It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinion needed-Should OWS participants bring their children to the protest?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So after reviewing a video it would appear that some children were present during a protest. When you take a look at the vidoe you will see two children in a wagon...can't say they are older than five years old...parents and protestors appear to be either blocking the entrance into a bank and or trying to get in. My question to all of you is how young is to young to be involved in this type of activity. The parent(s) seem a bit off to be allowing such a thing to occur and I think this just makes a possibly bad situation that much worse..I refrained from using the original title of the post because it appeared to dramatic given the circumstances and the size of the crowd..

Link

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I guess it depends on individual circumstances, like if they couldn't get babysitter or how long they're there etc. I don't necessarily agree with it but the whole "used as human shield" is a bit much. It's a peaceful protest after all, it isn't like they're bringing their kids to a riot.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I saw that video. It amazes me that such idiots are breeding and thinking that it is ok to bring children to a possibly violent protest.

They don't only think it's ok...they actually try to justify it.

edit on 5-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I would think not. The longer it keeps up the higher chance before something unexpected and extreme happens, take Oakland for example. These types of things aren't your usual family oriented city fairs. The children won't understand what's going on and it just seems, to me, there is too much chaos to honestly be able to keep track and protect your kids. There will be in fact lots and lots of friendly people there who will look out for each other... but it'll be hard to notice a 2 and a half foot little guy standing in the middle of a crowd playing with the spongebob picture on his T-shirt. It's just not a safe environment for children.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It wouldn't matter if kids were brought. They wouldn't help and it would look like a meager attempt at increasing attendance numbers

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tea4One

I think the bigger problems that need to be considered when this occurs are the possible anarchist participants that like to taunt the police or the rookie police officer who wants to push the limits..I couldn't see bringing such a cute little girl as that to a protest where we have seen the ugly sides of things transpire..but it's the parents choice and if the state wants to say something they can go looking for the parents I guess.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by Tea4One

I think the bigger problems that need to be considered when this occurs are the possible anarchist participants that like to taunt the police or the rookie police officer who wants to push the limits..I couldn't see bringing such a cute little girl as that to a protest where we have seen the ugly sides of things transpire..but it's the parents choice and if the state wants to say something they can go looking for the parents I guess.

Perhaps, as I said, I don't really agree with taking your kids. The parents should be wiser considering what transpired at Oakland which wassn't exactly a safe place for a child. As I also said though, it depends on individual circumstances. The women in that showed video is an idiot though, she is a perfect example of why some people hate OWS.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
no, it is not safe.....

children should be in school not protest

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Uuuuh.....how bout....NO! A good parent is supposed to guide and protect their children, especially with the age of the child in mind. Why would anyone deliberately inject their child into a situation that could possibly put them in danger? Also, please consider how a child might perceive the situation, especially if violence erupts. If you can't get a babysitter, than stay home!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

How about letting the parents decide? Why the hell does everyone think they have the right to tell other people how to live??? Ugh! 'm absolutely sick of nosy anti-freedom busybodies!

I admit, we needed another OWS thread so it can degenerate in into a divisive mess...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

How about letting the parents decide? Why the hell does everyone think they have the right to tell other people how to live??? Ugh! 'm absolutely sick of nosy anti-freedom busybodies!

I admit, we needed another OWS thread so it can degenerate in into a divisive mess...

The title says "Opinion needed". Are we NOT allowed to have opinions on children being brought to protests? Nobody here is saying it's against the law... we're just saying that we think it's irresponsible and stupid, my words not theirs.

This isn't anti-freedom at all... if they want to bring their kids they have every right to do so. But I'll be sure to let them know my opinion of their bad parenting choice. It seems you're being anti-freedom by calling everyones opinions to be anti-freedom.

top topics

join