It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close encounter of an asteroid kind: Not that big of deal. It's all about fear $$$

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Panhandling by JPL. news.yahoo.com... JPL wants you to be fearful so they get more of your tax dollars as like it's not a big money pit already. JPL, a muddy porky pig pit. This is all about the bums that work at JPL wanting a bigger slice of the national budget pie. They're using fear as a vehicle to cut that bigger slice of pie in the future.

You see the asteroid was never that close in any real threatening relative terms. 201,700 miles that's a big space between Earth and IT. So IT was never that big of a deal. It's was all whipped up spin BS by media friends of global warming hysteria that JPL and NASA as a whole is apart of and want to profit off of eventually.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You do realize that quite a few scientific advancements come from the exploration of space right? I have no problem with my tax dollars going to JPL and NASA to me it's better to spend money this way instead of spending it going around the world killing people that haven't done anything to us.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Just gathering a few decent facts from that article ...

The last time an asteroid flew this close to Earth was in 1976. The next time won't be until 2028.

news.yahoo.com...

We don't have to concern about another massive asteroid for sixteen whole years! Worry down, and good to recall for debunking purposes.

Here's the closer call they spoke of ...

Bus-Sized Asteroid Barely Misses Hitting Earth
June 27, 2011

A small asteroid, estimated between 16 and 65 feet in diameter, whipped past Earth this afternoon – missing by a mere 7,600 miles.

Asteroid 2011 MD approached Earth at 1 p.m. EDT a full three and-a-half hours later than astronomers first predicted, the AP reports.

Asteroid 2011 MD passed Earth on June 27.

The space agency had earlier predicted no probability of the asteroid striking the Earth.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Greetings;

Does it bother only us that the same picture being bandied about - yesterday on CNN - and now here, is the very same photo we posted in our thread way back in February?

One might think that in eight months, at what, 30/kps (?), 2005 YU55 would have gotten a wee bit closer for a better photograph, right?

At least, that's what Immortal inferred, right, Unk?

Peace Love Light

tfw

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

To aswer you question, I realize that in the past such may have been the case, but today NASA has become a pork barrel along with its wing JPL. A pork barrel which is nothing more than a haven for overly educated welfare hounds.

For the rest I shall refer you to your own avatar.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

"16 and 65 feet in diameter" And so that would had done what to the Earth if it had hit our atmosphere, and maybe what was left after doing so hitting the surface?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thorfourwinds

Greetings;

Does it bother only us that the same picture being bandied about - yesterday on CNN - and now here, is the very same photo we posted in our thread way back in February?
What thread posted back in February, lil one, link? And who is we? Many minds within one?

Originally posted by thorfourwinds One might think that in eight months, at what, 30/kps (?), 2005 YU55 would have gotten a wee bit closer for a better photograph, right?
Maybe the article author didn't want to spring for more recent photos. Hey, anyway why would more recent photos look any different? Within eight months the resolution would not be really any greater given the high capability of modern telescopes.

Originally posted by thorfourwinds At least, that's what Immortal inferred, right, Unk?
lil wise could have gotten a great pic huh? No one gives lil wise any due respect. That's got to change. Therefore I assigned you to post the best cosmic pics here so you have an opportunity to gain great respect on ATS.

Originally posted by thorfourwinds Peace Love Light

tfw
Back to ya, "Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."
edit on 5-11-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: I had a quote box issue.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

The Answer is here (from Justme888 lol ) - That one made me smile this morning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

On other news, I found the reason your thread might exist. Check the fit (top of page two for my explanation). ...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

The Answer is here (from Justme888 lol ) - That one made me smile this morning.

This one?> Q- "It's my delusion that I am to master cause and effect majic, and i'm here to stop a comet from hitting us!

I been studying majic for a while now, so that we all live and a comet don't hit.

*Changes dimensions where there is no comet heading at us.* " end quote

Yeah, that's cute.

Originally posted by Northwarden On other news, I found the reason your thread might exist. Check the fit (top of page two for my explanation). ...

Let me guess this one?> Q- "2005 YU55 has been known about since, well, 2005. It passes the Earth about once every year and is not a threat. There are plenty of threads on this already and every time the story is the same. 2005 YU55 is not a threat. Stop worrying about it." end quote

Or is are you referring to the animated diagram in the article link of the open?

I'm a bit confused to what "two" explanations you are referring too in your play on words "two" 4 "too."

After all someone told me once that I'm the slowest star in the universe.
I need animated diagrams to understand the simplest of concepts.

edit on 5-11-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: I had to straighten out some quote boxes. I forgot to add some / marks in my end [quotes]. :-(

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Haha, it's all subjective. Thing I found most humourous in the first was the "fill it with jello, and let's have some fun"! comment, and in the second, it was the larger scope of their whole thread message (compared to the re-assuring message of yours, which is based on good facts).

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Jello makes people mellow, and that's the tranquility ingredient which is essential to making fun.

I tell ya what though I just roll over with laughter reading Xcalibur254 posts, and the backlash she receives being a know it all.

new topics

top topics

join