It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kola Super Deep Borehole leads researchers to think that water is very common in the universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

A few years ago, scientists made an amazing discovery experimenting with water under extreme heat and pressure. The process-subjected water to a pressure of 170,000 times greater than that of sea level atmospheric pressure then bombarded it with x rays. The result was the water molecules split and reformed into a previously unknown crystalline solid made of H2 molecules and O2 molecules. The new element remained stable under various pressures and looks promising as a possible new source of a solid fuel cell. The remarkable changes in the molecular structure of water under extreme conditions could mean that Earth and all other planets formed out of an initial nucleus of water. Through time, all elements in existence may be the result of molecular changes from this simple sphere of water in the beginning.

We are discovering almost on a daily basis that many planets and moons seem to have H2O either on them, in the atmosphere, or under the surface.

source

We know that water means life. If water is now thought to be everywhere, does that mean life is everywhere too?

This also answers the age old question of, how is water made? Probably by doing something like this!
edit on 4-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Interesting subject. I believe much of the water we have comes from deep underground and is combined in the process of the creation of abiotic oil.

I just query why the article referenced show the Mir diamond mine in Siberia which is thousands of miles from the Kola Superdeep borehole

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Probably couldn't get a picture of the borehole.
That was a cold war thing, and the Russians may not be so open to sharing everything that they found/did with us.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
From the OP's source:

At the edge of the universe where all physical properties cease, may lay an icy substance resembling H2O from which all energy processes within the universe rely on for life itself. The element of water may be the substance from which all matter in existence in the physical universe originated.

There is something profoundly beautiful about this theory.

(even if they gaffed by calling water an element. It's a molecule.)
edit on 4-11-2011 by blamethegreys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Elements are not only found on the periodic table.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Mine are! I deal in elements, molecules, and minerals. I can't get away with mix n matching nomenclature, so I hold a science news writer to the same standards! (I know, good luck with that! ;P )

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
This also answers the age old question of, how is water made? Probably by doing something like this!

Take a bucket of Hydrogen, pour in a bucket of Oxygen... add a small spark and KABOOM instant water

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by blamethegreys

Elements are not only found on the periodic table.

Call me dense on this one but.....I feel like I have some Special Needs....or an explaination for this reply. If you could be so kind? Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I suspect that the OP was referring to the 'traditional' alchemical elements. You know, earth, air, fire, and water. These are also commonly referred to as elements, even though they are definitely not the periodic elements.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Scientifically speaking, an element is a single atom unit of matter with a distinct set of protons, neutrons and electrons. learn here!

Water is a molecule, which by definition is a combination of two or more atoms bonded to one another electrically.

Outside of scientific definition, water is commonly referred to as an element (along with fire, air and earth). I was just being a butthead for fun

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Great article bud! What an exciting discovery! That pic of the hole is wild!!! How the hell did they dig a hole that big? Its an engineering marvel (to me anyways lol).

Follow the money, eh, water!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You can't get molecules to bond so easily, but nice try.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Watch the Fifth Element, you'll get it.

top topics

join