It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepper Spray. Defense against police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have a question for others that are more knowledgeable in this sort of subject. What do you think would happen if you use pepper spray on an officer?

Lets say an officer started to pepper spray you without warning, as we have seen in recent videos on the web. Would it be considered an assault on an officer if you were to return the favor? Or would it be considered self-defense?

I've tried to obtain more info on this, but to no avail.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think it would be a bad idea, I think they would go for the taser on their belt.

I think you should carefully review other options.

ed: if you were assaulted first, unfortunatly, the best defence you've got is a lawyer.
edit on 4/11/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think the first.

Unless the officer is filmed and uses other excessive force I think a "civilian" would definitely get some sort of reprimand.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

Thanks for the response.

I know it isn't the best idea, but what other options do we have to protect ourselves? They don't exactly issue halos with their badges. Are we at the mercy of these men and women in blue?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Unless you were being openly violated ie sexually assaulted or the like in front of multiple witnesses, any attempt at physical retaliation against the police is felony assault. There are, however, some exceptions to this as a quick Google search turned this up:

www.pittsburghlive.com...

Not the same exact scenario but precedent none-the-less.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It will not be as effective as if it was done onto the the citizen. Cops need to get sprayed before being authorized to carry and use the pepper spray. After my 3rd time being sprayed I could wipe the OC from my eyes and of my face with little irritation.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
I think the first.

Unless the officer is filmed and uses other excessive force I think a "civilian" would definitely get some sort of reprimand.

Yeah, you don't have the boys in blue back at the police deptartment to cover up your crimes for you.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by UnaChispa

I'm simply saying in theory the law is the only defence against the law, in the real world thats not going to translate well until you reach a courtroom with evidence of said assault. don't give them anything worth a dime to fall back on if such corruption reaches out and beats you in the face.

not all cops are as bad as recent and older video's have indicated, but it happens. rise above, and if all else fails, do what you must and what you can live with.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It is your right that if you feel your life is in danger you may defend yourself by any means neccessarry. Including lethal force. If you did NOT commit a crime and you feel you LIFE is in danger you act as you feel neccessarry. Would be one hell of a court case though

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the advise, guys.

Sometimes I get depressed when I am reminded that we live in a police state. I know there are good cops out there. It is the bad cops that I worry about. Sometimes it seems as if they are just gangsters.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
response
1. Hit with baton
2. Tased
3. Beaten
4. Shot
5. Arrested
most likely a combination of the above is what would happen to anyone stupid enough to pull a stunt like that.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UnaChispa

I was also thinking about unharmful ways to stop or incapacitate the resistance or their weapons in a harmless ways without violence.

Here's what i thought of...
SOMETHING STICKY - Gum up the weapons and protective gear they have, and use to harm you. What could work? Syurp? Glues? Something that would get on the gasmasks' face mask and block vision.
What about something SLIPPERY? Some thing that works against the type of soles they have on combat boots.
How about BAGS OF PAINT to mark the officials who are seen being violent, like ones who throw flashbangs at injured war vets.

Also, i wonder if masked provocoters will be causing more damages to small businesses? Protesters should apprehend any one who is vandalising small business and reveal their identities before the cops have a chance.

Anyway, threre must be endless non violent ways to protest. Lets be imagantive.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You will get yourself shot!

In louisiana... If law enforcement has their mace taken by a subject... The officer THEN has the right to use full deadly force for the reason that the subject can then subdue and take hold of the officers fire arm and use it to kill and/or harm the officer and the innocent. Deadly force is acceptable here.

This was taught to us via the Police Academy (Louisiana, Calcasuie Parish - 1998)

Please do not try anything like this. You can be shot... and with the short attention spans and tempers of most the population today... I'm sure someone will end up dead if they try this. Leave cops alone. The one thing they are afraid of more than anything... even though they will never say or act it... Lawsuits. There are more laws to protect the guilty in this country than there are to protect law enforcement. No matter how people look at LEOs, they still have that one weakness.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As long as you were clear in your statement that you had no idea it was a police officer then it is the officers fault for not identifying him/herself first.

Give 'em a squirt from me eh?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhennIf law enforcement has their mace taken by a subject...

I think the OP meant they each had their own pepperspray. Quickdraw revenge.

Yeah, trying to swipe the police issue mace from a cop would be stoopid.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
wow, you just gave me a great idea for a participatory element at our burning man camp next year!
mace an officer! people can volunteer to be an officer and so on. fun times.

i personally wouldn't try that in real life scenario. one thing i've learned over the years after working closely with police officers is you just don't win a fight you pick with cops. they win every time. (for the most part)

but, if you DO how ever decide to do it, can you buy a small pen video camera and put it in a front pocket while you do it? it would make for interesting documentation.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
if you tried it in the uk, i'm sure you'd live to tell the tale (though you'd spend the nite in a cell).
in america i'd be suprised if you didnt get shot.
it might be non-lethal but its still a weapon, so i wouldn't recomend pointing it at someone with a gun.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Originally posted by theRhennIf law enforcement has their mace taken by a subject...

I think the OP meant they each had their own pepperspray. Quickdraw revenge.

Yeah, trying to swipe the police issue mace from a cop would be stoopid.

lol yes it would.

But the point is, if you "subdue" an officer with mace, wether it be his or your own, he is still perfectly in his right to take you out with his trusty revolver.

join