that spot on her neck, just beneath her left ear, that was the catalyst to so many of those passionate moments.

Then it suddenly occurred to him: HE was intoxicated. Not in the way you would be with a fifth of rum. Rather, this was more like an emotional high, strong enough to create physical changes such as racing heartbeat, butterflies in the stomach, slight vertigo, and of course a stirring in the nether regions.

As he softly kissed her, the song ended. Somehow, the worries of just a few minutes ago seemed so far away. He was still aware that the only reason for human existence was to suffer, so that our “God” could get drunk from the emotions created by our pain, agony, and suffering. He was still aware that the only reason for human existence was to suffer, so that our “God” could get drunk from the emotions created by our pain, agony, and suffering. He was still very aware that this would, in essence, mean that God is actually more like Satan, and that Earth is actually Hell. But all of that seemed so unimportant now. The sheer pleasure of being in his wife’s arms, of feeling her soft skin on his lips made such things trivial. In this moment, there was no suffering. There was no concept of pain.

As his wife looked up into his eyes, she asked him, “Penny for your thoughts?” While he answered with a simple wink and a cheeky raising of his eyebrows, in his mind it occurred to him that regardless of the nature of God, his own personal choices and morals would not have to change. He had found a way to cheat the system, to deny our evil creator a source of the emotions of suffering. If God was Satan, then as a Christian he would take up the fight against Satan, by robbing him of his suffering. He would redouble his efforts to disallow the pain of suffering in his life, by taking his own intoxicant. Instead of the emotion of pain caused by suffering, he would continue to intoxicate himself with the love of his beautiful wife, and the two fruits of their love. In so doing, he would do his part to reduce suffering and to rob God of his drug. He would stage the first ever divine intervention, despite how ludicrous this may sound.

And with this thought in mind, he strode with his wife hand in hand out of the hotel bar. They were headed back to the room for the night. He was off to, for the first time in his life, willingly deny God.

edit on 5-11-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
For you long time members, you are correct in what you are seeing. No, I have never written a short story before.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
very well written..

Enjoyed it very much.. but it seemed to stop abruptly..in half sentence.. did you mean to add more?

Please..please finish.. it is one of the best I have read ..though I haven't read all the short stories on here.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

I didn't understand what you meant at first...then i went back and looked. It seems that copying from Word to my browser didn't capture everything. My apologies...i have added the remainder of the story.
edit on 5-11-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Good work..

It does have some sad overtones.. in the sense of the loss of faith in a loving god...and it seems to have shaken him deep in his spirit.

What I love about the story is the story is how deeply he still loves his wife, and how beautiful and intoxicating she still is to him.

It's refreshing to read such romantic words about a long time married couple...and how he still treasures that relationship...and how he will fight the sorrow, and pain of the world with the richness of that love.

I say for your first effort you get an "A" , and an applause from me (oh yeah..star and flag too)....thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
For you long time members, you are correct in what you are seeing. No, I have never written a short story before.

That was very well written.

If you enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it then you should request writers status and continue to contribute to the writers forum

Thanks BFFT

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I have been married for 17 years. It is easy to imagine myself around my 25 anniversary, with it still like it is a new relationship.

We are thisclose.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

No, I have never written a short story before.

Dayum !!! Mr Texan, I enjoyed this quite a bit !!

Warning: Writing can get addictive! Maybe not intoxicating...but close !

S&F !!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very well done, I read your story and decided to step away and contemplate the message.

Is it a story of a personal journey?

My concept of god is of Faith, hope, love, and victory over adversity.
edit on 023030p://bSunday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The woman i describe is my wife. The man is not really me, as I don't dance.

Spiritually, I have studied everything that exists, and much of what used to exist. The shamanic beliefs are most intriguing, but I see the underlying God concept throughout all beliefs

No, I am not atheist. But you know that, I think. I am a deist, and that is the most I can really truthfully say.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well written!

I enjoyed the read, and you conveyed the emotion and feelings of the main character quite well.

Thank you for the time and effort.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Awesome

More please. Make it go from there.

You got a talent there. Let it GO!!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Awesome

More please. Make it go from there.

You got a talent there. Let it GO!!!!

My wife had mentioned expanding the story into something longer.

I like artistic outlets, but have to keep the projects small enough to maintain my interest. Writing is something I haven't done before, so who knows. Usually i use graphic art at an outlet (or cooking).

But i appreciate the encouragement.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well done, my friend! S & F!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Thanks.

I was asked a few times to extend the story. The reason I do not want to is because the story is designed to happen over the course of a single song. In the human mind, you can make a minute last forever. The deeper you get into your thoughts, the faster the thoughts happen....you literally can (with proper meditation) extend your years by experiencing more thought. But you have a man who, during his 3 to 4 minute dance, reflects on not only the 23 years of marriage he has had, but also the timeless immortal Creator. The contrast of the permanence vs the temporary.

This concept, of having the entire story happen over a short amount of time, is the second primary element of the story. The first being the juxtaposition of deep despair and dread over the emotions created by suffering, vs the uplifting hope promised by love and pleasure. Contrasting God with those little biological idols that we all have: the people we love. As he goes through this brief moment with his wife, he struggles to contextualize the reality of our reality being about suffering in the same world where he can find such a wonderful and pure expression of love, hope, loyalty...all the "feel good" things that we experience.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
very well written..

Enjoyed it very much.. but it seemed to stop abruptly..in half sentence.. did you mean to add more?

Please..please finish.. it is one of the best I have read ..though I haven't read all the short stories on here.

This is a good sign ....

Writers need to keep the "anticipation" level constant.

edit on Nov-12-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

If this IS the 1st,

it's damn good !

I like the detail.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I have been married for 17 years. It is easy to imagine myself around my 25 anniversary, with it still like it is a new relationship.

We are thisclose.

I kinda got the impression that the story was a mix of real life and perhaps some futuristic forsight.

Perhaps you have the ability to see things as they will be.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Stormdancer777

The woman i describe is my wife. The man is not really me, as I don't dance.

Spiritually, I have studied everything that exists, and much of what used to exist. The shamanic beliefs are most intriguing, but I see the underlying God concept throughout all beliefs

No, I am not atheist. But you know that, I think. I am a deist, and that is the most I can really truthfully say.

Well, maybe you need to learn to dance for that 25th celebration !

You have plenty of time

I think the "Christian" references may be reflecting your own values of your marriage.

A writer needs to convey a message on a reader's own level of "sanctity" in a common way.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by WTFover

Thanks.

I was asked a few times to extend the story. The reason I do not want to is because the story is designed to happen over the course of a single song. In the human mind, you can make a minute last forever. The deeper you get into your thoughts, the faster the thoughts happen....you literally can (with proper meditation) extend your years by experiencing more thought. But you have a man who, during his 3 to 4 minute dance, reflects on not only the 23 years of marriage he has had, but also the timeless immortal Creator. The contrast of the permanence vs the temporary.

This concept, of having the entire story happen over a short amount of time, is the second primary element of the story. The first being the juxtaposition of deep despair and dread over the emotions created by suffering, vs the uplifting hope promised by love and pleasure. Contrasting God with those little biological idols that we all have: the people we love. As he goes through this brief moment with his wife, he struggles to contextualize the reality of our reality being about suffering in the same world where he can find such a wonderful and pure expression of love, hope, loyalty...all the "feel good" things that we experience.

The span of a song is a good subject starter.

Many times we see things happen as a song plays through.

Next time you are in a bar or restaurant, watch people's or worker's reactions when certain songs play.

You may see material for 100's of short stories !!

Watch their moods and put yourself in their place(s).....

top topics

join