It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese DF-31 Long-range Ballistic Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
China is the biggest peace lover in the world! China is the only country which announced never use nuke first in any condition.
Chinese love peace forever!!!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
very nice missiles! have you got any specifications about them?

It's good to see that China won't use nukes first and they are there to protect the Chinese people from foreign hostilities.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
When are these pictures taken? I forget when was the last YUE BING.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

[edit on 2-9-2004 by chinatea]
DF-31 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile

NAME
PLA designation: Dong Feng-31 (DF-31)
NATO code-name: CSS-9

CONTRACTOR: China Academy of Rocket Motors Technology (ARMT)

SERVICE STATUS: The deployment of the missile may have already begun, though more test fires might be needed before the missile becomes fully operational

PROGRAMME

The Dong Feng-31 (DF-31) represents a new generation of ICBM for the PLA 2nd Artillery. As with the JL-1/DF-21 combination, the DF-31 and JL-2 are land-based and sea-based variants of the same missile. Development of the three-stage solid-fuel DF-25 began in 1978, but was later halted. In 1985 the programme was resumed and renamed as DF-31.

The DF-31 first fired in April 1992, however exploded shortly after launch due to faulty components in the booster assembly, killing 21 people and injuring another 58. The second fire was also said to be a failure. The first successful fire test took place in 1995. The military parade celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the PRC on the 1st of October 1999 saw the DF-31 show itself to the world, hauled by a 16-wheeled Hongyan transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) vehicle through Tiananmen Square.

DF-31 ICBM system

Two live fires were conducted in November and December of 2000 as US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Henry Shelton visited Nanjing for PLA war games. The shots were fired from the Wuzhai Space and Missile Centre and were monitored by US intelligence ships. The close proximity in timing of the two tests came as a surprise to foreign observers, nonetheless the underlying political statement was clear. Another test came on the 23rd of November 2002, this time blasting off from Shandong Province and flew for 1,700 km to a designated target in the Xinjiang desert.

DESIGN FEATURES

The DF-31 is a three-stage, solid fuel, 8,000~10,000 km range ICBM, which could reach targets in entire Europe, the west coast and several northern Rocky Mountain states of America. Current load of the missile is a single 700 kg one-megaton yield thermonuclear warhead, although MIRV with lighter yield warheads is an expected option.

As part of the new generation of missiles, the DF-31's characteristics include road mobility, advanced materials engineering for payload and booster, improved solid-fuel propellant as well as endoatmospheric re-entry decoys, making it very difficult to counterattack at any stage of its operation, from pre-flight mobile operations through to terminal flight phases.

DF-31 ICBM carried on a Hongyan TEL

So far the DF-31 has only been seen carried on a sixteen-wheel TEL derived from civilian truck for road mobility. The appearance of the TEL suggests that the system only possesses very limited, if any, off-road deployment capability. China has been studying the Russian-made six-axis TEL which can mobile in cross-country conditions, but has yet produced a capable TEL capable of carrying over 30-ton payload.

As well as being road mobile, the DF-31 might also be rail deployed. There are reports that suggest the limited deployment capability of the road mobile variant, where specific road conditions are required, therefore the rail-deployed variant seems very credible.

SPECIFICATIONS

Configuration: Three stage
Length: ~10 m
Diameter: ~2 m
Launch Weight: >20,000 kg
Propellant: Solid fuel
Guidance: Inertial (?)
Range: 8,000~10,000 km
Deployment: Silo or mobile
Re-entry Vehicle Mass: ~700 kg
Warhead: One single 1,000 kT, or up to three 50~100 kT multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicle (MIRV)
CEP: 400 to 500 m
Launch Preparation Time: ~15 min

[edit on 2-9-2004 by chinatea]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:07 AM
link   
very impressive and it's good to see the Chinese pursuing such a capable missile. I hope to see an off-road version soon.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Wouldn't it fly further if it was streamlined?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordofLard

funny enough the tube ur seeing isn't the missile , it contains the missile DUH!!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bl00D_Th0rN

funny enough the tube ur seeing isn't the missile , it contains the missile DUH!!

Really? Is that why US missiles fly further?- Because they're pointy?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Sorry to disappoint u dude
but it is related : air resistance , temperature, and delivering the missile to its destination.... sorry if i have taken u for a dumb as*
but still any genius ( like u
) would still know this isn't the only reason ( supposing they're not streamlined)

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Bl00D_Th0rN]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Sorry to disappoint u dude
but it is related : air resistance , temperature, and delivering the missile to its destination.... sorry if i have taken u for a dumb as*
but still any genius ( like u
) would still know this isn't the only reason ( supposing they're not streamlined)

Didn't you find my sarcasm & wit hilarious??

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
According to Chi' sources, this particular missile was "tailored" for targets within Russia.....not the US, though it can reach the West Coast of the US and most of Europe, as well.....
China's Nuclear Force
Is it a threat to the US? Sure.
But....
Is it just as much a threat to Russia, Japan, Europe, etc. also? Damn skippy!

IMHO, I don't understand the big deal with this particular missile, NOR why it is being broadcasted within this forum or ATS as something "new"....

I mean geez....its been out and in service since 1999:
Missile Threat: CSS-9

seekerof

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
very impressive and it's good to see the Chinese pursuing such a capable missile. I hope to see an off-road version soon.

thanks,
drfunk

that is real topsecret,chinese poeple counld not see that

but maybe not exist�Cbecause usa spy satellite�c�c

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinatea

I am wondering whether you can also find DF-41 or its variant for us.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

does it exist now?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

does it exist now?

I think so. But I guess it is top secret.

[edit on 3-9-2004 by zcheng]

new topics

top topics

join