It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake: Three temblors rattle Oklahoma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Earthquake: Three temblors rattle Oklahoma

abcnews.go.com

Three small earthquakes rattled central Oklahoma early today.

The quakes ranged from 2.7 to 4.7 in magnitude, with the first temblor hitting the region at 2:12 a.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

While there were no injuries or major damage, residents reported feeling the shaking.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.koco.com
earthquake.usgs.gov

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Swarm of small quakes in an unusual location - Oklahoma. Other worldwide activity appears to be in "normal" (fault known and active) locations. However, scientists always perk up when a swarm occurs in areas of little to no activity. The next 48 hours will be the focus of monitoring to watch for other swarms in areas of inactivity.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have been following earthquake activity for less than a year. But small tremlors in the Oklahoma City region sem to be pretty common. At least for the time I have looked into them.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Per quakes.globalincidentmap.com, 12 minutes after the 4.7 OK City quake, Chile had a 5.8 quake. I'm not sure what the connection is as far as tectonic plates go, but we seem to be rattling from North America down to South America.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
3 Tremblors? More like 8......according to folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Only 3 miles deep. OK may be in for a bit of rockin' and rollin' in the next 48 hours.

4.7 was the peak EQ....hopefully.
edit on 5-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Brother in Bali reported last night

Had another little shake last night, only a 5.1 near lombok. but the bed did move!!

And just had a X -1.9 Sun flare few day ago adding up

edit on 5-11-2011 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Arighty...did some searching, and this seems to be possibly related to "fracking" in OK. I'm posting a link to previous shallow OK EQs for reference.

Fracking May Have Caused 50 Earthquakes in Oklahoma

by Care2 Causes Editors
November 4, 2011
7:00 am

Written by Brian Merchant, Treehugger

In a surprising turn of events, Cuadrilla Resources, a British energy company, recently admitted that its hydraulic fracturing operations “likely” caused an earthquake in England. Predictably, this news quickly sent a shockwave through the U.K., the oil and natural gas industries, and the environmental activist community. And it certainly feeds plenty of speculation that the same phenomenon could be occurring elsewhere.

Speculation that would be well-founded, evidently. Right on the heels of Cuadrilla’s announcement, news is spreading that the United States Geological Survey has released a report (pdf) that links a series of earthquakes in Oklahoma last January to a fracking operation underway there. Evidently, a resident reported feeling some minor earthquakes, spurring the USGS to investigate. They found that some 50 small earthquakes had indeed been registered, ranging in magnitude from 1.0 to 2.8. The bulk of these occurred within 2.1 miles of Eola Field, a fracking operation in southern Garvin County.

The U.S.G.S. determined that “from the character of the seismic recordings indicate that they are both shallow and unique.”

From the report:

Our analysis showed that shortly after hydraulic fracturing began small earthquakes started occurring, and more than 50 were identified, of which 43 were large enough to be located. Most of these earthquakes occurred within a 24 hour period after hydraulic fracturing operations had ceased. There have been previous cases where seismologists have suggested a link between hydraulic fracturing and earthquakes, but data was limited, so drawing a definitive conclusion was not possible for these cases.

Read more: www.care2.com...

edit on 5-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Oh hell.... This wasn't what I wanted to wake up to. I'm not far from these and while 3.'s have become normal lately (It's scary what we're coming to accept as normal, isn't it??) readings upwards of 5. on the scale *IS NOT* normal.

Hey, I have an idea...lets bring a 100% FULL STOP HALT to the fraking insanity in that area..and Arkansas and Texas until we know just a tiny bit more about what flooding deep rock strata with man's version of Ky-jelly DOES to dormant earthquake fault lines. I think some people really failed to do their homework here....and I really don't want to wait for the 5-6. quake or higher...to FINALLY hear the Oil/Gas industry give us a big "Ooops" as their public statement to a catastrophic earthquake in Oklahoma, Texas or Missouri.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry but theres already two other threads on this. like the post though, and the info given on fracking

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sokpuppet

Another "incident" in secret underground facilities???

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

MAP 3.6 2011/11/05 14:36:30 35.584 -96.789 4.9 OKLAHOMA
USGS

Another one!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Bad Link CD....

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

(It's scary what we're coming to accept as normal, isn't it??)

That's how it is with the ones in Virginia. My sister calls every few days to say they're still feeling some quakes. They had one a couple of weeks ago that was a little over a 3, but the news isn't reporting any of this. The nuclear power plant in Louisa still isn't up and running yet.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The Oklahoma Observatory EQ information page... www.okgeosurvey1.gov...

Oklahoma Earthquakes - Frequently Asked Questions

Report Feeling an Oklahoma Earthquake

Oklahoma Geological Survey Main Website

Preliminary Earthquake Report, November 5, 2011

Contacts: Austin Holland or Amie Gibson, Oklahoma Geological Survey, (Email Us)

On November 5, 2011 at 2:12 AM CDT (07:12:45.4 UTC) an earthquake occurred in Lincoln County, Oklahoma. The earthquake was located at 35.548 N latitude and 96.763 W longitude with an error of about 2.0 km horizontally, at a depth of 3.1 km. The earthquake occurred about 6 miles northwest of Prague and 5.2 miles southeast of Sparks. The OGS determined a ML magnitude of 4.8 and the USGS currently has it at a magnitude 4.7 (Mb) these two numbers are essentially the same given the errors in calculating magnitude. Both the USGS and the OGS have determined a magnitude 5.2 mbLg for this event. This earthquake occurred very close to where a magnitude 4.3 earthquake occurred on February 27, 2010. From the location of the earthquake and the focal mechanism it is most likely that this earthquake occurred on the Wilzetta fault also known as the Seminole uplift. As of 3:30 AM CDT on 11/5/11 the OGS has received a few hundred reports. As of 7:00 AM CDT there have been more than 30 aftershocks associated with this earthquake.

USGS Event Page

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I lived!

~Tulsa

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I find that fracking is the most reasonable explanation -- about a half-hour ago a 5.2 hit the Sparks, OK area. I'm over here in NE Oklahoma and while making use of the facilities at a local coffee house, some toilet paper fell on my head.

Anyway, I've lived in Tulsa for twenty years (pretty much my whole life) and this is the most seismically active I've known the area to be. BP owns a lot of oil in the Drumright/Cushing area (about 50 miles southwest of Tulsa) but I don't know if they perform hydraulic fracturing operations. I've heard about "secret underground magnetic rail systems" with their hub in Oklahoma City for years... I think it would be more interesting than a result of fracking if some incident took place in some secret underground location.

I do find it odd that Oklahoma is having so much seismic activity right around the time of FEMA's EAS test. Just throwing it out there.
edit on 11/5/2011 by Lifthrasir because: I spelled Tulsa wrong.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Went to Quake Watch 2011 -
not listed yet but they just
had a 5.6. That's not good
at all - large enough to cause
damage.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Checking in from Tulsa, They have upgraded it to a 5.6

It felt much much stronger than the one late last night, which we both thought was the dog scratching like crazy against the bed and yelled at the poor old girl.

No damage to our home but some stuff fell of the shelves and the house shook like crazy while the dogs lost their minds for a minute or two.

I have lived here my whole life and never felt any of the small but frequent quakes we have. It is not something I wish to ever experience again! We deal with all sorts of wild weather here, but to have the house moving around you like that and be able to hear a groaning/grumbling sound underneath it all was quite scary.

top topics

join