It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Iraqi War Veteran Hospitalized By Oakland PD, In Intensive Care

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

A second Iraq war veteran has suffered serious injuries after clashes between police and Occupy movement protesters in Oakland. Kayvan Sabehgi, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, is in intensive care with a lacerated spleen. He says he was beaten by police close to the Occupy Oakland camp, but despite suffering agonising pain, did not reach hospital until 18 hours later. Sabehgi, 32, is the second Iraq war veteran to be hospitalised following involvement in Oakland protests.

Another protester, Scott Olsen, suffered a fractured skull on 25 October. On Wednesday night, police used teargas and non-lethal projectiles to drive back protesters following an attempt by the Occupy supporters to shut down the city of Oakland. Sabehgi told the Guardian from hospital he was walking alone along 14th Street in central Oakland – away from the main area of clashes – when he was injured.

"There was a group of police in front of me," he told the Guardian from his hospital bed. "They told me to move, but I was like: 'Move to where?' There was nowhere to move. "Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying 'Why are you doing this?' when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me."

Sabeghi, who left the army in 2007 and now part-owns a small bar-restaurant in El Cerrito, about 10 miles north of Oakland, said he was handcuffed and placed in a police van for three hours before being taken to jail. By the time he got there he was in "unbelievable pain". He said: "My stomach was really hurting, and it got worse to the point where I couldn't stand up. "I was on my hands and knees and crawled over the cell door to call for help." A nurse was called and recommended Sabehgi take a suppository, but he said he "didn't want to take it". He was allowed to "crawl" to another cell to use the toilet, but said it was clogged. "I was vomiting and had diarrhoea," Sabehgi said. "I just lay there in pain for hours." Sabehgi's bail was posted in the mid-afternoon, but he said he was unable to leave his cell because of the pain. The cell door was closed, and he remained on the floor until 6pm, when an ambulance was called

Whether you agree with OWS or not, this kind of police brutality has got to stop. And against our own military members? Makes me sick to my stomach.

This force is not necessary. People are getting severely injured. Women and children. Cops need to find a better way to deal with this than to beat the crap out of seemingly random individuals.

I feel horrible for this man. This is not what he fought for. This is not what he should come home to.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 5-11-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
It's getting ugly. The agent provocateurs and the police are about to turn it up a notch, I believe.

Soon the peaceful resisters will be drawn into bloodshed. Imagine this, and a global conflict starting at the same time.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
This one is even worse, the vet had already left the protest and was on his way home. This article has more information.

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- There are fresh charges of police brutality against a war veteran arrested near an Occupy Oakland demonstration.

The veteran, 32-year-old Kayvan Sabeghi, underwent surgery on Friday for a ruptured spleen. Before he went into surgery, Sabeghi told his sister that he was walking to his home near Frank Ogawa Plaza when he was stopped by police, hit in the abdomen four times and then arrested and taken to jail where he could not receive medical treatment.

ABC 7 KGO-TV San Francisco, CA

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

The behavior of the Oakland protesters has crossed from protesting to rioting. I find it interesting that people will protest / riot in such a manner that requires a police presence, and then get upset when the police respond to attacks - protestors throwing glass bottles, rocks, paint etc.

If your involved in that type of behavior, and the police are going to take action if the illegal behavior doesnt stop, why be surprised by injuries sustained?

If there is contact between the protestors / rioters and the police, it asks the question on why the protestors / rioters closed the distance to be within arms length of the police.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Keep it peaceful, they say. We should be like Gandhi and just take it, they say. The 1% has been using violence against the 99% since the days of the robber barons and beyond. Are we going to continue the cycle of breeding punching bags for the now and future elite? What would Andrew Jackson, John Adams, Marat and Robespierre do? It's time we get mad! Wheres Howard when you need him? Oh, right here:

"All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

- Howard Beale

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

The behavior of the Oakland protesters has crossed from protesting to rioting. I find it interesting that people will protest / riot in such a manner that requires a police presence, and then get upset when the police respond to attacks - protestors throwing glass bottles, rocks, paint etc.

If your involved in that type of behavior, and the police are going to take action if the illegal behavior doesnt stop, why be surprised by injuries sustained?

If there is contact between the protestors / rioters and the police, it asks the question on why the protestors / rioters closed the distance to be within arms length of the police.

I don't disagree with cops responding to unruly protesters. I just think they need to be much more controlled in their response.

I live near Oakland, and have heard some first hand accounts of things not reported. It has gotten ugly. There seems to be a lot of "street people" who have clung on to OWS, for free food, boredom, wanting to cause a disturbance, what have you.

Hence, more protesters, or more likely people appearing to be protesters because they move with the group, are acting out. Yes the cops need to respond, but it has to be much more selective. Can't have all these innocent people being hurt.

This guy was not a threat.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The man was not rioting and in the event that he or anyone was, what right do the cops have to dispense a gang-style beating? With weapons no less! This is clearly attempted murder. The condition the poor vet was left in was deplorable. You, mindless authoritarian robot, are deplorable.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

So you say. The veteran says differently:

Sabehgi told the Guardian from hospital he was walking alone along 14th Street in central Oakland – away from the main area of clashes – when he was injured.

"There was a group of police in front of me," he told the Guardian from his hospital bed. "They told me to move, but I was like: 'Move to where?' There was nowhere to move.

"Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying 'Why are you doing this?' when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me."

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and believe his words rather than your reactionary bs. If you want to make inflammatory declarations, at least go gather some facts to back you up....

Edit: I want to add, just for clarification, that there is a big difference--and a huge split in philosophy and methodology--between the protestors and the troublemakers. It is not--repeat, NOT--the protestors in general who are rioting. It is important to draw that distinction because there are people here who want to cast a wide net and put all the protestors in the riot camp, when in fact this is not true. The rioters are an extremely small minority who invite themselves, cause deep and widespread destruction, and refuse to leave. As I live in Oakland, I hear every day the pleas of the serious protestors for the troublemakers to stop destroying and rioting.

The police and news media are reporting that the general strike yesterday brought out 7,000 people. Other observers who have watched the videos, many of them taken from helicopters, have estimated 100,000. Now compare that to the number of troublemakers, and you'll see that the "protestors," the great majority, are peaceful and serious and trying to do some good. So ignorant and inflammatory remarks to contrary are just that....
edit on 11/5/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: 000

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978

The man was not rioting and in the event that he or anyone was, what right do the cops have to dispense a gang-style beating? With weapons no less! This is clearly attempted murder. The condition the poor vet was left in was deplorable. You, mindless authoritarian robot, are deplorable.

I see your ignorance knows no bounds. While its nice that you were capable of forming an opinion, your opinion is not law. How about you actually learn the law before commenting / attacking me.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Reactionary BS - lol thats a good one. How about you learn what the law says and how your rights work before trying to take me to task. I understand there is a difference between protesting and rioting. What is going on in Oakland is rioting.

Do we know if this guy was intentionally targeted? What were his actions prior to the contact? Why was he close to where the police line was? Did he refuse to comply with officers? Did he ignore any commands the police might have given?

What we have is one side of the story coupled with people jumping on the eveil goivernment bandwagon while they completely ignore the actions of protestors who are out of control. What you and others dont see, or refuse to accept, is that whether its 5k people or 5 million people, law enforcement cannot watch each and every individual who is present. You guys are seeing this from the protest look at the police view point, where you see large groups of police.

What you dont see, or even take into account, is that the police ae looking out at the protestors, which could be described as an ocean of people. Trying to locate one individual who went beyond protesting is about impossible. That is why the tactic moves to crowd control and crowd disbursement.

I dont have issues if people think the police are in the wrong. Some of you arrive at that conclusion simply because you dont know the law. People like to think their opinion overrides any laws they dont agree with while seeing police brutality and conspiracies all around.

The police would not even need to be there in force if the gathering of protestors can behave themselves. If OWS doesnt want to have their issue hijacked, then maybe those people should work with the police to remove the ones who are causing the problems.

It takes 2 to tango.
But hey - by all means continue down your myopic road.
edit on 5-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Uh Huh. This is the kind of thinking that always gets cops in trouble. Someone commits a crime? Take it out on everyone that looks like that person.

Plus I honestly have no sympathy for cops in full riot gear getting hit by rocks and bottles LoL. This protest is not a riot at all. There have been two clashes that the cops admit they were confused about the first and only after the cops moved in on the protesters did they start throwing rocks and bottles. That is a fact.

You are not capable of saying no to the police. Even in a case like this of extreme brutality against an innocent person.

It only looks like a riot because of the cops. I have seen riots. This is no riot. It's a little tent village.
I would also actually bet money that if the cops werent in their storm trooper outfits there wouldnt be any bottle or rock throwing. Those outfits invite it. I wouldn't throw anything thinking I would hurt someone, because I am not that person, but if I was pissed off and could lend a violent/symbolic gesture knowing it wouldnt hurt the person. I'd do it and it would probably feel good.
edit on 5-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

The law states that police can attack peaceful protesters and get away with it? One vet gets shot point blank and brain damaged. Another vet is beaten, gang style, with weapons and left critically injured with a ruptured spleen. Furthermore, a concussion granade is thrown into a group of peaceful protesters attempting to aid the injured vet. So, in your authoritarian, tyrannical planet this is the law? You are out of your mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Uh Huh. This is the kind of thinking that always gets cops in trouble. Someone commits a crime? Take it out on everyone that looks like that person.

You mean like how OWS is upset with banks and large corporations while taking it out on shops / stores / businesses that have nothing to do with banks or large corporations? That always gets "protesters in trouble.

Plus I honestly have no sympathy for cops in full riot gear getting hit by rocks and bottles LoL.

Love the hypocrisy man.. direct, straight forward and not surprising.

This protest is not a riot at all. There have been two clashes that the cops admit they were confused about the first and only after the cops moved in on the protesters did they start throwing rocks and bottles. That is a fact.

Actually its not a fact. Cops moved in when protestors decided to occupy private property and refuse orders to leave. They arent familiar with the concept of private property apparently. Throwing rocks / bottles etc was the first action and came from protstors, not the police.

You are not capable of saying no to the police. Even in a case like this of extreme brutality against an innocent person.

Actually I am quite capable of telling an officer no, and have done so. Since you have absolutely no idea who I am or my background, your doing nothing but making false claims against me. As I said, and its apparently something you and others cant grasp, is your opinion does not trump law. If you and others are going to advocate violence against the police while ignoring laws you dont agree with, then why shouldnt the police respond and break up the protests?

It only looks like a riot because of the cops. I have seen riots. This is no riot. It's a little tent village.

Actually, again, you are wrong. When a large group of people go from peaceful protests to damagin c/ destroying private property, setting items on fire, blocking public right of ways, seizing the 5th busiest port in the US all the while attacking police with items - is not protesting.

Its rioting.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

For the moment lets leave aside the whole idea of protesting versus rioting. I do understand the difference and somewhat agree with you on the consequences.

Now, whether Kayvan Sabeghi was a rioter or not, or he was departing the area, as ordered by police, or not, is beside the point.

It is unconscionable that the Officer in charge of the holding cells did not call for immediate medical attention when the man was in so much pain that he was unable to stand upright and walk. He also should not have received verbal attacks accusing him of being a heroin addict or alcoholic.

These were criminal actions performed by the officer or officers involved.
edit on 5-11-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

The law states that police can attack peaceful protesters and get away with it?

Nope - you need to quit seeing only what you want while ignoring anything else that doesnt support your position. Peaceful protestors have not been arrested now have they? I dont understand why you and others think protestors do no wrong.

One vet gets shot point blank and brain damaged.

Any particular reason your lying? The Marine is expected to make a full recovery with no brain damage. Or did you ignore it because it didnt support your agenda?

Another vet is beaten, gang style, with weapons and left critically injured with a ruptured spleen.

Says the vet. How bout we see what the other side of the story is. Gee, I cant imagine why anyone would make up a story about police brutality.

Furthermore, a concussion granade is thrown into a group of peaceful protesters attempting to aid the injured vet. So, in your authoritarian, tyrannical planet this is the law? You are out of your mind.

Flash bangs dont give off anything except a loud noise and a bright flash, and are designed to be used near people. Since the investigation is ongoing with the first vet incident, how about we wait to see what comes of it before you do the 100 meter rush to judgment?

I get the fact you and most people on this site hate police / government. Whats funny is the constant screaming of people demanding the law be followed and for cops to be charged etc etc etc, while in the same breath adovcating an action towards law enforcement they just got done screaming about.

Ironic.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Well hopefully this may cause the authorities a big problems. Hope the guy makes it. Its time for oakland civil units to arrest these criminal police.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gamesmaster63
For the moment lets leave aside the whole idea of protesting versus rioting. I do understand the difference and somewhat agree with you on the consequences.

Question - How come the OWS groups dont put a stop to the people who are hijacking the protest?

Now, whether Kayvan Sabeghi was a rioter or not, or he was departing the area, as ordered by police, or not, is beside the point.

Actually it does make a difference, and his actions and interactions with law enforcement need to be looked at in its entirety to determine what happened, why it happened, and circumstances surrounding the incident. If that info is not looked at, then its going to be difficult for the vet to be able to sue for excessive use of force / civil rights violation.

It is unconscionable that the Officer in charge of the holding cells did not call for immediate medical attention when the man was in so much pain that he was unable to stand upright and walk.

Actually he did receive prompt medical attention. If you read the article you would have noticed that the jail medical staff was called to check on him. At no point did he request to go to the hospital..

He also should not have received verbal attacks accusing him of being a heroin addict or alcoholic.

I forgot we are suppose to hug everyone we come into contact with.

These were criminal actions performed by the officer or officers involved.
edit on 5-11-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: (no reason given)

Actually there was no criminal behavior. If you read the ops article the guy contradicts himself, explains how he came into contact with the police, how he ignored the commands of those officers to move elsewhere and then he decided to question the officers as to why they are doing what they are doing.

He was given ample opprotunity to remove himself from that situation. Secondly we dont know how his spleen was injured. You can make a leap of logic and assume it occured with the police encounter, however we dont know that. Even the article doesnt explain how the injury occured.

The incident that night was large scale, and the rioters (not protestors) decided they were going to shut the ciuty down in addition to occupying a vacant building.

While you are holding law enforcement accountible, which is fine and I support that, you guys really need to take the blinders off when it comes to the actions of people in the crowd.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Question - How come the OWS groups dont put a stop to the people who are hijacking the protest?

If you read some of the other articles that can be found using search engines, they are. They may not be effective, but they are. If the OWS groups would turn the "agents provocateur" to the police much of this could be stopped.

Actually it does make a difference, and his actions and interactions with law enforcement need to be looked at in its entirety to determine what happened, why it happened, and circumstances surrounding the incident. If that info is not looked at, then its going to be difficult for the vet to be able to sue for excessive use of force / civil rights violation.

I didn't say it made no difference, I simply said to set it aside for now. I was looking at the reported treatment of this vet. By all reports I have found, he was being non-violent and non-confrontational, at the time this occurred. Unless questioning an officer is confrontational?

Actually he did receive prompt medical attention. If you read the article you would have noticed that the jail medical staff was called to check on him. At no point did he request to go to the hospital.

This time you are the one making an assumption, neither article linked yet says one way or another whether he requested to go to the hospital. Also, why was the cell door closed on him after bail had been posted?

I forgot we are suppose to hug everyone we come into contact with.

I never said anything of the sort, but a little human courtesy does no harm, in fact, it usually does good.

Actually there was no criminal behavior. If you read the ops article the guy contradicts himself, explains how he came into contact with the police, how he ignored the commands of those officers to move elsewhere and then he decided to question the officers as to why they are doing what they are doing.

He was given ample opprotunity to remove himself from that situation. Secondly we dont know how his spleen was injured. You can make a leap of logic and assume it occured with the police encounter, however we dont know that. Even the article doesnt explain how the injury occured.

I may have mispoken there, we will not know whether there was criminal behavior on the part of the officers involved until after the investigation, but the police behavior described after the arrest was inappropriate.

He was already remoning himself from the situation, he was walking home and was already not in the immediate area of the rioting. I will admit that I am assuming the injury occurred with the police encounter, that is all the imformation we have at this time. BTW, I have suffered from a lacerated and ruptured spleen, and I am here to tell you, the pain is far beyond abdominal distress, it is intense and immediate.

While you are holding law enforcement accountible, which is fine and I support that, you guys really need to take the blinders off when it comes to the actions of people in the crowd.

I agree with you here, but my point is that from all the information available at this time, this vet was not in the crowd when this occurred.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
What I've seen from Xcathdra, with all due respect, is a problem many see regarding the culture in law enforcement.

Xcathdra, you seem more concerned with protecting, and making excuses for the officers involved, then showing any compassion whatsoever for the member of our military who was locked in a jail cell and suffered a lacerated spleen during an apparent assault.

Just an observation.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Where is the hypocrisy? They sure as hell aren't shooting the cops in the #ing face!

Also, aside from one cafe on WALL STREET I'd like to see how they are effecting businesses? That's B.S. The whole foods store was attacked by provocatuers, and I believe it was peaceful occupiers that tried to stop them.

Treat peaceful protesters like criminals for so long they become rioters. Cops fault.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join