It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Photoshop users know how to solve this font issue?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Hello!

I am having a little trouble with Photoshop, and haven't been able to figure this out, so I'm turning to the brains on here and asking for some help, if that's okay.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea as to what is going on... Arial regular ( this does NOT happen if I use Arial bold, italic, black, etc) keeps trying to update in Photoshop. I am forced to "update" it every time I open a file that contains that font. It has been quite a pain for me as I am working on a few projects that have a lot of Arial text in them.

The specific message I get is "Some text layers might need to be updated before they can be used for vector based output. Do you want to update those layers now?"
and I HAVE to click yes to modify the text, which wouldn't be such a big deal if Photoshop then didn't automatically change the font to something else, basically tripling my work time as then I have to go back in and change it all back to Arial, resize, etc.

I was wondering, does anyone know what could cause this? I deleted my Photoshop settings folder, ran the font error script, and Arial is and has been installed on my computer, this is only a very recent issue with it.

Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I do a lot of digital work but
never use Photoshop - reason
being - the glitches. I have had
problems with Gimp on my
computer, so lately I have been
sticking with Paint.Net. Everything
updates at one time instead having
to go thru what you are. Hope you
can resolve the problem and get
on with your project.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I use it every day but it doesnt mean I'm a pro. I've gotten that message before too. when you have your text where you want it, resized, etc. right click on that text layer over on the right and hit Rasterize Layer and then try to do whatever you did

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I really don't think it's a photoshop issue. Fonts are handeled by the operating system not by photoshop. I would reinstall the font that is causing a problem.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I reckon you have a few options here,

either rasterise your text, this means you wont be able to edit it again though, or re-install your font properly, or use another font, helvetica is close but way nicer...

You shouldn't really be doing your text work in photoshop though mate, you should always use a vector based package like illustrator for text and photoshop for what it was meant for, image manipulation and fancy work. Ive been designing for 10 years and never render text in photoshop if I can help it

hope that helps

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately my client needs the text in photoshop files. Thanks for the advice I prefer using illustrator for most of my work.

Also the client requested Arial for this certain project. I can't rasterize it yet because I am not done revising, and the thing is when I click on the text to revise it screws up and changes to another font. I am trying to eliminate that process as I have many text layers of arial in multiple files.

I can't figure out how to uninstall and reinstall Arial. I closed all programs and Windows tells me it is in use.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info, but does anyone know how to uninstall a font like Arial that is being used by the system anyway?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelaisaac

I'm not sure how to uninstall fonts on a Windows OS.

Question, have you checked to make sure there is just one font named arial? That could be the problem.

Also, does it do this every time you use the arial font or just some docs?

Thanks,
OiO

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

It does it in every document as long as Arial regular is used. It is the strangest thing, I booted Windows in safe mode and it let me delete all other versions of Arial except for Arial regular, which is the only version giving me issues.

I did check and there is only one Arial in my system, thanks for the response

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InfiniteTraveler

Thanks. I haven't figured out how to uninstall it yet. Would it be likely that the only program giving me issues with Arial is Photoshop if it is only causing me issues there? I have used it in Illustrator and I don't get any error messages.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Looks like someone else is having the same problem and someone has posted a theory on why it might be happening here:
forums.adobe.com...

Arial has been released several times so the Arial in the design file might not be identical to the Arial on your system and that's possibly why it's prompting you to update the layer because of the different version.
Try to source the same version of the font and install it. That link above will tell you how to check the version.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the help but turns out I fixed it through a system restore!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I have to agree with one of the thoughts posted above.

It doesn't sound necessarily like it's a Photoshop problem as much as perhaps the font itself. You may want to try uninstalling the font and then reinstalling it from the proper area in your OS.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelaisaac

Problem number one: using Arial, its helvetica's ugly bastard cousin that shouldnt see the light of day.
Problem number two: manipulating typefaces (using type in general) in photoshop. (get illustrator or indesign)

just thought Id mention what i noticed wrong first off.
i cant help you with your problem, I am sorry.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you are on W7, type fonts in the start menu search box. It will show you the fonts folder. You can download the font online, then drag and drop into that folder, hit replace and that should do it. I rarely work with text myself at all, so I really have no clue where you would download the up to date fonts though.

top topics

join