It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Poor Spellers Stupid?? This Is Your Answer !!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I have always made a simple mistakes when it comes to spelling. I don't know why but I do. I found this story very interesting and informative because it goes a few steps further than I had expected and I am sure you will find it interesting and an answer to any questions you may have had or have now. Below in the link to the full story.

www.straightdope.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Hi Cherub,

I don't have to read that thread to say, no, poor spellers are not stupid.

No way - they are probably creative in other directions.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So, after reading, possibly yes then!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

They aren't necessarily stupid...they may not be able to work the spell checker on their computer

I find people who cannot spell are generally as not well versed in math either....so they are far from genius and a stones throw away from stupid

Anyone above the age of 21 should have a fairly good grasp of their native language...this includes in written form.

Now we have terms for lacking ability in these skills....Dyslexia, and Dyscalculia.
edit on 4-11-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

My oldest sister struggles with her spelling - oh the fun we have had at her expense over the years!

On the other hand, she is frankly a 'Rainman' at other things, so it all equals out i guess......

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I make more dysphonetic errors than phonetic.So Im not stupid,its just a hiccup in my lexical processing.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Something I thought about is that in this article, she refers to a study done in 1983.
In 1983, I was not online. I never even touched a keyboard, in fact. I wrote with a pen or pencil.
Even with school, I didn't write half as much as I do now, either!

I have always been rather good in english- it was my strongest subject in school, and took the least effort.
But I have noticed, the last few years, that my writing has degraded.

I often switch the "n" and the "g" in words (sing becomes sign), "to" becomes "ot", "of becomes "fo".
These seem to be due to how fast I am typing! Then sometimes, if I am passionate about what I am trying to get out, I push a post button before taking the time to read it and edit.

I used to go back and edit whenever I can, but lately I am doing it less. Because I feel I haven't as much time to spend- I have a busy life and my computer breaks are limited.
Added to that, the amount of opinion or view I have has grown measurably through the years and with access to so much information.... I have more to say.
If it was a matter of writing down one or two lines and correcting them, that wouldn't take much time, but when it is four paragraphs? That's a different matter.

Thirdly, I have gotten used to reading others typos too, and learned that my mind adjusts fine to them. I read what they meant to say rather effortlessly, and it doesn't disturb my comprehension in most cases (unless they are extreme, of course, with every word mispelled and grammar that cannot be sorted out).
So I end up feeling like the important thing is that what I have to say is heard, not whether I mixed up a couple of letters here and there.
I've gotten less careful.

But I still take care when writing important letters, and do them correctly. But with the internet, writing joined into the catagory of "casual exchange", which was mpstly spoken before. When we speak we do not use formal and perfect language either- that just seems anal ! Casual written exchange has taken a bit of the same.

It doesn't have a lot to do with intelligence, IMO, except if you consider that the intelligent person may see it is not in their favor to give the impression of trying to sound superior- in the long run, it is more beneficial to blend in.
edit on 4-11-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I no stupid! i are smrt, i mean smart!

But seriously, sometimes I make simple (and down right idiotic) spelling mistakes. It's like my brain just cops out and voila, grammatical hell. I do however FORCE myself to realize those mistakes when I can and correct them. I've found that it's helped at least my grammatical capabilities some and minimized my spelling errors even though they still occur.

Thanks for the story OP, definitely an interesting read.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
my pappy always done told me that aint no fancy words aint do no good for anyone exept those city slickers anyway!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
I make more dysphonetic errors than phonetic.So Im not stupid,its just a hiccup in my lexical processing.

Is that what I suffer from?

Knowing how to spell certain words and the meaning of them, but I can't properly pronounce them? Sometimes I get all tongue tied.

But it has also turned me into a walking Thesaurus.

edit on 4-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

I end up with typos bwcause my iphone keyboard is tiny

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Here's something interesting.
Mistranslation between Japan and America caused the attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
So people with bad spelling stupid? No, they are extremely dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I also say NO. Poor spellers are far from stupid. I have a borderline autistic son and his spelling is tip top, so is his mathematics and he is only 8. Actually he can spell better than I can and I'm 30 plus I have a degree.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Spelling is not in itself important, i don't think it reflects on one's intelligence, my brother could hardly read or write, but he could design electronic circuits

If you can read this, you're smarter than you think;

"spelling is bunk"- Henry T. Frod

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

IM dylexsic and I dont care. I am happy being me and peeps can still understand me..

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

I do not think people with spelling problems are stupid.
As well spellin wrong can have so many reasons:

- typing fast, concentrating more on what you have to say, then on how you type it (happens to me very often)
- spelling in foregin languages
- and we get so used to spell-checkers and short writing with our technology, that we probably pay less attention to it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I ate my Ant ..when she hate my buttry tosht.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I have always had spelling problems, however i am much more aware ( i think smart and stupid are pointless terms as most people excel at something although it may not be a "smart" activity) than most of my peers, and seem to know alot more about the world around me (yes i am dodging calling myself smart
). I do however articulate myself very well, which may also be the problem, as i havent seen more than half the words i use written before

I always considered whether i was dyslexic, never took a test, but then again I
Learned:
Danish from 0-6 (Danish School)
Sweedish from 6-11 (Swedish School)
English 11 onwards

So i never had a continued languge i studied for.
edit on 4/11/11 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
My grasp is starting to slip the older I become. Mind you I do remember inhaling all those burning mad cows.

These bloody great talons aren't helping me this week either.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join