The Moon Is Upsidedown Tonight ! Las Vegas, Nevada

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
For what its worth, I was out on a walk tonight and happened to get a cool picture of the moon. I am in the PNW...NW corner of Washington State. It was about five pm or so. Here is the picture...note the geese flying in front are rightside up.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

That's a good illustration of what seems like an impossible moon position. If the lit portion points at the sun, then the sun should be high in the sky to the right. But presumably it's near the horizon at this point.

But you've got to think in 3D. The line up to the right just indicates the plane that the sun is in. The position of the sun is somewhere behind your right shoulder, and much lower than a line off to the right.

Consider two cases similar to your photo. A full moon, and a half moon. In the full moon case, the sun would be directly behind you, so it would be below the horizon the same amount the moon is above it.

In the half moon case (waxing, like in your photo), the sun would be directly to the right of you. If you raised your right arm to the right, and tilted at the same angle as the moon, then you should be pointing at the sun

The case in your photo is between the two, but much closer to the full moon. So the sun will be low behind you, probably below the horizon.

Hard to visualize (I'm not even 100% sure I'm correct here), which is why these "something is wrong with the moon" topics keep cropping up.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Good description. Pretty accurate. Yes, it was behind me, slightly to my right and just below the horizon (barely)

In fact, here is a picture of the sunset behind me just a few minutes before:

I don't know much about the moon and don't have an opinion or anything technical to add to the conversation, just some photos to help out.
edit on 7-11-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hello. I am the guy that started this thread. I want to say to those who are arriving late that there are some here who seem to think they are experts in this subject. I assure you , they are not experts. They are good at smoke and mirrors. I have posted to exhaustion throughout this thread equally weighted evidence that is as valid as anyones. If you want two sides of this story , I suggest you ask for it. There are thousands of people, tens of thousands that know and say there is something different with the moon and sun that has never been seen before. What these debunkers will do is scandalous. For example on the first page of this thread , one of them edits and reposts my original post. I show shortly thereafter that he is a liar and no one seems to care about that fact. Where are those supposedly interested in truth when that happened? You know who you are. Your posting this morning in here. Aren't you? Care to give an expert opinion on that? No , of course not. Bottom line is the boat moon in an equatorial moon and its not right to see it halfway towards the North Pole and people are seeing it. These guys will tell you "Oh thats normal" Yes a pig is a goat and a goat is an elephant. You know who I am so ask what you want. There are no experts in here. There are however, people with their eyes open and The Govt hates that. Don't they?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
Bottom line is the boat moon in an equatorial moon and its not right to see it halfway towards the North Pole and people are seeing it. These guys will tell you "Oh thats normal" Yes a pig is a goat and a goat is an elephant.

Okay, explain why that's the bottom line, when all of astronomy seems to disagree with you:

www.usatoday.com...

Q: The moon now (on March 25) is a crescent that looks like the Cheshire Cat smiling down at us — I almost never see it looking this way. Why does the crescent moon look like a grin? (Al, Washington, DC)

A: It is uncommon to see it that way. The Crescent Moon grins, with its horns pointing straight up, only once every 7 to 14 months at our middle latitudes.

Note that for a perfectly straight up moon. Plenty of times it's just close to upwards. Like in your photos.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Only once? I have 12 pictures of it this year alone all in different months. What about the lies in the first page about me. Do have an expert opinion on that? Do you ? Are you going to go around the question again?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

It's an S5700
I dropped it a while back so the lcd isn't working (happened literally the day after the warantee ran out) so i have to do all the technical stuff via the eyepiece.
it's now 1927. I took the first photo today at 3pm so i'd like to take the next at 9....

By the way, it's a clear night and the temp is about minus 1, i'd say
edit on 7-11-2011 by Aestheteka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Have you had a chance to put together your theory as to what's causing the moon and sun discrepancies?

Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

I have more than theory, and I will post it , I would like an answer ti my question. Why doenn't anyone have anything to say about the lies spouted aboutme on the first page?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I just took this pic 10 minutes ago. I think that speaks for itself. It was 12:55 am pst.

You then linked to here, to claim this happened only at the equator:

www.straightdope.com...

But your link says

The angle varies quite a bit over the course of the year due to the earth's axial tilt and so on, but on average [at the equator] the crescent is centered at the 6 o'clock position. In more temperate latitudes, the sun sinks at an angle, so the crescent points in that direction. At 30 degrees north latitude (about New Orleans), the crescent on average is at the 5 o'clock position on the lunar face; at 45 degrees north (Minneapolis), it's at 4:30.

So based on your own link, then your photo shows a perfectly normal moon.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

But not night after night. Are you going to comment on the lies about me from the first page or not?

A: It is uncommon to see it that way. The Crescent Moon grins, with its horns pointing straight up, only once every 7 to 14 months at our middle latitudes

Only once? It's done this 5 nights in a row..
edit on 7-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Uncinus

But not night after night. Are you going to comment on the lies about me from the first page or not?

The guy was wrong. What more is there to say?

A: It is uncommon to see it that way. The Crescent Moon grins, with its horns pointing straight up, only once every 7 to 14 months at our middle latitudes

Only once? It's done this 5 nights in a row..

That's one lunar cycle every 7-14 months - so you are seeing the SAME lunar cycle, and it refers to straight up, not a bit off like yours, which is more common.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
NOTICE: This Thread Has Been Moved From Space Exploration To Skunk Works

You are always welcome to post your opinions, should be able to do so without being ridiculed or maligned, and I'm sorry to see that happen here. The thread has been reviewed, several of the more egregious problem posts have been removed, and staff members are monitoring the thread for further problems. We did not remove some posts for which there were many responses because doing so would have left some gaping holes and potentially caused confusion in the thread.

It is not appropriate for anyone to call you a liar, mischaracterize your position or otherwise attack you, regardless of what they may think. We do take ALERTs seriously and have responded to several already. Members who disagree with your statements or theories are, however, welcome to do so politely and a great many members have done so in this thread.

The short description for the Space Exploration forum is "Space-Based Science and Discussion. Exploring the Universe." There have been many science-based posts and quite a few of them are excellent. Thank you to everyone who has chosen to discuss the topic with a respect for scientific inquiry, high evidentiary standards and logical analysis. It is appreciated.

While scholarly, science-based debate and challenges to conventional wisdom are fine in the Space Exploration forum, suggestions of a conspiracy to cover up or conceal significant changes to the movements or characteristics of major heavenly bodies don't really fall within its purview. Questions about unusual space-related phenomena are quite appropriate for the forum, but over the course of this thread, we seem to be moving more and more away from the science and more toward a speculative or conspiracy angle.

There's nothing wrong with that, but threads with such a focus are more suited to a more speculative venue, and while some members may be put off by the name, the Skunk Works actually represents what we consider one of our most important kinds of forum. Since this thread does seem to fall into that category, myself and other moderators believe it is a better fit here.

For all members contributing to this thread, please be aware that skepticism and polite refutations of the premise for this topic are welcome here as in any ATS forum, but ridicule and trolling are most certainly not, and for as adamant as we may be about that in Space Exploration or other forums, such behavior is even more unwelcome in the Skunk Works, because this forum exists specifically to give members a place to discuss unconventional topics without fear of ridicule or abuse.

So let's please bear that in mind, maintain civil, on-topic discussion, respect the right of every ATS member to believe or disbelieve whatever they choose and, let us hope, Deny Ignorance.

Thanks.

edit on 11/7/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Your link

www.almanac.com...

showing the moon phase (the little black & white photo in your post) for Las Vegas, NV for Nov. 4, 2011 is the same as the phase angle I pulled up for Prudhoe Bay, Alaska from your link

www.almanac.com...

Prudhoe Bay is well within the Arctic Circle. Your link didn't allow me to bring up phases for anyplace outside the U.S. so I found another link to show the phases in Singapore

www.kwathabeng.co.za...

Singapore is on the equator but the phase looks exactly the same as the one for Las Vegas and for Prudhoe Bay.

My question isn't why this is so - I already know the answer to that. My question is why would you deliberately present false information? I thought this was a science forum not a goof-ball forum. I can accept that you were clowning around because it was almost lunch time and that indicates that you're not completely ignorant but I am trying to get your post removed.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So why not post them so we can see the differences?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I am not a liar and the pic I post below proves it.

Notice the street lights below the moon. The reference you make to the almanac is not a picture but an artists rendering. I don't know you and don't appreciate you calling me a liar.
I ALSO SEE THAT YOU EDITED MY ORIGINAL PIC AND REMOVED THE DATE FROM THE RIGHT LOWER CORNER!!
edit on 4-11-2011 by CherubBaby because: Added txt

Just a review of what we have...You claim the poster removed the date from you photo...not true...it is there in now the UPPER right corner, as it should be...in other words, you did not perform a full review of readily available evidence...As he is the only poster who called you a liar, that close that case...

Next, I am really looking forward to all of the evidence you state you have, along with evidence the government is behind it all...Thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Uncinus

Only once? I have 12 pictures of it this year alone all in different months. What about the lies in the first page about me. Do have an expert opinion on that? Do you ? Are you going to go around the question again?

I have given my expert opinion on that, as have several others here...now, if you would please (even though your post is moved to Skunk Works [releasing you from evidence-based proof]...which based on your comments concerning government concealment, is where it should have been originally) provide the other numerous phots you have from the last twelve months, I would like to see them...thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jeichelberg

You are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you also state that the image I posted has the date in the upper right corner just as it should be/? WRONG it is supposed to be in the lower right corner. He rotated it and you know it. Below is what he posted.

That is not how I posted it.

My post He EDITED was this way and btw my camera puts the date at the bottom right. Are you an EXPERT on THAT too? Below is the way I posted the original post. Its on the first page.

You as an expert as you claim ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! So where and who deemed you the title of EXPERT on this subject. I am no expert but I know when someone is falsifying my posts and so do you being a So Called Expert.
So you say.. AN expert at what? Dis-info?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi

Your link

www.almanac.com...

showing the moon phase (the little black & white photo in your post) for Las Vegas, NV for Nov. 4, 2011 is the same as the phase angle I pulled up for Prudhoe Bay, Alaska from your link

www.almanac.com...

Prudhoe Bay is well within the Arctic Circle. Your link didn't allow me to bring up phases for anyplace outside the U.S. so I found another link to show the phases in Singapore

www.kwathabeng.co.za...

Singapore is on the equator but the phase looks exactly the same as the one for Las Vegas and for Prudhoe Bay.

My question isn't why this is so - I already know the answer to that.

You might want to point out why this is so.

The published moon phases look the same because the phase of the moon is essentially the same everywhere on the planet.

The apparent tilt (the angle) varies based on your latitude, and the position of the moon on its path across the sky. It also varies with the seasons (the tilt of the earth relative to the sun).

Like many people. Atzil321 made the mistake of assuming that the moon should look exactly the same as in the almanac, so he assumed the picture was rotated. Clearly it was not.

However it shows a normal moon, in keeping with all the linked sources, and geometry.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

No atzil321 made the nistake of editing my post and then calling me a liar. Or do you still disagree with that???

new topics
top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join