It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Devils Tower (Pictures)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Mysterious Devils Tower (Pictures)

A few years back my husband and i took a trip out to the Devil's Tower in Wyoming i thought ATS might enjoy the pictures we took..I have to tell you the Devil's Tower was just breath takeing ..
The Devil's Tower all along the base was prayer offerings, including sacred bundles and cloth its sacred site to Native Americans, including the Lakota Sioux, Arapaho, Crow, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Shoshone tribes while we were there they performed ceremonies like the Sun Dance and did vision quests..When we were there you could feel its energy and vibration,I could see how the Native people revered the Tower how it would have inspired them to worship it. There is a great power here.

Devils Tower figures in the mythology of the Plains tribes. One myth is that of 7 sisters and a bear. The sisters were playing when a big bear chased them. The girls climbed on a rock which grew like a tree, putting the girls out of reach. The bear tried to climb the tree but slid down, leaving his claw marks as grooves in the tower. The girls, high on the rock, became a group of 7stars (the Pleiades). From this myth the Kiowa called it "Tso-aa," meaning "tree rock."

Devils Tower is composed of phonolite porphyry, a grayish rock studded with feldspar crystals. As the magma cooled underground, it formed hexagonal or six-sided columns although columns have from four to seven sides. The last large column fell about 10,000 years ago. The next one to go is probably the Leaning Column on the Durrance Route.

Devils Tower figured prominently in the 1977 Stephen Speilberg film Close Encounters of the Third Kind as the landing place for aliens who took a willing group of humans into space.

I hope you enjoy the pictures,Peace sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thank you for the bumps people

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Awesome pictures!! I have always wanted to go there. Maybe someday....

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thank you for posting, FissionSurplus..I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures i hope to go back there next summer it is a wonderful place to visit..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the pictures. Very nice of you to do so. I have never even heard of the Devils Tower and found it interesting.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Wow! These are epic photos. Thx for posting, cause i've never heard of this place.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Thanks BLKMJK, I thought everyone knew this place
The movie by
Stephen Speilberg Close Encounters of the Third Kind was filmed there back in 1977..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JunoTheGreat

Thank you JunoTheGreat,Im glad you enjoyed the pictures! Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Nice sugar did you go to the "Dark side of the moon"

Or
"Yeah I have one of those in my living room"

edit on 5-11-2011 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I want to visit Wyoming in the coming years.
Very cool.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I'll bite...

Thanks for the great photo's Op. I'm glad you included the native bear story, as it scared me to no end when I was a kid. Do they still have that great painting depicting the story at the Visitor Center? That painting was in my nightmares growing up

Glad you enjoyed the visit, and don't forget to hit up Thermopolis and its sweet hot springs on your next trip.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by BLKMJK

Thanks BLKMJK, I thought everyone knew this place
The movie by
Stephen Speilberg Close Encounters of the Third Kind was filmed there back in 1977..Peace,sugarcookie1

No I actually thought that was part of a set or man made. Close Encounters is one of my favorites too! DUURR ME!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

LOL naa im saveing the "Dark side of the moon" for my next trip
Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Be sure to go if you can its worth the visit and thanks for posting ,Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuned Agent

Hiya Tuned Agent they sure do the picture is still in the
Visitor Center..And i did go to hot springs another wonderful place..Thanks for posting!
Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Hi BLKMJK ,Well it was a man made set but done on the Devils Tower ..And its one of my fav movies also
Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
love it! Thanks for sharing. I drove past this twice before and it is really something to see!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks westcoast, Its a breath takeing place to see it holds alot of power to the plains tribes..Peace,sugar,cookie1

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yep,. been there,. last year in fact,.
Stopped there on our way back from Yellowstone,.
It is quite a site,. and to imagine that the ground has been eroded away in depths of 80 to 100 feet from glaciers and that is what is left. Did you see the size of the lava chunks laying all around? some were bigger than a tour bus.

edit on 5-11-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: spelda

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Hi Lil Drummerboy,I admit it was a odd site this to see this huge phonolite porphyry sticking up out of the ground ..People don't realize how big this tower is till your up on it its huge! And yes i saw the lava chunks laying around the base they were huge also,Its a amazing place to go see.. Peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join