It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Poor Spellers Stupid?? This Is Your Answer !!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

The word overseer is a word. I checked by looking it up in two dictionaries and a thesaurus.
All I did was change the tense by adding ed.

Please teach me about the rule that dictates I cannot change the tense of the word overseer into overseered.
I love learning it is the one function that is continued all the way up to our last breath and then we enter a new paradigm of learning.

Thank you for stimulating my intellect.

Much Peace..

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Manager is a similar word. Were you managered? No, you were managed. Don't be a dolt. You know perfectly well you fumbled.

I know an Aussie who actually thought the word for drawers was "draws". Draws?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I need to see the rule applied to the word overseer.
I am adding ed to a proper word to turn it into a past tense.

You have used an example that does not negate the word overseer.

Big - Bigger - Biggest
Sunny - Sunnier - Sunniest
Good - Better - Best

The first two are examples of a rule and the third is an exception.
Please show all your rationale. Don't just pull one unrelated example out of thin air.
Apply your thinking to show me the linguistic/grammatic rule application.
Have another go - you are doing good! You are almost there.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

You aren't using English Teacher-language here. It's not a "proper word", it is what is known as a "noun". You are trying to make that noun into a past tense noun? Is English your first language? I gave you the perfectly accurate "manager" as an example.

I fear for your students if you really are a teacher of any description.

Here we go, teacher:

oversee - overseeing, overseen, oversaw, overseer, overseership...no overseering.

Check me if I'm wrong. And I'd love to see the rule giving permission to make a noun past tense. I'm interested in that one.

You shouldn't even have to ask about this if you know English grammar. It's basic. No complexities here.

And for the love of God, it's "you're doing so *well*", not "good". Your grammar skills are pathetic. You have no right to be condescending, my dear. You should read more though.
edit on 6/11/2011 by CosmicEgg because: further grammar lessons

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

In my first post I chose the word overseer - it is a word with British origins.
I speak, read and write with British English.

I notice you chose the word manager as an example.
Look up the meaning of the word manager as opposed to overseer and you will see they are a little different to one another, a nuance but a difference nonetheless.

Also notice that I did not get aggressive. I merely responded. That is what a Teacher does. Teachers do not attack a student, they encourage, nurture and respect. They also respond and encourage exploration so as to never ever stop learning.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

The word overseer is a word. I checked by looking it up in two dictionaries and a thesaurus.
All I did was change the tense by adding ed.

Please teach me about the rule that dictates I cannot change the tense of the word overseer into overseered.
I love learning it is the one function that is continued all the way up to our last breath and then we enter a new paradigm of learning.

Thank you for stimulating my intellect.

Much Peace..

Let me point out your mistakes one by one here. Overseer is indeed a word. But someone who has studied linguistics would know that it is specifically a noun, dear. You see? Word vs noun. You cannot change the tense of a noun. You can not tabled a table. You cannot lamped a lamp. You cannot overseer an overseer. You cannot managered a manager. Nouns do not have tense. That would be verbs, dear. Verbs. Hence, "oversee", "overseeing", "overseen", "oversaw". Tense. Overseer and overseership are not verbs. They are nouns.

Also, please stop with the capitalization of nouns in your sentences. Teacher, students, and the like are not capitalized as they are not proper nouns.

Is your intellect sufficiently stimulated to being studying linguistics? Learn the very most basic parts of speech first, then move to more complicated things like punctuation. We're all here for you!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What goes through a linguists/grammar person's mind when they see the new spellings of old words that are used in advertising? For example: "lite", "nite" and on and on ad infinitum. Does anyone write to the offending companies and inform them of their mistakes?

Misspelling words horribly is one way to get around spiders on the web.
I know some of you do not believe in the CIA or spiders.
Just take another blue pill and ignore this post if that's the case.

Metalanguage
edit on 8/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I see more and more frequently that people use payed instead of paid, an apostrophe to make a word plural, and butcher gerands.

People also use apostrophes to make pronouns possessive. That is totally wrong.

Since most everyone considers me to be incredibly stupid, it makes me feel very insecure to be around so many people who are even dumber than I. I have been told that I was stupid since I was a small child, so I have pretty much accepted that not everyone could be wrong about that.

I am stupid and have written better than many of my teachers since the time I was in middle school.

I was considered to be so stupid in grade school that teachers felt it pointless to even try to teach me. I mostly took my books and learned on my own.

I was treated like a little criminal and told I was a "troublemaker" by most adults around me from the time I was around two or three years old.

I often misspell the word 'rhythm' and not sure I spelled it right this time. I have misspelled it since early childhood, so I have given it up as a lost cause.

While people who misspell around me really annoy me at times, I do try to ignore it. I have accepted that my annoyance comes more from my insecurity than their errors.

I am concerned for my daughter though who wants to be a writer. She has no initiative to learn basic grammar. She thinks it is her editor's job to fix it. Hopefully, she'll end up with a teacher one day who inspires her in that direction.

Many who misspell are not stupid. They are merely either lazy or rushed for time.

I am currently a thesis away from finishing my master's degree. I chose one of my readers because she caught a grammar error on a paper I turned in couple years ago. I tested at 99% on a grammar test and needed someone to catch that other 1%. No other instructor had caught a grammar error in my papers since elementary school.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RainbeauBleu
What goes through a linguists/grammar person's mind when they see the new spellings of old words that are used in advertising? For example: "lite", "nite" and on and on ad infinitum. Does anyone write to the offending companies and inform them of their mistakes?

Misspelling words horribly is one way to get around spiders on the web.
I know some of you do not believe in the CIA or spiders.
Just take another blue pill and ignore this post if that's the case.

Metalanguage
edit on 8/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

I am so bored of these self-congratulatory memes 'Keep drinking the kool-aid', 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain', 'red pill, blue pill' etc. Why can't you just express your views without deriding those who might disagree? And don't you think the CIA software has good enough heuristics to detect even poorly-spelled words?
edit on 13-11-2011 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: grammar!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I am so bored of these self-congratulatory memes 'Keep drinking the kool-aid', 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain', 'red pill, blue pill' etc.
reply to post by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

It's only a cliche' and humorously stated for those who don't worry about any of that stuff. Sorry if my lingo pushes your buttons. You don't like misspelled words nor 'self-congratulatory memes'/cliche's or humor, it seems. I'm not sure what you are wanting from me.....an apology for boring you? Why do I feel like I'm being nitpicked?
edit on 13/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

How many people on ATS don't believe in the CIA or spiders? Seriously. Even my 94 year old grandmother believes in and knows about both the CIA and web spiders. It's obviously a joke.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I just commented on another thread about technology how it is making us stupid. NOT all poor spellers are stupid but the majority of them are. One thing I find annoying is the fact that people typing in threads like this, FB, MSN, etc., shortening every single word there is in any language.

One will never learn the correct spelling on anything we type if we do not properly spell things out to begin with. I for instance try to spell out every word even when texting but of course occasionally one or two words make it in the acronym pile.

My girlfriend kills me when texting, I have opted not to reply to her text messages when she is purposely doing so (she hates that)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There are spelling mistakes, then there is "for all intensive purposes". That second one is related to intelligence.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

I mis-spell the same stupid words over and over too. It;s normal to do so. Some words that are mis-spelled like this over and over are due to rules of spelling that are easy to over look

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join