It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for Berlusconi to step down as Italy worries grow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
BBC News

Six former allies of Silvio Berlusconi in the Italian parliament have urged him to quit after his government failed to agree urgent economic reforms.

The rebel MPs wrote an open letter calling for a "new political phase and a new government" to enact reforms agreed with Italy's eurozone partners.

Mr Berlusconi told fellow G20 leaders at a summit in Cannes that Italy had always honoured its debts.

But Italian government bonds came under new pressure amid market jitters.

Yields on 10-year BTP bonds hit more than 6.3%, creeping closer to the level of 7% which many analysts believe could lead to a so-called "buyers' strike" where investors take fright and refuse to buy, Reuters news agency reports.

The rebel MPs, three of whom have already left the ruling coalition, wrote to Mr Berlusconi in a letter published by the daily Corriere della Sera.

"Be the backer of a new political phase and a new government which would have the task, from now until the end of the legislative term, of implementing the agenda agreed with our European partners and with it, the indications which came from the European Central Bank," they said.

Goodness gracious me.
Now another Eurozone leader facing turmoil and revolt from his own party ranks due to the country's deepening economic woes. The dominoes are falling.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
greece 2 anyone? except with less michelle pfeiffer

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ha ha hey I got to say, I was watching a news clip last night that was talking about Italy's economic problems, and footage showing people walking about and man, is there some hot Italian beauties there or what!? Maybe I should move to the Eurozone and suffer the economic consequences but snag meself an Italian babe.

join