It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the MSM purposely under report Occupy Oakland General Strike turnout?? 7,000 vs. 100,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who participated the general strike which shut down the port. She says that she would call it more along the lines of 25-30k people. I've seen sources that say up to 100,000 people. And from this video, it does look like at least 20k to me.

The MSM have been sticking to the number 7000 since the march took place.

San Fran Chronicle

An estimated 7,000 people take to the streets of Oakland in a huge general strike called by Occupy Oakland and supported by Quan.

This blog, posted in the blogging section on that same site, refutes the 7000 count, and reports 100,000.

SF Chronicle Blog

Oakland’s Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan (a capable and politically smart leader in a tough position) got the Occupy Oakland General Strike crowd count massively wrong: it’s not 7,000, but 100,000.

For that to happen all day long and considering the capacity of the plaza and the crowds outside of it points to 100,000 people. I’ve never seen anything like that in the entire history of this city.

The bottom line is all of this Occupy Oakland General Strike business has been misreported. The count is 100,000, not 7,000. And the night of activities should not be seen as marring a successful day of parties and festivities.

The Occupy Oakland website, reports at least 20,000 participants.

Over 20,000 people joined the march which made its way to the main entrance of the port and shut it down completely.

I posted the aerial view youtube video. you be the judge.

peace

ETA: Watching that video hyped me up big time. Mad dope energy emanating from the crowd. Love it.

edit on 5-11-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Wanted to add, I've been looking through various news stories, and only when I travel outside of the MSM do I find other numbers. Those include: 20k, 45k, 35k, 50k, and 55k. Aside from MSM, 7k is not understood as the number. And that video speaks volumes.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
And MANY, MANY, MANY of our fine military folks and [color=cyan] veterans attended it as well!!

Unlike those LIARS and DEVILS at the wealthy-loving Conservative, Right-wing extremist media outlets, and the internet SHILLS, and those greedy corrupt SNAKES among us here who spew propaganda in hopes of having us believe that its all lazy kids and hippies there.

HOORAY for our fine MILITARY FOLKS and [color=cyan]VETERANS who want better futures for their children and grandchildren unlike the SHILLS and DEVILS in this country who want the MADNESS to continue for our children and grandchildren.

Hooray for them and the Occupy movement!!!

edit on 5-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
And MANY, MANY, MANY of our fine military folks and [color=cyan] veterans attended it as well!!

Unlike those LIARS and DEVILS at Fox news, and the internet SHILLS, and those greedy corrupt SNAKES among us here who spew propaganda in hopes of having us believe that its all lazy kids and hippies there.

HOORAY for our fine MILITARY FOLKS and VETERANS who want better futures for their children and grandchildren unlike the SHILLS and DEVILS in this country who want the MADNESS to continue for our children and grandchildren.

Hooray for them all!!!
edit on 5-11-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Very spirited for an early morning. But yes, shout out to the men and women who DON'T WANNA GO BACK TO WAR. I'm very thankful that they're choosing to join this fight.

Now we just need numbers like this, in EVERY major city one day. It would be a day to remember.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
None of you seem to remember that there were MILLIONS of people protesting the Iraq war. Biggest protests in the history of the world. Still accomplished NOTHING.

Some day maybe the sheeple will realize their voices don't count.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
None of you seem to remember that there were MILLIONS of people protesting the Iraq war. Biggest protests in the history of the world. Still accomplished NOTHING.

What might that have to do with this thread? I mean really though..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

I think I've heard this before...

I take it this email titled "Regions CheckCard Fee Eliminated November 1" wouldn't have anything to do with sheeple and their voices? Of course, they're just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts right, along with the other banks.

Change is all a matter of 'perspective'. Maybe 'you' don't see it, but there is a lot of 'change' going on right now.. And no, this has nothing to do with O'bummer.

I'd love to throw out a number in regards to the crowd size, but I can't see the entire crowd, need a better vantage point.
edit on 11/5/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

That video alone is where I gather 20,000. Eye witnesses on the ground are going much higher than that.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Look how many people are awake. Just imagine how many more are awake and still rising.. It's rare that I feel especially proud like this.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

Well according to state run news, it's only 7000 people awake in Oakland. lol

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Oakland's movement will probably make the biggest first strikes into the heart of this beast. It could get ugly, but we have to be strong. Just because you are a police officer, a Senator, even a PRESIDENT, you are not exempt from morality, and you are not exempt from the workings of nature.

Let's bring on some change and truth!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xacto

Shouts out to Oakland Calfornia. I hope they keep it peaceful, but show out in numbers even more than this, and inspire the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is beautiful footage! Thanks a lot OP.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The MSM is digging its own grave by not even taking the time to come up with believable lies.

Only helps more people wake up.

Anyone with interest in OWS, whether they participate or not, can see the lies in the coverage. At least they should start seeing the lies.

There is no flippin way there are 7K people in that picture.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
The MSM is digging its own grave by not even taking the time to come up with believable lies.

Only helps more people wake up.

Anyone with interest in OWS, whether they participate or not, can see the lies in the coverage. At least they should start seeing the lies.

There is no flippin way there are 7K people in that picture.

So do you think the point is to make it seem like Occupy Oakland has only a small amount of support?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I can just imagine the amount of name calling and increase in name calling by the shills that can't own up to the fact that it isn't hippies, street people and left wing zealots involved in this movement.... Thy were saying that this would be over in a few days 5 weeks ago and yet it is constantly becoming larger and more organized...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
I can just imagine the amount of name calling and increase in name calling by the shills that can't own up to the fact that it isn't hippies, street people and left wing zealots involved in this movement.... Thy were saying that this would be over in a few days 5 weeks ago and yet it is constantly becoming larger and more organized...

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody said this was super imposition at work. This is authentic. This is not hippies. (It was never a "hippie movement" the shills were just falling for the media). This is real people, with real problems, and real anger. They need to get that through their heads. That's 100k from ONE city. The people will win.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And what exactly do the people win?

The elite, the so called 1% are far more dependent on the system to remain intact than the absolute poorest of the poor are. With the system gone, so is their wealth. That is the thing about wealth centered on a fiat currency. When no one believes in the supposed value, it becomes valueless.

The demands that I have heard: Free Education, Free Housing, Free Jobs (at a higher rate of pay), Free Redistribution of Wealth, Free This and Free That all come at a price.

And that price is that the very system that these 1% depend on in order to retain their wealth will indeed continue on. In fact, will have to expand. So let me ask this simple question: Who is really benefitting the most should these Occupy Movements succeed?

I don't think it is me. And before the assumption comes out about if I am in the 1%, consider this...In this year I was unemployed for the first 8 months and cashed in my 401K (what was left of them) in order to just keep a roof over my head. I am working now. Two jobs in fact. And within 6 months, I may be able to recover from the lost income. Rather than sit and complain, I found a small part time job and start busting my butt on the weekend until I could find a weekday job. I do both and clear roughly $500-$600 a week after taxes. Not much, but given that for the first eight months I did what I could to get by be it skipping meals or sitting in the dark without the benefit electricity, internet nor phone for some periods. So I may be able to save $700-$1000 a month if I chose to not spend it on frivolities.

Demands to people that don't know you are the epitome of self-serving greed. Of course they won't listen. I have little remorse in not selling beer to anyone that cannot produce an ID proving they are over 21. The consequences are that I pay a huge fine and risk my employer losing his license which would put three shops in this town alone out of business. Sure I hear the sob stories of how they just want a beer and it isn't hurting anyone. But the point is that everything in this world is often times bigger than yourself and what you can see from your own perspective.

Sure the system is rigged by the people that make the rules. But the beauty of the system is that you have the opportunity to try to carve out a slice for yourself. It take luck and work and yes you can fail. The trick is to not to try to reinvent the wheel. Take fast food as an example, none of the big names produce an honest to god tasty hamburger and french fries that don't taste like they were carved from a block of salt. Wendy's has a good burger and McDonald's has halfway decent fries. Be the one that provides both for a reasonable price and you will compete with them both. Do the same thing and they will crush you. Overprice your meal and the public will go elsewhere as well. Sure it takes start up capital that you either have or will have to borrow. Don't like the banking practices then go to each and every protester in Oakland. Explain what you want to do and ask if they will give you a dollar to make that plan come true. You will have between $7000-$100,000 start up if you plan is solid enough for the person to give you a dollar.

The system is there, but there are ways around it. And it is all valid and legal as a one dollar gift is not taxable income. In fact, if your goal is to be the President you can fill out the paperwork and it is called campaign contributions.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 7-11-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

top topics

join