It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon Is Upsidedown Tonight ! Las Vegas, Nevada

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by CherubBaby

Sorry, you're correct, it's not the shadow of earth.

nod a note

apod.nasa.gov...
edit on 5-11-2011 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeichelberg
reply to post by luxordelphi

And for the last and final time...please post something...anything...that states beyond all reasonable doubt...we, in the Northern Hemisphere at 41 degrees N would not be able to see a Boat or Cheshire Moon...you have not and will not be able to do so...As Jim Rome would...OUT!!!

I did.

edit on 5-11-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Like trying to explain to a four year old why the world is not flat.
I have provided the info.
Use your brain and keyboard.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
There are these strange people, thousands of them, whose favorite hobby is literally looking at the night sky. They can look up, point at a star and tell you it's name. They spend crazy amounts of money to buy telescopes, and camera attachments so they can photograph the night sky. If there was something "wrong" with the moon, there would be thousands of these people, all over the internet trying to get the phenomenon named after them, like they do with comets etc.... Get a grip.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hi, I'm Gorznak Erpderp, a hydrated silica miner from Mars. I happen to live in a small underground home, and upon venturing out onto the surface to gather a few rocks to cook, I happened to notice something strange. It appears your Earth is upside down.

img822.imageshack.us...

Could you please turn it back around? I'm OCD and it's really bugging me.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

That is the entire point of the thread. When were you near the equator? What country were you in? I would like to know it you don't mind sharing a little about what you saw..

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing. Great thread!

Now I have something extra to look for in the night sky. I haven't been paying attention to the moon lately so of course I missed it

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
sorrry nm

got confused
edit on 5-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The shiny part of the moon points to the sun, it's illuminating force.
It the moon we're to flip, you would see a whole other set of lunar features being shone upon.
No one is seeing that. no one.
That's all there is to it.
No complicated math, or diagrams, or animations needed.

If the moon flipped over, then the Sun would have to have changed it's relative position too, in order to show the EXACT same features being illuminated. I'm sorry, but that would piss off ALL the planets, and we'd really have something to worry about.

This is a science forum...At least, it used to be. Stop the lunacy, please.
The phase follows the sun. Look at the moon, and you know where the sun is.
Case closed.
And if some respect isn't shown towards each other, rather than bickering...The thread will be closed too.

Got it?

edit on 5-11-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Stop the lunacy, please.
The phase follows the sun. Look at the moon, and you know where the sun is.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of LUNACY

a : insanity
b : intermittent insanity once believed to be related to phases of the moon

Nicely done

edit on 5-11-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
If you are saying the supposed moon rotation has something to do with you being dizzy, it truly makes you a

WATER HEAD

sorry had to do it.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by idunno12

Originally posted by Sly1one

I have been feeling exceptionally dizzy all day today however...
according to stellarium and outside my window...the universe is working as intended currently...
edit on 4-11-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

I've also been incredibly dizzy for the last two days to the point of feeling nauseous. I just mentioned it to my husband this evening that I feel like I have motion sickness. It has finally subsided and I feel much better right now. It could be attributed to just about anything, I guess, but I just thought I would chime in since you posted this.

And to the OP, I just went outside and looked and I actually can not see the moon at all. I don't know if its being blocked by fog or clouds or what but I can't see it...

I am in southern Idaho.

Ya I don't know I'm personally pretty tripped out by the dizziness because well, honestly IM NEVER DIZZY...unless I intentionally spun around...I have no idea why I am dizzy but I have been all day. I'm not sick to my stomach its just really really annoying to see the room spinning and to feel off-balance for an entire day.

I'm hoping I'm just really tired and when I wake up tomo all will be well...if not i'm going to be a bit upset Im tired of being dizzy....

edit on 4-11-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)
Sounds like Labyrinthitis. I had a bad attack 8 years ago and was bedridden for 3 months. I still get it now, it comes and goes. Avoid caffeine and salt.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If the moon flipped on its axis, you would have much bigger worries that dizziness.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You posted the link demonstrating the current phase of the Moon...now...picture the Moon rising...You think it would look like a sphere with a line from 0 degrees (top) to 180 degrees (bottom) when it rises? and then as it commences its journey across the sky at night it will will remain exactly as it looks in the picture? Sorry...that does not make sense...Look at Orion...when it rises, the right shoulder is at the TOP of the horizon...when it is overhead, it looks as if it is standing upright, then as it sets, the left shoulder is all we see...Nope...the Moon does not rise with a vertically split spherical view and does not set with a vertically split spherical view...the side facing the Sun will always reflect the light...and it does not need to be at or near the Equator in order to be viewed this way...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

And for the last and final time...please post something...anything...that states beyond all reasonable doubt...we, in the Northern Hemisphere at 41 degrees N would not be able to see a Boat or Cheshire Moon...you have not and will not be able to do so...As Jim Rome would...OUT!!!

Your diagram with the sun left out has been a huge mistake. Starting with that premise your options are few or none. Personal attack would be one of the few. Without a sun, you will not be able to show a boat, bowl etc. etc. moon anywhere. So, to answer your question, with the aid of your diagram, there would be no phases anywhere and no light shining on the moon at any angle from any location at any time.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It was like that as long as Moon exists. Welcome to the astronomy.

edit on 5-11-2011 by sergejsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I made a rough graphic that I hope will clear this up.

In my graphic, the little stick figure is standing at about the 40° North Latitude. This is also about where that latitude would be in at night the late fall (around now) relative to the Sun.

The Moon is setting near the west-southwest, and is at the first quarter phase (as in the OP's picture). The little stick figure is facing west, watching the Moon set. When the Moon is setting in the first quarter phase, line drawn between the Moon, then Earth, then Sun would make a 90° angle, with the Sun to the observers' back.

EDIT TO ADD: As LeoVirgo pointed out in a post below, the Moon would actually be behind the earth in this graphic (in the 1st quarter phase), but for clarity purposes, I'm showing it slightly away from "behind" the Earth.

Try to imaging that it is well beyond the earth in my graphic, still creating a 90 degree angle with the Earth at the vertex.

With all that in mind, the top graphic is what this Earth-Moon system would look like keeping the ecliptic plane level.

The bottom graphic is what it would look like if the Earth-Moon system is rotated so the observer at 40° North Latitude is standing on level ground.

This graphic is rough and not mathematically 100% accurate, but it is accurate enough to get the point across. It seems pretty clear by this graphic that there moon WILL look like a "boat" on occasion while setting, as seen from the mid-latitudes on Earth. Of course this effect would be more pronounced closer to the equator (or, more precisely, where the Moon's ecliptic plane intersects the Earth), but the effect can still be seen at higher latitudes.

edit on 11/5/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Is it just me, Illustronic? Or is your avatar a picture of the famous Middle Digit Nebula?

;o)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
I made a rough graphic that I hope will clear this up.

In my graphic, the little stick figure is standing at about the 40° North Latitude. This is also about where that latitude would be in at night the late fall (around now) relative to the Sun.

The Moon is setting near the west-southwest, and is at the first quarter phase (as in the OP's picture). The little stick figure is facing west, watching the Moon set. When the Moon is setting in the first quarter phase, line drawn between the Moon, then Earth, then Sun would make a 90° angle, with the Sun to the observers' back.

With all that in mind, the top graphic is what this Earth-Moon system would look like keeping the ecliptic plane level.

The bottom graphic is what it would look like if the Earth-Moon system is rotated so the observer at 40° North Latitude is standing on level ground.

This graphic is rough and not mathematically 100% accurate, but it is accurate enough to get the point across. It seems pretty clear by this graphic that there moon WILL look like a "boat" on occasion while setting, as seen from the mid-latitudes on Earth. Of course this effect would be more pronounced closer to the equator (or, more precisely, where the Moon's ecliptic plane intersects the Earth), but the effect can still be seen at higher latitudes.

the main reason your image does not explain what is going on is the place you have the moon compared to the sun and earth....would result of 'full moon'.

such happens when the moon (the boat moon that is) is not on the other side of the earth and has more to do with the sun sitting off to the side from the moons position instead of on a direct line path with the moon and its location.

lets say when the sun sets, its directly west. lets say when the moon sets it will be somewhat southwest. the sun will be shining at a angle to the moon. lets say the moon an sun are on a direct line path, and that the sun will set in the west and then the moon will also set in the west. we would see then a total bottom crescent, a total real boat moon, the smiling moon.

i totally get what your trying to display in the pics...but im unsure people will take it for what your showing and scream out that in the moons position in the image, it would be a full moon. so unsure if the image is really explaining what they are seeing for the moon and sun are not opposite in the sky right now.

edit to add....I think you were trying to explain it correctly, but the image of the first pic confused me at what you were explaining...sorry if I didnt understand your explanation along with the images. going to post a few pics to try to describe what im saying though...

edit on 5-11-2011 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2011 by LeoVirgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi

Your diagram with the sun left out has been a huge mistake. Starting with that premise your options are few or none. Personal attack would be one of the few. Without a sun, you will not be able to show a boat, bowl etc. etc. moon anywhere. So, to answer your question, with the aid of your diagram, there would be no phases anywhere and no light shining on the moon at any angle from any location at any time.

Personal attack? I have made no personal attacks here or anywhere else in all ATS...I see Soylent (whose diagram I referenced) has taken the time to add the Sun...Now, look at that diagram...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Double post (sorry)

See below (next page)

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join