It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon Is Upsidedown Tonight ! Las Vegas, Nevada

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Let me help you out here Soylent. The sun appears to go around the earth. This apparent path of the sun is called the ecliptic. The ecliptic is roughly in line with the equator. This means that at the equator if you look up at noon the sun is often directly overhead. This path of the sun deviates from the equator by a maximum of 23.5 degrees. The path of the sun crosses the equator at the equinoxes, fall and spring. The 23.5 degree variation mark is hit halfway between these two occurrences, one each above and below the equator. That coincides with the soltices, summer and winter. The moon appears to travel across the sky never more than 5 degrees away from the path of the sun. Do the math.

You'd have to be very giving to consider the ecliptic even roughly in line with the Earth's equator considering we're tilted approx 23 degrees off of it. The ecliptic is the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun...it is called the ecliptic because the ancients that studied the moon, etc, as the people in this post having been talking about, traced this path by where in the sky eclipses of the Sun and Moon would occur. The ecliptic is roughly close to the Sun's equator, not Earth's.

As the other graphic Soylent posted shows the Earth's tilt, it also shows the moon's orbit is tilted off the ecliptic by about 5 degrees.

The only person who argued that you were lying about the moon 'pointing down' so to speak was earlier in the thread...which they did not edit out your date stamp in the photo btw...they rotated the picture which means the time stamp is now in the Upper right corner of the image reading bottom to top instead of the bottom right reading left to right. I just looked at it not 5 minutes ago so I can assure you that you can go back and see for yourself...just scroll over on the image.

You're getting pretty worked up by people agreeing that the moon does indeed look this way just because they're trying to explain to you why it's not unusual? People often take things like the sun and moon for granted and even though they are impossible to miss, that doesn't mean people pay attention to them all that closely. We humans can be pretty involved in our own petty lives to check the moon's phase and position every night, or really hardly ever.

I will admit you have to be good at visualizing to understand the the diagrams some have posted. Suffice to say, that the majority of the populated areas of Northern hemisphere are currently above the ecliptic during the day, and below or almost right on the ecliptic during the night.

Simple graphic would be sorta like this for the winter.

--------Sun------Earth
---------O----------/

During the summer, it would look like this

Earth-----Sun
/----------O----------

With the northern hemisphere tilted Towards the Sun, not because the Earth leaned the other way, but because we are on the other side of our orbit around the Sun.

As you can see, from an outside perspective, the Earth maintains roughly the same universal direction of it's axial tilt. The Earth is always tilted the same relative direction, but it's position around the sun changes.

This means that parts of the northern hemisphere are above the ecliptic during winter day, which is why it gets colder, and then dip below the ecliptic at night...because again, the Earth is stays tilted away from the sun as we rotate around to the night side.

The reverse is true in the summer because the Earth is still tilted in basically the same direction. The areas that tilted on or below the ecliptic during the winter at night, are now doing so during the day which causes it to get warmer.

So if you can picture all of that and understand...now imagine the moon. It does not orbit around Earth's equator. It is only off the ecliptic by approx 5 degrees. So while it's apparent phases do not change, their rotation when viewed at night most-certainly will change perspective throughout the year.

edit on 4-11-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Not only is our school systems failing our youth today, it's also making them more aggressive combatants that they will defend their ignorance with even greater ignorance so diligently.

Tell you folks what that can't understand that animation of the moon during a quarter of the earth's daily rotation, put it on your resume when you apply for employment at any science related job, (chemistry, physics, astronomy, engineering, medicine, management, IT/IM, etc...), and see if they don't laugh out on the street to sell pencils.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I am putting together a graphic for the thread and the people in it. It will take a little time and then I will post it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Nobody is arguing here...we are simply pointing out the math (i.e., simple geometry) confirms your photographic evidence...we are further stating if you happen out sometime after sunset (very near the time you took the photo) today or early tomorrow, you will be able to take much the same picture...the Moon has been doing this for years upon years upon years...and the math confirms you do not need to live at or near the Earth's equator to see it...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Illustronic

I wont dignify your remarks with an answer. I can say this however. Address the links I provided earlier in this thread and stay on topic please.

I did in my first post, the earth rotates around its axis.

If you can't understand that I'm not going to dignify this thread by entertaining any more issues brought up about it. If you can't understand I don't need to address any of your links to point out your misunderstanding then how will you understand any explanations about what's going on in any links?

It's like, if you can't manufacture complex composite metal alloys you won't make a successful jet engine. Start by learning the basic concepts of building a glider first.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
...With the exception of earth shine there are very few occasions where the Moon should look like a boat anywhere north of the equator.

I've already explained that the Moon's orbital plane and the Earth's equator do not coincide with each other. The Moon's orbital plane should be considered to be "The Equator" for your argument.

I've also explained that (at this time of the year) much of the Northern Hemisphere will CROSS OVER that orbital plane of the moon during the Earth's rotation during a 24-hour period. Therefore, it could be said that the northern hemisphere IS sometime at or near the "equator" (which, in this case, could be considered to be the Moon's orbital plane) during some parts of a 24-hour day.

Look at this graphic below, then picture where Las Vegas is, then picture where Las Vegas is as the Earth rotates:

The Moon's Orbital Plane

Do you have any idea how many pictures there are of this upturned crescent? With all the lights and distractions here on earth something very strange would be necessary to divert someones attention to something as common as the Moon.

I'm saying an upturned crescent is sometimes completely normal...so I have no doubt people have taken many photographs of it.

edit on 11/4/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Please review the information on this link............
www.darkstar1.co.uk...
The upturned crescent is almost always associated with something big, I'm not saying it's an omen, just a pattern.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Allow me to intrude here...

If you have a problem with the theory, or story, to OP is putting forward fine. However...commentary on his intelligence, truthfulness, and assorted other garbage stops right now.

Point out the fallacies or truths as you please, but the personal commentary about the OP stops.

You've been warned.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Excellent illustration of how the Moon's orbital plane will rise in relation to the Equator of the Earth in the winter...One could picture the Earth rotating on the axis and Las Vegas, NV, being on the right side of that picture...as it the Moon revolves and the Earth rotates, depending on the time of year, the Moon would actually appear upside down in the sky just before it sets...

I am around five degrees further North than the OP...I have seen the Upside Down Moon before...Actually, it was right around the time of the huge earthquake/tsunami in SE Asia...Rarely am I up around the time of the setting moon at night...It caused me some alarm at the time, because I was aware the earth shaking can cause wobble on the axis...but, just another act of nature...

To be clear here, I'm not saying the Moon can have that "boat" look because parts of the Earth can cross above and below the Moon's orbital plane during one 24-hour rotation.

I'm just saying that's why the effect can be seen even if the observer is 45 degrees or more above the equator. Granted, if someone was above the arctic circle, this effect might be difficult to notice because the moon may rise later and set earlier than it would in the mid-latitudes to low latitudes.

edit on 11/4/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's not just the moon that flips over every day, so does the Milky Way and everything else because the earth is rotating on it's axis, the earth you are standing on is moving around. The ecliptic is an imaginary plane that levels the earth's rotation around the sun, no other planet's rotation is on this same plane, and the earth itself is tilted 23º off of that plane so we have seasons and different sky views throughout the year. The moon isn't on this ecliptic in fact the earth isn't the true solar system ecliptic we just use that like Greenwich England to base our time zones.

edit on 4-11-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Which is more likely.

1, The moon is regularly flipping itself upside down using some mechanism unknown to science, and only observed by you and not by the thousands of professional astronomers amateur worldwide.

2, You lack understanding of how the earth moon and sun interact?

Well it could be the reason why we have never been back to the moon since 1972 Hummmm wonder why, but thats classified. Oh and I fixed your spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

HOLLY YIKES!!! You've got to be F'in kidding me! I wish they would teach astrophysics in high school again. I read the first three pages and couldn't stand it any more.

The Moon has been waxing and waning every month and tilting across the sky for longer then man has been here to witness it. There is nothing unusual about this. The problem here is your denial of a simple understanding of astrophysics. The Moon is not turning upside down, your point of observation is because the Earth is spinning and it is a sphere. We are standing on a spinning sphere! Your so called phenomena happens every month. Actually if you look at the Lunar features you will see this happening during a full moon as well. The background stars also do this, appear to tilt as they move across the sky, every night all year long.

If you really want to understand this correctly stay outside and observe the stars as they do this, appear to turn upside down. Take a look at the constellation Orion. It can be seen clearly in the night sky from your location at this time. Notice how it appears to tilt from east to west over the coarse of the night just like the Moon.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Great link, not. It attempted to download a virus.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

Originally posted by Atzil321
Which is more likely.

1, The moon is regularly flipping itself upside down using some mechanism unknown to science, and only observed by you and not by the thousands of professional astronomers amateur worldwide.

2, You lack understanding of how the earth moon and sun interact?

Well it could be the reason why we have never been back to the moon since 1972 Hummmm wonder why, but thats classified

Can you explain how the Moon isn't doing what it has always done -- i.e., please explain WHY you say something is wrong with the Moon, and show me how the Moon is supposed to look when it rises and sets.

Once you do that, then you can provide a more detailed explanation as to why you think this is associated with the idea that someone/something told us to stay away from the Moon.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

reply to post by theRiverGoddess

I am glad you saw it as well in realtime. It is amazing how some of the posters in this thread go beyond disagreeing but actually edit and prefabricate lies . Editing and removing dates , flipping the images and lastly Call me a liar when they know better. Thanks for your post.. Keep looking up

People who do things like that are often paid to do so. And also paid to deny it.

Don't let them bother you. Continue to present your evidence and there are plenty who will be glad of it and pay attention.

I too have noticed what you have lately and it's obviously something millions of people have noticed if you take a quick search of the subject on Google. Yet those paid to present the propaganda will continue to assert it is only YOU who has noticed. Rest assured, millions have noticed.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely
People who do things like that are often paid to do so. And also paid to deny it.

I'd be more willing to believe that those, like you, who try to perpetuate ignorance in such disinformation tactics, are paid to do so, than any of us trying to explain the concept of the sun/moon/earth system.

Afterall, we're only explaining the truth...we understand that the OP and some others may not have noticed this happen.

Gods...I'm starting to feel like I'm talking to the lady who thought there was something wrong with the water because there were rainbows in the spray from her sprinkler....

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

Click here for more information.

"Deny Ignorance"

Top down view of the moons orbit. This should clear up any misconceptions about what is happening. It is natural.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Top down view of the moons orbit. This should clear up any misconceptions about what is happening. It is natural.

In your dreams. Since you clearly produce evidence that the conspiracy isn't real then it means you are a part of the conspiracy and spreading disinformation.

And anyway, we all know that everythingy ou see on the internet is false

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Don't be too hard on DB, after all, Medicine men need to make a living.

This is more or less how I saw the Moon earlier,

www.chiddingstone.kent.sch.uk...

edit on 4-11-2011 by smurfy because: Link.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join