It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I see what I think I saw? VA sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Ok, First off I am not a big UFO person. I believe there are UFOs but have never gotten really big into looking for them, or watching hours of videos and getting real excited about them. Until I see one up close and personal, and actually see an alien type being face to face I will always be a little skeptical.

So…Last night around 7:30pm EST (Virginia), I was outside with my husband down in our field holding a flash light for him while he fixed a broken water pipe. We live away from the city so it’s pretty dark out at that time. I was just standing there looking up at the stars and just taking it in since I am not usually outside at night to enjoy it. I was looking out towards the west maybe a little north west and I was watching about 5 airplanes (obvious airplanes) move across the horizon left to right and a couple right to left. Very far away and high up but you could still see their blinky lights, I am sure they were commercial flights.

Right in the middle of all those planes, about what seemed to be the same distance away (miles); I saw a single white light, like a star but slightly bigger and brighter moving very slowly and steady in an UP direction. There was a power line above and in front of me that I was using as a point of reference to see that the light was in fact moving and that my eyes were not just playing tricks on me. The light was moving drastically slower than the planes with NO blinky plane type lights.

I pointed it out to my husband; he got up and watched it for a while too. We both had never noticed something like that before. It just kept going up and up and up, like watching a rocket going up at a distance. We were in a hurry to get the water line fixed so we kind of directed our attention away from it for a bit. I looked back up several times and could find it, it was still going up and up, the last time I looked before we went inside, I could no longer see it. I could still find some planes but not that light.

If I could guess at where about it might have been seen straight up I would say West Virginia or maybe the Appalachian mountains just before WVa. Now I am not saying it was a UFO, but it certainly stood out for me and made me really take notice. Just wanted to share the experience, it has really got me thinking.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It was a weather ballon caught up in the refracting light from a pocket of hot air.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilowl53
I saw a single white light, like a star but slightly bigger and brighter moving very slowly and steady in an UP direction. It just kept going up and up and up...

Satellite.
Since it was bright, you could identify it at heavens-above.com.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
could it maybe just have been a plane taking off directly away from you that just appeared to move straight up? i'm not sure how high in the sky you saw it go, but that would be my guess.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

You may have seen the ISS , It was visible in your area around that time

Thu Nov 03/07:04 PM
spaceflight1.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
You may have seen the ISS , It was visible in your area around that time

Agreed.
While you were doing that, I checked heavens-above, and the ISS went over Virginia at 7:08pm on the night of the 3rd.
And as the OP says, it started off in the north west horizon.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks for finding that website, I didn't even think about it being a satillite. Awesome! I am glad I saw it then, still very cool.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I saw a UFO near that area as well, this is where I grew up.

Outside of Roanoke, VA to the east I saw an orb that made some rather hard to accomplish maneuvers, if you could say that even.

I don't usually talk about it on here though, you can guess why. What you have seen may very well have been the ISS though.
edit on 4-11-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

OP, how long were you able to look at the object? I saw ISS go across the sky once. It crossed the sky in about 20 seconds.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkererJim

I watched it for a good 20 minutes, and it did not arch like it was orbiting, it went stright up, never getting any closer or farther away from me.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I live in WVa, saw what you saw also. When it leveled out there were aircraft warning lights.
Originally came from the East (where I live) turned SSW and started its' climb. (the angle made it appear to head for the moon.) It came on a return approach and went into an incredible dive and pulled out, headed for some clouds and then I lost sight of it around 8PM.

Same object was to my N-NE Wednesday night just making turns, and came by tonight (Fri) on a low-level straight fly-by, accelerated and was gone pretty quick. The bright light it gives off disrupts your vision with the naked eye, but through the binoculars it looked like a B-2. The aircraft was definitely triangular and flat, but every maneuver it made was from an earth-bound aircraft.

BTW all three nights were either at 730 or 800. It was fun to watch for sure, like a personal air show.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
It was a weather ballon caught up in the refracting light from a pocket of hot air.

I haven't seen a weather balloon in ages...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Yahm16

I had the same thought, although I never saw it change direction and it's been too overcast here to go back out and look for it again. I am sure it wasn't a UFO but it did stand out in the sky as something I had never seen before.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Ok, First off I am not a big UFO person. I believe there are UFOs but have never gotten really big into looking for them, or watching hours of videos and getting real excited about them. Until I see one up close and personal, and actually see an alien type being face to face I will always be a little skeptical.

Where in Virginia, because I live in South Hampton Roads.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Okay. OP has seen something that he/she can't identify. That certainly can be chalked up as an Unidentified Flying Object. But, you guys have to remember that a UFO does not equal aliens. Ok?

Edit to add: don't get carried away. I for one believe (and know) that we aren't alone out here. But not every flying thing that you can't identify on the spot are not alien of origin.
edit on 6-11-2011 by Lithops because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSmartGuy

Where in Virginia, because I live in South Hampton Roads.

Amherst County

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lithops
Okay. OP has seen something that he/she can't identify. That certainly can be chalked up as an Unidentified Flying Object. But, you guys have to remember that a UFO does not equal aliens. Ok?

Edit to add: don't get carried away. I for one believe (and know) that we aren't alone out here. But not every flying thing that you can't identify on the spot are not alien of origin.

Agreed Lithops! It was unidentified to me! I like to think it was a UFO with Aliens aboard, but who knows. I cannot wait till the day we do, I hope I am still here to see it.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lithops

Have I missed something subliminal in the other posts , from what I can see YOU are the only poster to mention Aliens .

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Going from Amherst Co. to Upshur (WV) puts it over your Back Creek Mtn. or if in WV, either the Yew,
Gauley, or Cheat Mountains.

Unless anyone else saw it. To help put a more exact location.

I'd guess these mountain ranges most likely, because they're the only ones we could both see over for anything
with altitude.

new topics

top topics

join