It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. cyber espionage report names China and Russia as main culprits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Billions of dollars of trade secrets, technology and intellectual property are being siphoned each year from the computer systems of U.S. government agencies, corporations and research institutions to benefit the economies of China and other countries, the Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive said

washingtonpost.com

Now this is interesting.

It is like a form of internet warfare. How bold of the US government to point the fingers publicly, though this may be a warning to other countries such as Japan and Germany.

But this is one of those quiet crimes that we rarely hear of.

In fact, China has set up Project 863 to acquire U.S. technology and sensitive economic information in clandestine fashion for just that purpose, the report said. Last year, Google announced that proprietary data were stolen by hackers in China, which experts called part of a vast campaign of economic espionage

The big question is here, exactly what is going to be done about it?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Attacking our economy? Pfft. Go ahead. It's a pretty dead target.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

"A response to a cyber-incident or attack on the US would not necessarily be a cyber-response. All appropriate options would be on the table," Pentagon spokesman Colonel Dave Lapan

it certainly feels as though NATO is setting itself up to combat SCO which seems to be a de-facto ally of Iran.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

This is pretty chilling:

In fact, China has set up Project 863 to acquire U.S. technology and sensitive economic information in clandestine fashion for just that purpose, the report said. Last year, Google announced that proprietary data were stolen by hackers in China, which experts called part of a vast campaign of economic espionage

And no its not a dead target, it can be much worse.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I totally don't believe it.

This is just more propaganda demonizing China.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Sounds like they are making sure China knows that they are not going to be allowed to back up Iran for the coming war. Pretty bold move though...has China responded yet?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
cool should also relize china and russia are the ones doing it period... stop posting top secret stuff on comps .. remove it and use a better way.. instead of setting it up for easy access

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
They have to demonize China and make them out to be economic terrorist before they can default on them.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Point blank: Is anybody really all that surprised? I mean, really?

Russia and the U.S. were in a Cold War for 50 years. That's not going to change overnight, especially when people who grew up with the propaganda are still alive. As for China, it's copied the U.S.'s game and is doing it commie style.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

then what about russia? Isreal and France are guilty of it too, they are just not the biggest contributers. And what if we find out that China is doing it to everybody?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Im not sure how many people know what Hillary Clinton has been up to with Russia. She runs USAID program. They have decided to give Russia fifty million dollars to teach them how to use the internet. That money goes with A billion dollar program Cisco has planned to teach Russia how to use the internet.

www.reuters.com...

Oct 13 (Reuters) - Networking giant Cisco Systems and USAID have signed a deal under which they will fund up to $50 million of initiatives to boost the use of IT by government and civilians in Russia.

en.rian.ru...

CISCO, one of the largest technology companies in the world, will plow $100 million into Russian venture capital projects and could increase its investment to $1 billion over several years, CEO John Chambers said on Wednesday.

But if im not mistaken Russia has had computers as long as the US.

www.techradar.com...

According to the Russian Virtual Computer Museum, Lebedev's team had now swollen to 150, and they were even able to export a BESM-2 to China. By the 1960s, the Soviet military had truly woken up to the computer's potential for planning, logistics, and battlefield simulation. They demanded even more number-crunching power.

In response, Lebedev made the first Soviet supercomputer, BESM-6, in 1967. Running at an impressive 10MHz to speed execution, the BESM-6 used cache memory to store frequently used instructions and could work on processing up to 14 instructions at once. Lebedev called this the 'principle of water pipe' – what we now call instruction pipelining. However, much of the technology used in the BESM-6 wasn't original. It was stolen from IBM.

So why would Hillary give them fifty million dollars? They don't need to learn how to use the internet.According to the CIA factbook about Russia. Russia has as many internet users as France Thier not far behind the UK. Hell Russia is listed as number ten for countries with the most internet users. They are listed at number 12 for the countries with the most internet host. And USAID thinks that a fund should be given to them as if they are a third world country who needs help learning about those techy doodad things that civilized countries use. WTF!

[url]https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2153rank.html?countryName=Russia&countryCode=rs®ionCode=cas&rank=10#rs[/ url]

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wondering if sometimes this money just "disappears"? Why in the world would (or should) the US be giving Russia this amount of money to teach them how to use computers and the Internet. Maybe it's a payoff, for looking the other way when whatever is going to happen in Iran begins. We sure like to throw around the money, don't we? Almost like we have it!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The other day a friend that runs a web forum sent me a email that he was getting strange hits from my computer and that i should check for a virus or malware.

I checked and found none on my computer and he found none on his servers.

I then got a friend that is a IT for the navy to come over and check my computer and he found it clean.

This is what the forum site was getting with my IP address as the source

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

26.44.240.230 columbus ohio Today at 06:39:23 PM--- DoD Network Information Center
226.123.252.177 no match Today at 06:39:15 PM

134.229.198.208 virginia beach virgina Today at 06:39:00 PM -- Navy Network Information Center (NNIC)
179.54.29.184 no match Today at 06:38:42 PM

142.99.69.208 regina, canada Today at 06:35:11 PM -- Saskatchewan Institute of Applied
108.214.178.160 generic sbc --kansas Today at 06:34:32 PM

207.157.96.174 montgomery, alabama Today at 06:34:32 PM -- Alabama Supercomputer Network
Trenholm State Technical College
177.171.45.66 no match Today at 06:34:24 PM
254.27.149.16 no match Today at 06:34:09 PM
38.132.93.137 washington dc Today at 06:34:09 PM -- PSINet (SecuniaPSI is software to ensure all programs are uptodate)
123.214.44.60 seoul, s. korea Today at 06:33:29 PM -- Hanaro Telecom, Inc.
220.181.19.156 Beijing china Today at 06:33:28 PM -- Data Communication Division
CHINANET Beijing Province Network
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------

What we think was is the town i live in is right outside a major navy research base and that the Chinese have hacked into the cable Internet system and is reading? and using IP addresses to try to enter other computers.

They may be trying to find government employees and enter there computer so can they go into military run computers using log on cookies or reading logons real time.

Of course the local cable company denies that this could happen or anything like this has happened.

But you will notice that the first time wise hit using my IP address at the bottom of the list was "Data Communication Division CHINANET Beijing Province Network"

And at the other end they seem to have hit "DoD Network Information Center" and the "Navy Network Information Center (NNIC)"

We found that a few other people in town that are government employees have seen strange thing like this on there computers.

edit on 3-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join