It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all OWS debaters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've just been thinking,... Some of you agree with OWS and some of you think that OWS is unknowingly working for the bad guys. Well the real effect is still up in the air, the outcome may be good or bad, remains to be seen. But there are a ton of people here, with all sorts of education, experience, ideas etc. My thoughts were, since the movement seems to be ramping up in some places , and we here don't really know how much our ideas, findings etc. might get out into the general public. I would like to ask all of you with strong feelings about the movement a couple of questions and see what might come out of it.

I know that some here might think it is futile to protest these days, but let's imagine for a minute that it might make a difference. I would like to see a discussion about where might be some places that would make the biggest impact. I also would like to hear from all sides, (pos or neg about OWS). Imagine for a minute that we're not talking about the OWS crowd, but just a huge number of people occupying some space, any space and how it may be useful to the future of our country, or the world in general. Basically I'm wondering, if you considered that this type of movement might work well, then who, what, where, and when/how often would be the best way to go about it.

In my thinking, there are a ton of companies, banks, corporations, industries, plants etc. that are acting irresponsibly toward our future generations, and I would like to hear from those of you who are in the know, how you might bring attention to these facets of our life in a way that would have fast and major effects toward getting them to act responsibly. I believe this discussion is something that we as a world community need to be having, and this is as great a place to start as any. All these people on the streets are full of energy and looking to make a difference. How do you get them to work for you, where would you put them? Here are a couple of questions to you all, please feel free to expand on these questions or add in your thoughts about the subject in general.

Where do you think the best place for a million people to occupy would be?
Who do you think the best corporations etc. would be to stand up against?
What kind of place do you think a large group of occupiers could make the biggest difference.
What is the most effective way of demonstrating? What's acceptable and what's not?
When is the best time to confront them, or challenge them with the best result.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that the movement is growing too fast for it's own good.

Surely a group of that size can have no real direction, since they seem to be playing it by ear almost daily.

The more people you have, the greater the challenge to stay focused.
No one has declared themselves the leader of the movement, but I don't see this happening anyway because there are way too many differing idealogies floating around for everyone to be able to be in full agreement regarding the future of OWS.

I say a small number of radicals will eventually ruin it for all.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix0714

Okay, for starters, I think that maybe there could be a set time maybe on the first day of every month, or maybe the first Saturday. The people in their town could put together a cheap website or blog to discuss the companies, or places in their area that are acting irresponsibly and go down to peacefully protest these places. I believe that there may be any number of ways to occupy/protest a company and each place may call for a different method, like for instance just refusing to let the TSA search your car? I'm not suggesting this of course, just wondered what would happen if people just did that in a form of peaceful opposition. I think that education might be one of the strongest forces for change, and if people took the research out to the folks that supported a company unknowingly, this might help. The goal of course would be to get this information right into the hands of those who mattered without wasting valuable time and resources.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I don't really have a bone to pick with your thread but....

I didn't see anything about Government corruption and bureaucracy, The ending of the Fed or the Overwhelmingly obvious entrenchment of Corporatism in at high levels.

But other than that great thread.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If you ask me, I wouldn't mind getting screwed by the bankers and politicians if they would just promise to stop killing people around the world.

I think gathering and then occupying the Pentagon would be very productive. Sever the snake's head.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah, I know sorry. I am pretty disheartened about the idea of trying to protest against our government. I think if we sent about twenty million down to fight for a tent space on the white house lawn, then someone might, well it probably wouldn't work anyways. But I think that we could possibly embarrass, harass, and expose some other companies into straitening up their act. I think that our gov't and some others are going to have to learn from example, possibly from the major corporations they try to emulate... some can't learn from the mistakes of others, but have to make them themselves to learn from them, often, over and over before the solution becomes habit.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

What they entire movement fails to address is our elders. Including my Mother. Do any of you really think that you can give a big FU to the entire Country? Think about that first to get anyone on your side. You can rulke my Mother out of even thinking about it, along with countless Millions that are Elderly.
Ensure them their rightful place, then you may have a shot at your cause.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The way I see it, the reason this movement is stagnating is that there are simply too many issues under the umbrella. Wall-street has become synonymous with a whole host of other problems that, though they may be directly/indirectly coupled with the stock exchange, don't really have anything to do with Wall-street. It has become the straw-man which, though indeed a villain deserving public outcry in its own right, is detracting attention away from where many of the problems being protested actually sit.

To be an effective movement it needs to be paired down.

Mega-Corporation monopolies need to be addressed, one need only to look at the breakdowns of CEO's on theyrule to know what I mean. As stated above, single out which companies are behaving irresponsibly and target them.

Financial corruption needs to be addressed. There are many far more capable, learned people than I who know how the game works and speak openly about the fouls, its time we listen and collectively engage this issue.

Governmental leniency with regard to both of these issues is another area that needs addressed in its own right. I know well that TPTB wont ever budge on this stuff but it still needs its own hammer, what good it will do is questionable.

Credit usury...need i say more? I am sorry but 21+% interest rates even on defaulted loans is criminal. Period.

This list could go on and on but I think you get my point. It is too much to take in one bite and that is what is happening with the expected results.

BTW, yes this is my first post on ATS, I figured it as good a place to start as any. Hi

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

Hey, welcome!

Pretty new here myself as far as posting and contributing, but the issues you bring up are exactly why I created the thread. I think it is great that the OWS movement kind of jumpstarted the action, now I wonder how or if the energy can break up and move into more precise and effective directions.

Great response, thanks

top topics

join