It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poorest poor in US hits new record: 1 in 15 people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
People in glass houses, and all that....

The ranks of America's poorest poor have climbed to a record high — 1 in 15 people — spread widely across metropolitan areas as the housing bust pushed many inner-city poor into suburbs and other outlying places and shriveled jobs and income. New census data paint a stark portrait of the nation's haves and have-nots at a time when unemployment remains persistently high.

Well, everyone except these guys:

"There now really is no unaffected group, except maybe the very top income earners,"

Poorest poor in US hits new record: 1 in 15 people

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I thought it was 1 in 6?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Now tell me that there won't be a major world war.
Do you really think that by voting for another professional politician, regardless of how popular they might be on ATS (oh, how well I remember everyone crooning over the incumbet POTUS), that this situation will resolve itself in the near term? as in the next centry?
Depopulation via war, pandemic, etc, here we go...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

That figure probably includes the christmas temporary workers...
They usually do

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
Now tell me that there won't be a major world war.
Do you really think that by voting for another professional politician, regardless of how popular they might be on ATS (oh, how well I remember everyone crooning over the incumbet POTUS), that this situation will resolve itself in the near term? as in the next centry?
Depopulation via war, pandemic, etc, here we go...

There won't be a major world war. Just a lot of small ones.

Voting is an illusion. Give the majority what they want, like a say in the matter. In return they give you what you need, submission. The end result doesn't matter.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DogsNGods

The second part, I agree with.
I even made a little video on the subject:

As to the first part, that IS a world war...
Unless you define a Biblical Megiddo type as being the prototypical WW?

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

BTW, judging from your introductory thread and the manner in which you wrote in that and this, I'd say this isn't your first time at this game...

Deja vu, and all that...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Democracy indeed. Spot and stripe, clever.

A collection of isolated strategic events that culminate into a global war, yes.

There have been wars that involve multiple nations for centuries but the title; WWIII, has to be reserved for the enormous power behind it. As time goes by the fear multiplies and that fear is a useful tool. Perhaps a tool Spot or Stripe might want to use.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

Different news-group type of forum, different content, different life, same rules apply.
It isn't that difficult if you know how to read.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I think I'm going to like you.
You're tainted enough...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
it willl keep on rising till money has value = 0

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is what happens when one chooses to use their house, car and country of choice as a bank account.

Also;

"As a mother, I feel so horrible. There's this sense of powerlessness. I wanted things to be better for them in this country," Alvarez said. "I (recently) suggested my youngest go back to Honduras. It's easier for me to help him there than here, where rent and everything is so expensive."

I do not remember inviting you here in the first place Ms. Alvarez. By all means, go back to Honduras and please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There was a report on China on Sky news today, basically showing the difference in mentality between them and us.
The avergae Chinese citizen saves 25% of every wage for when they retire, and also in case something should happen and they need the money. They forgo luxuries to prepare for the future so that they are not a burden on others.
We, on the other hand, want everything NOW and luckily for us the banks are willing to accomodate us in a mutual fantasy of debt and more debt.
When I was young, one's first car was a banger and only when one had learned to drive that and saved up enough could one upgrade to a newer, better model. The same went for housing. Nowadays people want a Mercedes for their first car and a Malibu beach house for their first property because MTV showed them lots of other 'winners' who have done the same.
Pimp my fat one.
And then, when the deluded Generation XYZ realize that they don't actually have a guaranteed 30 year job paying infinite amounts of money (like Puff Daddy, Justin Beiber or Paris Hilton do) and that instead of driving around in a limo they are in fact homeless due to eviction for not paying their third world nation sized credit card bills, they take to the street and blame everyone with a job for their misfortune.
And due to the Twilight zone-esque fact that all bank debts are insured by the State, the banks hand out whatever sum their muppet-minded clienteloe request, as they know they'll get it back from Big Brother. Where the nation gets the money from to pay off the banks is even more hilarious! They borrow their debt from other private banks to pay off the same priivate banks who they owe.
But is it really poverty when a family has a PS7, a widescreen multiplex home cinema, 43 pit bulls and half of a small central American nation working freelance in the kitchen?
But, darn it, without that new iphone I just couldn't survive!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is quite hilarious, to the point of nausea.

Medicated America, disposable America, generation dead.

My first vehicle was held together by rust and duct tape. I loved it because I worked for it, saved for it and purchased it with cash, oh my.

It is simple really, when we want something exceptional, we must consider making sacrifice, sometimes tremendous sacrifice to have it. I do not have real statistics, nor do I wish to look them up, but I am willing to bet that at least 60% of the individuals in this country could not even define the word sacrifice without using dictionary dot com from their smart phone.

The question has gone from; where do I want to be and what am I willing to do to get there?, to; I want it now and I don't care what I have to do to get it.

It is sad, and it makes me laugh.

new topics

top topics

join