It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake $200 bill gets passed as real

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
www.wpxi.com...

Bogus Bill Does Not Exist

POSTED: 12:01 pm EDT September 1, 2004
UPDATED: 4:23 pm EDT September 1, 2004
WESTMORELAND COUNTY, Pa. -- A woman has been charged with passing bogus money at the Fashion Bug store in Hempfield Plaza.

A cashier accepted the $200 bill last month.

Police said several clues on the money should have been a dead give away, including the fact that a $200 bill does not exist.

Officials said the bill is unique in that it has a picture of President George W. Bush on the front and a picture of the White House with signs on the lawn on the back.

Authorities should have been apparent to anyone that the bill was not legal tender.

The bogus bill was not discovered until the store owner looked at it later.

There are images on the site.
The interesting thing is How intelligent does one have to be to accept this as real?

[edit on 1-9-2004 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

What an idiot for accepting it! hahahaha

I should try and pass off some deception dollars as real cash and see what happens..

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Funny thing is, is that I'm from this part of PA. I'll tell you now that they aren't the brightest bulbs out there. Not trying to say anything about them because I used to be just as gulible (sp?). And I do have to say, now that I live in DC, there are many stores here that sell quite a few bogus bills that could at first glance be thought of as real. Maybe this woman had many customers? Did anyone think of that? Maybe she was so overwhelmed that she just excepted it without thinking or looking. It does happen.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Can they actually charge the person with counterfeit? It looks like play money and the clerk that accepted it is the real crime here.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Immigrants. Not to be biased but if you are at a clothing store in a country you never knew you might confuse the dollar bill. I mean who looks at the serial code. I say you should arrest the person for accepting it:for stupidity. I think they should go easy on her.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
Maybe this woman had many customers? Did anyone think of that? Maybe she was so overwhelmed that she just excepted it without thinking or looking. It does happen.

That can happen.. but when you see a $200 bill, something might click. Especially when it has Bush on it.. or the Whitehouse lawn with signs on it??

Just like the lady with the $1,000,000 bill, who wanted change, too...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Years ago in New Orleans, there was a rather eccentric fellow who haunted the French Quarter, passing out slips of paper which resembled US currency except that his own picture appeared on the face of the bill and the denomination was eleven dollars. On the reverse, was a diatribe of some sort.

No one thought much of the guy until someone took one of the bills to the Tulane University Bookstore and passed it off as real, even receiving change from the cashier for eleven dollars, which is to say that the cashier in a rushed moment confused the phony bill for a ten dollar bill. The maker of the bill was later arrested for counterfeiting, but charges were ultimately dropped on the grounds that he did not intend to have the bills used for the purposes of fraud and the fact that most people considered him harmless, but off his rocker.

I don't believe that the person who actually passed the bill was ever identified. The incident didn't look good for the university, but if memory serves the cashier was a foreign student who simply made an honest error.

[edit on 04/9/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
They havent said what the clerk looks like or anything, so I donno anything about that. But i think poreppy people work there, so I think it was an american who took the bill, going on the store here.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Everything is computerized now, most likely whoever accepted the money barely looked at it just puched it in to the computer and gave whatever change was due. I was in a MCDonalds once when the power was out. Cashiers were forced to write down prices and try to figure out change, they did not have a clue how to do it. School systems do not teach common sense, transactions without a calculator, people are lost, not to defend the person who did this but if they don't know the basics how can they know the difference?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
I was in a MCDonalds once when the power was out. Cashiers were forced to write down prices and try to figure out change, they did not have a clue how to do it.

Everywhere I've ever been McDonald's staff hardly represented the cream of the high school crop. People don't learn how to count change anymore. The cash register tells the cashier how much change to return and the cashiers count out that much. It's a shame such simple and effective techniques have been lost.

[edit on 04/9/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
Everything is computerized now, most likely whoever accepted the money barely looked at it just puched it in to the computer and gave whatever change was due. I was in a MCDonalds once when the power was out. Cashiers were forced to write down prices and try to figure out change, they did not have a clue how to do it. School systems do not teach common sense, transactions without a calculator, people are lost, not to defend the person who did this but if they don't know the basics how can they know the difference?

I dont think i'de go to a McDonalds if the powers out, "Cashier - Of course our burgers are hot and fresh"

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
I'm from this part of PA. I'll tell you now that they aren't the brightest bulbs out there.

I lived down at that area for quite a while. As soon as i read Westmoreland county, I just said "that figures".

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

I dont think i'de go to a McDonalds if the powers out, "Cashier - Of course our burgers are hot and fresh"

Definately agreed, or at least have a caculator with ya, or exact change.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Moron!

Bills cannot have a picture of someone who is still alive

Bush isn't dead. Although many wish he was

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
One was passed in Virginia several months ago. They called it a counterfeit $200 bill. How can something be counterfeit when a real one doesn't exit?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I once went to my local gas station to fill up. The girl at the counter was staring into her hands with a look of wonder in her eyes.
She said " I've never seen these before" and showed me a PILE of $10.00 coins with Dubya's grill on them. Some dude just bought like 4 cartons of death sticks with them, she said. Unfortunatly, I had to inform her that they were actually collector coins from a TV ad. They ARE legal tender coins however....in Liberia!!! The Liberian Gov't will whore out their own money to any schmuck corp who wants to make a special edition coin thats "genuine". So would I if I was as dirt-@$$ poor as them!www.americanmint.com... When I explained all this to her, I actually saw the color in her drain like a cartoon thermometer.
Hey, lets start a pool and get a $10.00 coin with the ATS motto on it!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
10$ with Bush's face on them...... Anyways.

But yes, it is a law, if not dead, not on Money. You have to be DEAD! That should be a clue. But good point, a counterfeit 200$ bill? There is no real one, so it is just a 200$ bill, not a fake one, cause there is no real one.

top topics

join