It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush photographed wearing Air Force award he never earned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

A closer examination of a photograph included in President George W. Bush�s Air Force records, released by the White House earlier this year, shows then-Second Lieutenant Bush wearing an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award which he never earned.

Additionally, Lieutenant Bush would not have been authorized to wear the ribbon temporarily, the Air Force Personnel Center said in an email.
The Blue Lemur

Supporters of Senator John Kerry yesterday warned of "blowback" against President George W Bush for the political "attack ads" by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth which have damaged Mr Kerry's election campaign.

After weeks of denigration of the Democratic challenger's Vietnam war record, Mr Kerry's backers have responded with allegations against the President - including the claim that he was once photographed in uniform wearing a medal ribbon he had not earned.
Telegraph UK

Speaking of medals, I was thinking, "Would I volunteer to go to Vietnam, just to prepare for my political future?" It sounded like a good idea until I remembered, I could of been killed. Just like in Iraq. I wonder how many soldiers are running around Fallujah now thinking, "This is going to look great on my resume for President!

EDIT: I messed up the title.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by curme]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Curme that is hilarious, where did you come across all this things? It is good to lighten up once in a while even if is at somebody else expences.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Some loyal patriot will be along shortly (I'm sure) to explain how W did earn that medal for some ambiguous association to a unit he seemed unable to find for extended periods of time around drug check day.

And they'll base their knowledge on the same "experience" in Nam they hate Kerry for touting.

But it's okay, as when Shrubies demand respect for their opinion via unprovable assertions of bravery over the Internet it's just gold.

Lift your trousers. Here they come now...

[edit on 1-9-2004 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
curme I remember a thread on this a few weeks ago and I believe several of the vets here posted data that showed this was in fact incorrect information. A review of those medals against photos of military medals of that time showed based on the colors (darker vs lighter) these were the appropraite medals for him to wear. I tried searching for this post but I have never gotten the new search to work right. I am sure someone else can maybe find it.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
curme I remember a thread on this a few weeks ago and I believe several of the vets here posted data that showed this was in fact incorrect information. A review of those medals against photos of military medals of that time showed based on the colors (darker vs lighter) these were the appropraite medals for him to wear. I tried searching for this post but I have never gotten the new search to work right. I am sure someone else can maybe find it.

Hey, if Bush really earned those medals, I won't knock him. I'm just trying to learn the facts like everyone else. Although I do enjoy the irony of the news item, and from what I've read it appears to be true.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
He is wearing a UNIT award, that means everybody in the unit gets to wear it (as opposed to a personal award). This has been previously posted and thoroughly debunked... if such a picture truly existed it would be all over the print media, cable/TV and of course, John Kerry's website.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
He is wearing a UNIT award, that means everybody in the unit gets to wear it (as opposed to a personal award). This has been previously posted and thoroughly debunked... if such a picture truly existed it would be all over the print media, cable/TV and of course, John Kerry's website.

Just so I don't look like an ass if I repeat this story, can you show me where it's been thoroughly debunked? I can't find the debunking anywhere. And yes, you'd think it would be everywhere in the media, with the liberal bias and such. I mean, the Telegraph just reported it three days ago, and, it's the first I've heard of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Debunking and trashing threads. Just for those against Bush.

Inside joke between me and most of America.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Just so I don't look like an ass if I repeat this story, can you show me where it's been thoroughly debunked? I can't find the debunking anywhere. And yes, you'd think it would be everywhere in the media, with the liberal bias and such. I mean, the Telegraph just reported it three days ago, and, it's the first I've heard of it.

Awards such as this are awarded to a command, a squadron, etc. EVERYONE attached to that organization when it is awarded gets to wear it. It's really just that simple.

Description of the "Outstanding Unit Award".

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Awards such as this are awarded to a command, a squadron, etc. EVERYONE attached to that organization when it is awarded gets to wear it. It's really just that simple.

Description of the "Outstanding Unit Award".

Bush was discharged in '73, the Unit was adwarded the ribbon in '75, but that's not the point. He's wearing the ribbon in '69 or '70 (based on his pilot wings)! And his biography doesn't even list that he earned the medal in the first place!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Bush was discharged in '73, the Unit was adwarded the ribbon in '75, but that's not the point. He's wearing the ribbon in '69 or '70 (based on his pilot wings)! And his biography doesn't even list that he earned the medal in the first place!

I think Mirthful Me is right on this one. If I remember correctly the Unit was awarded the ribbon in '66 and anyone who becomes attached to the Unit is allowed to wear it.

That probably explains why its not listed in his biography since it's a Unit honor and not an individual one.

top topics

join