It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steyr AUG

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is the ultimate .223 / 5.56 autoloader. I wanted something that took bog standard NATO ammo and have heard of issues from several designated marksmen about their woes regarding the AR platform.

Pluses - barrels auto-index, you can change a barrel in 5 seconds and it will sight where the last one did. Totally modular design. Heavy for its size, which means zero felt recoil and quicker back-on-target.

The only downside I know of is that parts are pricey.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's a neat weapon but I don't like the fact that the sight/scope is permanently attached. I'd rather have something modular with Picatinny rails.

U

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Not a HUGE fan, but everything you say is spot on with the exception of the M4/ARs and ammo

The Bushmaster XM15 is simply fantastic

Yet

The Steyr is a superb superior weapon

Semper

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

The AUG is a different and interesting weapon, FAST rate of auto fire, low recoil thanks to 5.56/.223, and can be stripped quickly on certain parts barrels mostly. The ONLY real item I have with this firearm is mud and blood.

Can it perform well in rough conditions? I've only seen it on ranges and/or urban drills and held by personel is "Secure" areas. No real mud and blood action as I said earlier.

ALSO a pricey peace, 2000+ for some models, I'll pass for an AR or AK or if I wanted to waste 2000+ a custom M1A/M14 with cash left for ammo

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by USarmyFL

Originally posted by USarmyFL
It's a neat weapon but I don't like the fact that the sight/scope is permanently attached. I'd rather have something modular with Picatinny rails.

The AUG comes in many different configurations, one to fit just about anyone's needs/taste.

Yes, the original AUG A1 had an integrated telescopic sight but those limited selection days have since past.

While I may not agree with the OP that it is the "ultimate .223"; it is an accurate/reliable firearm.

The pros far outweigh the few cons with the AUG, a firearm I have enjoyed over many years.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I've used one on active service in the tropics, and the Australian forces have been using them for almost years now in various theatres, from desert to jungle. They have performed extremely well and require a minimal maintenance and cleaning. I recall seeing an army video years ago during the Steyr evaluation and they were put through all sorts of punishment (water, dirt, sand, being dropped, etc.) then tested to see if they would still fire. They passed with flying colours. Having said that, the SAS don't use them - I think they prefer M4 carbines...but they have access to whatever they want.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Not a HUGE fan, but everything you say is spot on with the exception of the M4/ARs and ammo

The Bushmaster XM15 is simply fantastic

I completely agree. The Bushmaster XM15 series rifles and carbines are absolutely wonderful weapons. I have a 20" HBAR and my wife owns the M4 version.

Doesn't like steel cased ammo much, but I don't like crap ammo anyway.

The Steyr is a superb superior weapon

I have never put my hands on a Steyr I thought was crap. Ever.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by USarmyFL

U

Mine is the AUG A3 with no sights, just a big rail on top and a smaller one off to the side. I have a set of Troy Industries tritium night sights (HK pattern) installed on it.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkej23
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

The AUG is a different and interesting weapon, FAST rate of auto fire, low recoil thanks to 5.56/.223, and can be stripped quickly on certain parts barrels mostly. The ONLY real item I have with this firearm is mud and blood.

Can it perform well in rough conditions? I've only seen it on ranges and/or urban drills and held by personel is "Secure" areas. No real mud and blood action as I said earlier.

ALSO a pricey peace, 2000+ for some models, I'll pass for an AR or AK or if I wanted to waste 2000+ a custom M1A/M14 with cash left for ammo

The AUG is the standard weapon for Austria, Australia, the US Border Patrol, and I believe Singapore makes a home-brewed version that they are rolling out as the main component of their future weapon system.

Yeah it was $2000 bucks or so when I bought mine. I guess they aren't being made here in the USA any more since Sabre Defense got caught smuggling weapon parts into Britain, so my bet is that they will soon be worth more as a used item than it cost me.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
MSAR still makes civilian AUG variants for sale in the US.
MSAR for sale 1699

I like the AUG .... but like many others out there I stick with the AR because of the price.

top topics

join