It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Poor Spellers Stupid?? This Is Your Answer !!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Was getting ready to post this myself.

I just hate to see people go off on those who don't spell everything perfect..Good grief If you know what they are saying, don't mouth off insults because I am sure even those who are good in spelling won't always win a spelling bee...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Stop making excuses for your inadequate spelling skills. Spend a little more time and make yourself look intelligent instead of a victim of a faulty keyboard. Otherwise you're just covering up your shortcomings with lame excuses.
It's disturbing and pathetic how many professional articles I read with improper punctuation,bad grammar or words misspelled.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidCrystalz
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Was getting ready to post this myself.

I just hate to see people go off on those who don't spell everything perfect..Good grief If you know what they are saying, don't mouth off insults because I am sure even those who are good in spelling won't always win a spelling bee...

This is a typical statement from an underachiever who thinks mediocrity is acceptable.
You want everyone else to be as lazy and incompetent as you. It makes you feel it's fine to write/type like an ape with a pencil tied to his genitals, that way when some one calls you on it you can blame others for being too particular and critical. Am I wrong?
Who taught you that, the failure they call the public school system? Your parents?
Television?

edit on 5-11-2011 by Godofgamblers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
What I do not get is that there are a few words I have misspelled my entire life and like a buffoon, I keep on doing it!
It blows my mind however the amount of High School graduates I personally know that cannot spell to save their life.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have a friend who got his degree in Microbiology, first in his hish shool class of 500, top of his college.....but he misspells words all the time

but I am positive you he can outperform all of us in math, chemistry, and physics......

but he is a super nerd though who has never had a girlfriend or been laid.....so spelling has nothing to do with intelligence.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Whether they are or not, and who is going to actually know, the fact is if you type like a moron and spell like a moron and compose sentences like a moron, the general impression you will give off, is that you are a moron.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

I should also say I have another friend who is about as dumb as a box of rocks.....he cant spell at all.....

In fact I told him to stop texting me so I wouldn't make so much fun of him anymore....

He graduated highschool and actually though doing was spelled doin.....

He would also type things like "those dam people" I would be like "human beavers?" and he wouldn't get it....he was so dumb he thought I was talking about a girls vagina he didn't even get the joke

EDIT***** As i was typing this he sent me a text about pot saying " I got one more to get ride of"..... lol.....idiot.
edit on 5-11-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Many of those who are not great with spelling (like me) tend to be mechanistic thinkers. I can literally build anything from the ground up if Im given the supplies, I can even make some of the supplies! I completely rebuilt and restored a motorcycle when I was 13. It seems to me that there are two types of thinkers, Mechanistic thinkers, and scientific thinkers. Scientific thinkers are better with math and spelling. Mechanistic thinkers are better at design, theory, and can typically grasp complicated concepts. I know my IQ is VERY close to genius.. My spelling does not reflect it.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
But??

We all know people who spell like a retard on purpose. Was this not an issue?

I also dislike people who bang on about typos, or an occasional grammar fub.

wot abt ppl wot lyk 2 tlk lyk idits ?

No time for them, none at all..

sherlock, do you disagree?
??

Yeah, it's irritating when people spell ''like'' as ''lyk'', or ''love'' as ''luv'', or any number of other affected misspellings.

But, I would say that it's more of a fad.

If people wrote out their CVs with this kind of spelling, then they're not exactly going to land themselves a plum job.

As someone who reviews resumes for applicants at my job, I will heavily weigh it against them if I come across a spelling or grammar mistake in a submitted resume. I keep thinking to myself, "how do they not have five different people combing over all of the details?"

And this "txt" writing drives me a crazy. There's a time and place for it, but it's not for a work environment. I have a coworker that uses this type of spelling in his e-mails, IM conversations, and even documents I've had him write up. "U should c these records" or "check to c if the data is ryt". It drives me nuts when he does that, because it takes me longer to read what he wrote. I have to decipher his writing and the whole "reading flow" is ruined when I come across those words. And besides, it just looks very unprofessional when you're 30 years old and writing e-mails that way to your coworkers.

I'm always reminded of a joke, well a parable, about grammar that I read somewhere. There was a man that was being kept as a prisoner. The people guarding him wanted to know if they should let him go or release him. They sent one of their messengers to go to the king to get his verdict. Now, the messenger wasn't smart and was just able to write. He went to the king to hear the king's ruling. The king said, "release him, not kill him." The messenger wrote down what the king had said word for word and rode back to the guards. He handed the paper over and the guards proceeded to execute him. The messenger had mistakingly wrote, "release him not, kill him."

And of course, there's the story about how a "typo" caused Mariner 1 to crash:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
speaking of spelling mistakes...have you seen the errors on cakse made by professional bakers and sold to the public...
go to
www.cakewrecks.com you will be astonished at the errors...not just spelling.... some customers fill out a form and the store ices the actual instruction onto the cake????

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette
Whether they are or not, and who is going to actually know, the fact is if you type like a moron and spell like a moron and compose sentences like a moron, the general impression you will give off, is that you are a moron.

I wouldn't judge you by that sentence structure. It's laughable.

I think you were making a joke, but it's unclear.
Is it a joke?
edit on 5/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamer01

Unfortunately I see your frustration but I believe what you are seeing is a result of technology. As a Teacher I encourage Students to get up out of their chair- go to the bookshelf - get a dictionary - sit down and leaf through - find the word you are looking up ...this is not nearly as much fun or as quick as pressing a button.

What has happened is less cognitive functioning because there is less cognitive engagement. Technology has some benefits but in an English classroom unless I turn words into a game - the Students see it all as toooooo hard. I feel for the Students especially those who struggle. We have given them a world of technology and it has actually helped us all to devolve a little.

I wish I could change the education system. I make my observations and I do what I can - when an opportunity for change presents itself - I will be ready willing and able.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
I am an English Teacher in Australia and the first thing I do is encourage Students to use a dictionary.

Pressing the button for spellchecker means you are not using your cognitive skills. Also something to ponder in Australia we use British English and our spelling and grammar differ from the English used by Americans. The Aussie English listed in the language choices in spellchecker is actually the American version. I imagine the person who wrote the programme didn't realise what they were doing or the person who overseered the process did not realise.

The first thing I explain to Students is that by getting a good grasp of your own British English means you can then discern whether a publication is American or Australian. I like to adhere to the first lesson I learned when I studied Linguistics - every language is unique. No one language is better than any other they are all individual.

So when I am marking creative writing I can give loads of marks to a Student who really gets in and creates, even when they struggle with the technical side of their writing. I actually do not like correcting every single spelling mistake and grammatical imperfection. This is why on Above Top Secret I never comment on spelling or grammar just the thoughts and opinions because they are what count!

Much Peace...

There is actually a couple of words we spell different to the Brits.

Jail. British

Gaol. Australian.

And though the British" programme" is still in common use in Australia it was to my understanding that "program" was the Australian way of spelling the word.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Godofgamblers

IIRC, it was 100's of years before English even

HAD a dictionary.

Spelling was much more idiosyncratic. And that was with the best writers in the realm.

I find less excuse for prissy haughtiness about such things than I do for spelling errors.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I wish I could change the education system.

Welllllllll,

I wouldn't expect it to do anything but get horribly WORSE until after the literal Armageddon.

Perhaps researching Anthony Sutton as well as watching the youtube series by

Charlotte Iserbyt re Skull & Bones and her series on Education:

Skull & Bones & the Order at Yale:

www.youtube.com...

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America 1/7:

www.youtube.com...

The Secret History of Western Education: The Scientific Destruction of Minds:

www.youtube.com...

May be similar to her Miseducation of America:

www.youtube.com...

will document for you sufficient shredding of the "education" system in behalf of training the slave/serf animals instead . . . the spelling has been a somewhat deliberate casualty of that mess.

As I understand it, there are even pilot programs to do away with year levels K-12. Blooming idiots!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
vhat the muck yoo takin bout

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

You assume much about me my fellow Above Top Secret poster - I am already in possession of Charlotte Iserbyte and understand why and how the current education system is structured.

Thank you for the information. Your assumption is a product of the education system - tell the answer - don't explore first - keep the Teacher happy - get the tick next to the answer in the exam and you will not fail and be a societal reject. You may not even be aware you are doing it. Sooooo many people in society are programmed to answer questions without first asking some of their own questions.

I love it when the Students ask me questions...love love love it!

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

There is actually a couple of words we spell different to Brits.

Please don't be offended but your sentence should read.

There are a couple of words we spell differently to Brits.

You are referring to more than one word so automatically the tense must reflect multiple subjects in your sentence.

Gaol or jail - I attended a Government school and both versions were accepted by my Teachers. English has long been regarded as the most difficult language to master and I can see why. I have a colleague who sums up why the English language can be so difficult - even for those who have a high degree of skill ; it contains words with various origins, compiled from different countries with sets of rules that have exceptions.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

reply to post by steveknows

There is actually a couple of words we spell different to Brits.

Please don't be offended but your sentence should read.

There are a couple of words we spell differently to Brits.

You are referring to more than one word so automatically the tense must reflect multiple subjects in your sentence.

Gaol or jail - I attended a Government school and both versions were accepted by my Teachers. English has long been regarded as the most difficult language to master and I can see why. I have a colleague who sums up why the English language can be so difficult - even for those who have a high degree of skill ; it contains words with various origins, compiled from different countries with sets of rules that have exceptions.

Much Peace...

God give me a break. Hands up those who want their school work marked

And yes we all know how hard it is for people not born into it to grasp it as I've stated in an earlier post.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Certainly, without a lot of detailed info . . . and sometimes even with,

we must assume many things.

None of us have exhaustively complete knowledge about even ourselves.

In terms of questions, I agree.

I require my students to ask questions. Of course, the shy ones must be trained, shaped toward candid, honest, personally significant questions related to psychology. Thankfully, that's quite doable.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join