It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombs Over Tehran

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
A few A-10's and/or Apache's would be all that is needed to wipe out those Bavar 2's.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
You're talking about the Bavar-2s? Well, I doubt you would even be flying an F-22 in the first place considering that you can seem to determine the difference between aircraft and skipping patrol craft. The Bavar-2s employ an inversion effect above the water, meaning that they fly above the water (safe from underwater weapons) while lying low under 100ft, good avoiding radar detection and attacking ships. If they can arm them with anti-ship missiles (or even Skhval torpedos like on their fast attack boats), then they would be very formidable.

And how does a ground effect aircraft do against attack helicopters with missiles? Quite poorly. Much less a superhornet.

Here's what I see with these Bavar-2's.

www.youtube.com...

Yes, the supersonic/hypersonic missiles are a threat. These are ammo-expenders.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

Well, they'd be helpless against aircraft. But the point is if Iran sends out 50 of them armed with anti-ship missiles and loses 48 of them to helo's and frigates but manage to put a large hole in an aircraft carrier, they probably call it a good day.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

You're talking about the Bavar-2s? Well, I doubt you would even be flying an F-22 in the first place considering that you can seem to determine the difference between aircraft and skipping patrol craft. The Bavar-2s employ an inversion effect above the water, meaning that they fly above the water (safe from underwater weapons) while lying low under 100ft, good avoiding radar detection and attacking ships. If they can arm them with anti-ship missiles (or even Skhval torpedos like on their fast attack boats), then they would be very formidable.

And how does a ground effect aircraft do against attack helicopters with missiles? Quite poorly. Much less a superhornet.

Here's what I see with these Bavar-2's.

www.youtube.com...

Yes, the supersonic/hypersonic missiles are a threat. These are ammo-expenders.

Helicopters with missiles? Apaches are armed with air-to-air missiles now? Which kind of missiles? There are navalized Apaches?

And you seriously think that these Bavars would be on their own without any air cover or defenses for intercepting aircraft?

These Bavars are patrol craft. I'm more interested in what they developed to improve on the design.

And please tell me how an Apache would be even practically effective against a Bavar 2, which probably flies much faster anyways. And one guy said A-10s would be effective- you mean ground attack aircraft intercepting flying boats that skip along the surface? Do American combat commanders think in the same logic?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Helicopters with missiles? Apaches are armed with air-to-air missiles now? Which kind of missiles? There are navalized Apaches?

And you seriously think that these Bavars would be on their own without any air cover or defenses for intercepting aircraft?

These Bavars are patrol craft. I'm more interested in what they developed to improve on the design.

And please tell me how an Apache would be even practically effective against a Bavar 2, which probably flies much faster anyways. And one guy said A-10s would be effective- you mean ground attack aircraft intercepting flying boats that skip along the surface? Do American combat commanders think in the same logic?

Apaches have always had a capability for A-A IR missiles - Sidewinder and Stinger.

You actually think an AH-64 Apache would be outrun by an 100 knot craft? And they certainly do not need to navalize it to operate it in the gulf there.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
I could imagine playing up the F117

Except the F-117 was retired in 2008......

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by firepilot

Apaches have always had a capability for A-A IR missiles - Sidewinder and Stinger.

You actually think an AH-64 Apache would be outrun by an 100 knot craft? And they certainly do not need to navalize it to operate it in the gulf there.

Capability is different from deployability.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
reply to post by mbkennel

Well, they'd be helpless against aircraft. But the point is if Iran sends out 50 of them armed with anti-ship missiles and loses 48 of them to helo's and frigates but manage to put a large hole in an aircraft carrier, they probably call it a good day.

So this requires that

* all of them are driven by suicidal Revolutionary Guarders who will maintain discipline when all their comrades are being blown up
* they are actually outfitted with anti-ship missiles unlike the small guns shown in the video
* somebody knows how to get the targeting information to these things and somebody can put it in the missile
* the side with the aircraft carrier forgets what the range limits are

A little thinking like: "they are there, we are here, their boats can go X fast, our aircraft can go Y fast. Where should we be?"

These craft look like they have less capability than a Japanese Zero. At least the Japanese Kamikaze could fly nearly straight down at a high speed to cause real damage to the deck instead of the thickly armored sides.

Any capability would have to come from the hypothetical guided missiles which are not on display, and in that case, why bother with a delivery platform which screams "bomb me"?

These things are patrol craft, good for looking for drug smugglers, not fighting a technological navy & airforce.

In a hypothetical Iranian Gulf War, the area would be swarmed by hundreds of F18's from the carriers, F16's/F15's from Saudi and Kuwaiti airbases, plus all the helicopters. Any of them could attack an armed patrol boat with impunity.

edit on 5-11-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Well, sure if you're foolish enough to use them that way. I'm not saying they are a super-weapon by any means. The idea that they are "stealth attack boats" is laughable. But if they sent up a few packages with strike fighters, and a swarm of Silkworms from Abu Musa-- maybe add a few ASM's from diesel attack subs to give the controllers scores of plots to look at (in addition to directing your "hundreds" of F-18's/etc), I don't think it's unreasonable to think a group of WiG vehicles with Saccade's, for example, might stand a good chance of getting close enough in the confusion and putting holes in hulls. Having said that, the plan is very easy to type, but much harder to coordinate.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think Iran will probably retaliate NOT by fighting the attackers BUT by raining all its missles on Israel. Being a small country that would be devastating and when all the dust settles...there will finally be peace in the middle east NO Iran ...NO Israel..

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by slanteye
I think Iran will probably retaliate NOT by fighting the attackers BUT by raining all its missles on Israel. Being a small country that would be devastating and when all the dust settles...there will finally be peace in the middle east NO Iran ...NO Israel..

And no Palestine, hence why it will never happen.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname

needs more plasma rifle. and yes they do exist.

Good for what? what's the firing rate? the mobility?

Gizmos don't win wars.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join