It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombs Over Tehran

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
With military action against the Islamic Republic of Iran looking increasingly likely, there is rampant speculation about what manner of equipment might be utilised by the three main players (USA, UK, Israel).

I would be curious what people on here might expect to see potentially going into combat in this era of delayed projects, defence cuts and general disarray with the air-forces of all three countries.

Furthermore, how are Iranians going to combat this? Are we going to see F-14 going up against their makers, or are the flying boats ready for air to air combat?

N.B: This is a discussion about strategic air power and military hardware. Leave the politics and ethics at the door.

Jensy
edit on 3/11/11 by jensy because: It wasn't ready yet!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't think its going to be anything new, unless they roll the direct energy weapons in from iraq.

needs more plasma rifle. and yes they do exist.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Stealth planes..B2's..etc..

Cruise missiles.

Drones.

Electronic counter measures.

Special Forces led guerrilla warfare.

Rods from God ?

Cosmic...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Its will obviously be nuclear bunker busters.

ALS

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If their claims are correct about nuclear facilities being hardened deep underground then you can probably expect nuclear bunker busters (Wikipedia). What better way to fight nukes with than nukes themselves? Right?

edit on 3-11-2011 by fenceSitter because: Grammar

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think there just going to use ballistic missiles, gunships, attack helicopters and a few other toys. Possibly using the high powered lasers they use to destroy missiles just in case Iran decides to fire one of their "nuclear weapons". As for a ground war? Let Israel take care of that.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
A heavier emphasis on drones and stealth to map and then neutralize air defenses. I could imagine playing up the F117 while something else does the work?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The West would start with a massive missile attack taking out Irans military infrastructure (radar network, surface to air missiles, communications, air fields). at the same time the west would destroy Irans Navy which does not have a blue water fleet, It's more of a regional navy at best. Anyone with knowledge on the subject would realize Irans military doesn't really have a chance to survive an attack, referring to large pieces of military hardware.

Iran has plenty of handheld surface to surface and surface to air missiles which will cause many casualties for the west and for the first time since WW1 we'll see the large scale use of chemical and bio warfare agents being deployed against troops, most likely coming from the revolutionary guard.
The troops of Iran will fight more fanatically than the west an will cause many deaths assuming a ground invasion takes place. All this is assuming other powers do not back Iran btw. With that said I have a really bad feeling about this (coming from a warhawk).
edit on 3-11-2011 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Everyone seems very convinced about the hardcore hardware, but can the US really afford to fight a war with those sorts of toys at the moment?

In my mind I was thinking that we might see B-1Bs and B-2s carrying conventional ordinance with the two fleets sitting off the coast and launching tomahawks.

I can't see the F-15s and 16's of the IAF being able to really inflict much damage bearing in mind they would have to fly over a choice of Iraq, Turkey or Syria.

Jensy

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I know this sounds sick, but I personally feel from the US and UK military perspective the Trident offers the best all round solution, the variable payload, accuracy and new arming and firing mechanism (which was designed for similar hardened targets) will create the best chance of success in disabling whatever plot the Iranians are meant to be engaging in while keeping civilian casualties to a minimum.

Any other type of actions risks losing men and equipment while also causing extensive needless civilian deaths. The excessive levels of fall over required, meaning extra men, weapons and kit used to ensure targets are hit deep inside Iran make such an operation pretty cost prohibitive.

I honestly do not feel it practical to attack the Iranian facilities due to a) the cost b) the potential to cause extensive civilian casualties and c) the only real solution viable solution is Trident, the use of which creates a whole new game.

^^^ just my opinion

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Like I said, this is not a discussion which abides by morality!!

As has been seen with Iranian strategy in the past, they have no qualms about sending thousands to die. This does make nuclear and option in the way it previously did with the Japanese (the fact that more people could die in a conventional conflict resolution).

The strategic problem with Trident would be the potential escalation into a conflict with Russia, China or any other really dangerous power.

Jensy

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jensy

The various weapon systems, platforms and ammunition have already been bought and paid for. Plenty of ammo in reserve.

The real costs will come from support and other logistics regarding personnel and delivering equipment to the theater of operations.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jensy

I realise that, but you know, to suggest using Tridents I did need a caveat that I do not support such an idea

The new Mk 4A Arming, Fusing and Firing system of the Trident has been designed for these types of target, which is why I believe it the only weapon available to ensure the job is completed successfully with minimal casualties all round, especially when you consider how widespread the targets are.

link   
reply to post by jensy

The Iranian F-14`s are probably scrap by now. When they were purchased it was before the current gov. there was in power and after the switch the spare parts wer cut off.

The world knows the capabilities of our Air Force, Naval, and Marine combat aircraft as well as the Israeli AF and i`m sure it would be countered by a heavy SAM threat instead of Iranian warplanes. It might start out as a regular fight with airpower(including drones and missles) paving the way for the ground forces but then we will be looking at another occupation fighting unconventual forces that use guerrilla tactics.

I also wanted to bring this idea up. Anyone remember Greece taking a recent order of 400 M1A1 tanks? It was in another thread a few weeks ago. Sounds like they are being staged at a closer location so they do not have to be shipped or airlifted as far. Keep on the watchout for more hardware being "sold" to other countries around the area.

Those flying boats look more like a recreational vehicle rather than a warplane, I just want to know where i can buy one in Candy Apple Red

edit on 3-11-2011 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Fitch303
The West would start with a massive missile attack taking out Irans military infrastructure (radar network, surface to air missiles, communications, air fields). at the same time the west would destroy Irans Navy which does not have a blue water fleet, It's more of a regional navy at best. Anyone with knowledge on the subject would realize Irans military doesn't really have a chance to survive ....

The troops of Iran will fight more fanatically than the west an will cause many deaths assuming a ground invasion takes place. All this is assuming other powers do not back Iran btw. With that said I have a really bad feeling about this (coming from a warhawk).

The US/West are aware of this scenario. Why invade? Just dismantle the country using stand off weapon systems. Then when the dust settles let the Iranians decide for themselves. No need for boots on the ground to destroy a country.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Fromk a UK point of view I expect the following

Rapier 2 deployment for missile interception
Royal Navy Destroyers First in to target Iranian Radar and missile defence with Tommahawk and cruise milliles
Tornado GR4 low level bombing raids to destroy airfield runways
Eurofighter Air to Air Patrol
Tornado GR4 bunker busters
SAS on the ground sabotage, reconniscence and uprising.

Troops if required.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

The West would start with a massive missile attack taking out Irans military infrastructure (radar network, surface to air missiles, communications, air fields). at the same time the west would destroy Irans Navy which does not have a blue water fleet, It's more of a regional navy at best. Anyone with knowledge on the subject would realize Irans military doesn't really have a chance to survive ....

The US/West are aware of this scenario. Why invade? Just dismantle the country using stand off weapon systems. Then when the dust settles let the Iranians decide for themselves. No need for boots on the ground to destroy a country.

It's not the weapons it's the people who control the weapons. With the same power structure in place although severely crippled change will not happen. Missiles and aircraft will not get rid of military members with handheld weapons taking cover in cities and high population areas.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by Cosmic4life

Stealth planes..B2's..etc..

Yep. The entirety of the US Air Force and US Navy

Cruise missiles.

Drones.

Electronic counter measures.

Yep

Special Forces led guerrilla warfare.

Not until the borders are cleared.

Rods from God ?

Satellite warfare?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

It's not the weapons it's the people who control the weapons. With the same power structure in place although severely crippled change will not happen. Missiles and aircraft will not get rid of military members with handheld weapons taking cover in cities and high population areas.

Who cares about change?
Dismantle their infrastructure, Radio, TV, Bridges, Hospitals, Schools, Dams, oil fields, Airports, sea ports and Rail lines etc etc.

Again,,,Why invade?

No need to physically invade to destroy a country.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensy
Everyone seems very convinced about the hardcore hardware, but can the US really afford to fight a war with those sorts of toys at the moment?

In my mind I was thinking that we might see B-1Bs and B-2s carrying conventional ordinance with the two fleets sitting off the coast and launching tomahawks.

I can't see the F-15s and 16's of the IAF being able to really inflict much damage bearing in mind they would have to fly over a choice of Iraq, Turkey or Syria.

Jensy

Sunni controlled Iraq will have no problem with taking out Shia controlled Iran who has had their eyes on Iraq for sometime. No matter what anything other than peace is bad but this in my opinion will happen. Sad very sad.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join