It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Poor Spellers Stupid?? This Is Your Answer !!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

There are 3 "tu's" in the english language!

Can any of the grammar nazi's can write the above sentence IN PROPER ENGLISH [because 'tu' is not correct!
] and make 100% sense ???

Personal Disclosure: Sometimes slang is all one has to communicate!

I have heard of multimillion $ deals being done in pidgin english!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Bad speller means bad at math?
I can't spell my way out of a paper bag but I'm great at math. Math rewards intelligence, spelling rewards memorization. Our language in no way sounds the way it is spelled. It's all memorization.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by nineix
Where have all the real Renaissance 'men', gone?

Where have all the correct punctuators gone ?!

Smarmily trying to gain psychological ascendancy over others, on an internet forum, is a pretty sad and pathetic thing to do. Have a word with yourself.

''Where have all the real Renaissance 'men' gone?'', is the correct way to phrase that sentence.

There's absolutely no need for that comma between ''men'' and ''gone'', and, in fact, it makes your comment look grammatically third-grade.

Behave yourself.

edit on 4-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

You're hilarious.
Thanks for pointing out that I had a little finger twitch.
Such error, however, does not invalidate the question.
I never made any claims for likening myself to any such personalities. I even went so far in pointing to one of the inadequacies of the current IQ model. Never did I say or indicate use of poor grammar and spelling is a sign of lesser intelligence in agreement, or disagreement with the OP article link.

The spelling and intelligence question brings up the nature of intelligence itself. Where are the Renaissance 'men'? What happened to those men and women? Were they the products of their period's education system, genetic inheritance, or perhaps something environmental?

I'm asking questions, so, please, behave yourself, yourself, as well as having a word or two with yourself about yourself regarding any predilections and penchants for trolling you may have.

edit on 4-11-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

There's alot of reasons people can have trouble spelling and never the result of being stupid.

Education system could have let a person down.

Depression and other mental health conditions can turn a good speller into a person who has trouble remembering how to spell even basic words.

Even day to day stress can do it.

I think spellcheck is playing a part as well.

There's alot of reasons.

edit on 4-11-2011 by steveknows because: Add

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
What I find remarkably funny, is that through all the posts and replies to this article, most everyone's been on their 'best' behavior.

Absent, are the teeth-pulling slews of illiterate garbage that seems to pop up with every other topic.
It's quite refreshing, really.

I personally think it'd be nice were there an auto-warning before posting; something like, "Are you really sure you want to post this? Others will likely make fun of you, and any statement you're making loses credibility the more it's obvious you don't 'care' about those things you should have learned in grammar school as a child."

As far as intelligence goes, it's also hilarious how many people actually think and believe they're above average, or even smarter.
Sure, there's different types of intelligence and even different types of genius the current IQ model doesn't account for. Someone with artistic genius, for instance may be quite clever with paint, ink, music of other artistic pursuits yet, a total idiot when it comes to reason, logic, tying their shoes.
The same goes for the more conventional accepted ideals for 'smart', where puzzle solving ability, ranks high, yet intuitive and artistic concerns aren't factored into the data set. Someone may very well be an 'Einstein', but, like Einstein, have genuine trouble with spelling and/or other social skills, tying shoes, etc.

Where have all the real Renaissance 'men', gone? Thomas Jefferson was ambidextrous, spoke several languages, knew his philosophy, principals and mechanics of reason, could compose and play music on instruments, capable in the maths, and many other things.
Where have people like this man gone, these Renaissance men?
Examples such as he weren't all too rare with their contemporaries either. Now days, however, we're left with world leader and government politician choices like Herman Cain, George Bush, and on down the line of the fools galleries of names who are complete utter and total idiots. How did these people survive into adolescence? Much more; why are they our world leaders in business and politics now?

Sad, just sad.

Edit - expanded on some ideas.

edit on 4-11-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

But most people on ats appear to not read through a post before responding. It seems they just read the heading so I doubt a warning notice would be seen

Anyway on another note. Thomas Jefferson was part of the renaissance? You say what now?

I'll assume you're refering to the European renaissance . The renaissance started in 1350 and finished in 1550. Thomas Jefferson played no part. In Fact the U.S played no part. And no Henry Ford did not invent the car and the U.S did not give the world democracy if that's what you're thinking.

edit on 4-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

The words two, too, and to are all homonyms. These three words sound the same but are spelled differently. Thank you for your time.

Grammar Nazi MistyDawn...

ETA: I apologize for not clarifying to those of the general ats public, that the correct term for these three words are homophones, because i just know someone is going to say something about how they aren't homonyms. Though i would like to point out in technicality that homophones are indeed homonyms. All homophones are homonyms, all homonyms are not homophones. Thank you for sitting in to my lecture, homework is chapters 1-8; found in your text entitled We Really Do Not Care.
edit on 4-11-2011 by M157yD4wn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Obviously none of you morons read the article. It most definitely says that poor spelling indicates stupidity. Almost every post on here has spelling errors, as you all announce that you don't care how stupid it makes you seem. Laughable at best, actually pathetic. Spelling is a grade school level skill, so if you want to appear as if you have merely a third grade education, then have fun.

When you have automatic spellcheck like every post on here does, there is NO EXCUSE for bad spelling. It would seem to indicate you have no idea what those wavy red lines mean. In my book that would be called idiotic.

Further imbecility is displayed by grammatical errors, and the typical mixup of your, you're and they're, their, there. These won't be caught by spellcheck, so you look even more stupid.

Sorry, morons. Try reading the article. Then, good luck in life. Read the post by the only person who apparently read the article.

Actually I'd argue that spellcheck is one of the reasons for bad spelling. Perhpas not while on the pc but I think it's made people lazy when it comes to spelling.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by M157yD4wn

Explanation: You explained the problem perfectly but didn't attempt the challenge I posed!

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Spelling doesn't matter to me at all, English is not my first language so I get somethings wrong or whatever. It's when a person murders an entire paragraph worth of words that gets me worried. Here is a example straight off my hill billy knowing facebook page:

"Welp had a good day wit mi sisters mi mama &mi babies man ima miss them soooo much...well i tol sum of yall i wud jus put the addrrs to write me on mi fb cuz its easier than sendin it to yall 1by 1 soo for they next 7months if yall wna talk to me yall hav to writ me"

I feel I need to point out that this woman is going to jail for leaving her two kids at home alone, while she walked up the street to stab a guy who said she was a hoe.... Yea... She's a genius.

I am not friends with this woman, but since she doesn't know about privacy settings, my friends and I get a laugh out of her status updates. I know it's mean, but you'd have to be here to understand.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilowl53
Spelling doesn't matter to me at all, English is not my first language so I get somethings wrong or whatever. It's when a person murders an entire paragraph worth of words that gets me worried. Here is a example straight off my hill billy knowing facebook page:

"Welp had a good day wit mi sisters mi mama &mi babies man ima miss them soooo much...well i tol sum of yall i wud jus put the addrrs to write me on mi fb cuz its easier than sendin it to yall 1by 1 soo for they next 7months if yall wna talk to me yall hav to writ me"

I feel I need to point out that this woman is going to jail for leaving her two kids at home alone, while she walked up the street to stab a guy who said she was a hoe.... Yea... She's a genius.

I am not friends with this woman, but since she doesn't know about privacy settings, my friends and I get a laugh out of her status updates. I know it's mean, but you'd have to be here to understand.

Is dat you fiddy cent wurt?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by M157yD4wn

The words two, too, and to are all homonyms. These three words sound the same but are spelled differently. Thank you for your time.

Grammar Nazi MistyDawn...

ETA: I apologize for not clarifying to those of the general ats public, that the correct term for these three words are homophones, because i just know someone is going to say something about how they aren't homonyms. Though i would like to point out in technicality that homophones are indeed homonyms. All homophones are homonyms, all homonyms are not homophones. Thank you for sitting in to my lecture, homework is chapters 1-8; found in your text entitled We Really Do Not Care.
edit on 4-11-2011 by M157yD4wn because: (no reason given)

And that's why people who don't speak English as a first language get confused. Such as with the words there, their and they're, plane and plain, weight and wait, waist and waste.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

oooooooh... i see what you did there. clever

There are three 'tus' in the English language.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The original OP's link was keyboard generated in a statement box, and the text is rigidly defined horizontally as opposed to the written word. I see that as different from how I would write, and often I would check my spelling en route when typing simply because it does not look right on a statement box, even though it is. I never do that when writing, just proof read when I am finished. Einstein was a bad speller in what he wrote

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I started the thread for a positive purpose and to mix in some statistics !! I am a typo king and spell not too good. I hope we all see our good points through the not so goood points etc and have fun in knowing we are all just human, regardless how we spleelle

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
bas spellings in letters, in C.V.'s, in any paper work in general for work or applications, birthday cards and love messages and any other form of important occasions or situations fair enough, complain about the bad spelling.

but writing a message on a forum is not exactly considered important enough to warrent spending time ensuring it is to perfection, people will not get marks for it and only wish to say what is on their mind. surely as long as what they have to say is understood with or without the bad spelling that is all that matters.

many times i have typed out a message and scanned over it, then posted it, once posted i notice a few typo's and edit and correct it and repost, only to then notice i have missed a 's' off a word or spelled something wrong, this can go one sometimes to the point that if i edited and corrected the post to perfection there would be 5 or 6 edits, so i just leave it most of the time as long as it is understandable.

my point is just because somebody makes errors it does not mean they are not aware of them, therefore how can it reveal stupid people from spelling errors as oppose to people who either don't care, are lazy, or have little time?

yes i am aware i have spelled bad as bas due to the 's' key being next to the 'd' key and am aware i have used no caps. i will proberbly notice more once i have pressed post.

edit on 4-11-2011 by lifeform11 because: lol see i still had to edit to correct something

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I haven't read the article yet, but I consider myself a poor speller, I'm not all that great grammatically period. I just kind of wing it and hope I get it right cause I don't remember anything from school, but I consider myself a very good speaker.

The point i'm getting at is, how you say things aren't really important, as long as what is being said is understood. If it's not understood no one is in any place to judge your intelligence(Unless its just blatantly impossible to understand due to a lack of trying) someone can write a huge run on sentence, not a problem for me. I won't think any less of your opinion because you didn't use periods or commas. I'll base my opinion on what you say, as everyone should.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have never been a good speller. I always believed that it was because I was more interested in ideas. I work at a job where I have to get the concepts contained in the message and translate it to a new language. When I read, I don't notice the letters, I see the word and think the meaning. I don't notice my own spelling errors and usually don't notice's errors unless they are copious or funny.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's odd that this came up. I was just talking about this with a friend. I have a BA in literature and am working towards a Masters so I'm overly sensitive to spelling and grammar mistakes. I can say however, that the majority of mistakes we see here on ATS come from not proofreading, not a lack of ability. Misspelling uncommon words doesn't make you stupid, but posting a poorly structured response that is supposed to support your highly considered viewpoint does make you seem a bit on the ignorant side, unless of course English isn't your first language, in which case thank you for adding your opinions to the best of your ability.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MCJustJ

not sure if you are replying to me.

what i meant by as long as it can be understood is if the errors make it unreadable or confuse what the sentance means, then edits are really needed.

i notice i have typed one where it should read on in my post above yours, if i had spent more time before posting i would of seen it, i could edit it but do not see the point as it is obvious what i meant to put. but somebody out there is judging how smart people are based on this stuff. they assume people are not aware of their own errors.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Content is far more respectable than spelling. The grammar queens need to relax. However, there are those that have both bad spelling and poor communication skills. I'm thinking overflow from GLP? Anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join