It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A US Sheriff's Department is Launching an Unmanned Helodrone that Could Carry Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

A US Sheriff's Launching Unmanned Helodrone

A sheriff's office in the US state of Texas is taking a big and potentially controversial step forward with a new piece of law enforcement technology.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office in Conroe, Texas, is prepping its deputies to fly a US$300,000 unmanned ShadowHawk helicopter paid for with a Department of Homeland Security grant, that someday might carry a weapons payload.

Sorry cant embed this pic,

This wouldn't mark the first time a law enforcement agency has put a drone in the air, but the potential for carrying anything besides a surveillance payload is unprecedented as far as we've heard.
There won't be any Hellfire missiles here, but ShadowHawk - built locally by a company called Vanguard Defense Industries - is designed to carry a range of less-lethal payloads, including Taser-esque weapons that deliver an electric charge or a firearm that fires beanbag rounds known as stun batons.

Us military Helidrone

But weaponised law enforcement drones? Even loaded with a non-lethal payload the Montgomery Country Sheriff's Department is dipping its toes in uncharted waters.
Texas, out of all the American states with their myriad of novel ways of dealing with criminals, perhaps has a reputation for dealing unsympathetically with lawbreakers, but Texans are also fiercely protective of their civil liberties.
There no telling how this one will shake out, but if Montgomery County can make a success of its drone deployment this could mark the beginning of a larger trend in law enforcement and a larger, more hands-on role for robotics.

More Here
US Air Force micro Avarie

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Sympathy? For law-breakers? It's a choice to break the law. The people who choose not to break the law do not get a reward, so law breakers shouldn"t receive any sympathy. They actually make life more difficult for the law abiding citizen. They are "cheating", so to speak.

I'm glad law enforcement continues to use technology to catch those cheats.
edit on 5-11-2011 by Kaiju because: Typo

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
You know I'll bet some dude is sitting in an engineering lab somewhere saying- thank god I built rc planes as a kid, I'm making tons off it now. I love my job.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join