It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mock Mars mission ‘returns’ to Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I thought this was a pretty interesting story as it reveals the first "successful" mission to Mars. As it turns out there have been previous attempts that ended in failure due to the isolation and the various problems that can and do arise from such an environment.

520 days in isolation with six people ... could you handle it?

Six volunteers, including three Russians (Alexey Sitev, Alexandr Smoleevskiy and Sukhrob Kamolov), as well as representatives from Europe (Romain Charles), China (Wang Yue) and South America (Diego Urbina), can now see daylight for the first time in 520 days. That is the exact time they spent isolated in their mock spaceship, simulating a trip to the Red Planet and back.

The men have been sealed in the mock spacecraft for 17 months. But they never left the Institute of Biomedical Problems in Moscow, and could have quit the Mars-500 isolation experiment at any time.

RT News

I highly suggest reading the entire article as it provides insight into what it takes (psychologically) to complete such a mission. I could only imagine the stress endured by these individuals!

An interesting fact is that when they "landed" on mars the astronauts became so excited that their heart rate increased to 160 B.P.M. ... in a simulation!

I highly suggest those interested to read the article in its entirety. Personally I never knew about this however I am incredibly interested in such a mock trail as it can give great insight into human psychology.

Peace,

-A.S.-

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
send me solo....i could do it standing on my head

as a bartender for over a decade, i would relish the chance to not see another human for a while.

give me a top end pc with a few choice games, and an xbox and 4 years or more would be no problem.

i've had enough social interaction to last a lifetime

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Why the Mars500 mission doesn’t prove we’re psychologically capable of a trip to Mars

io9.com...

join