It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
After my home was broken into twice, first I got an alarm system, next I got a gun, then I got a doberman.
And I can say with all honestly that I feel 100 times safer with a dog than with the alarm and gun.
In other words, I fully support the idea of having a dog.

As far as breeds, I obviously support getting a doberman. We also have a Shih Tzu/Maltese mix. And even though the doberman weights 10x's as much, they play great together (in fact, its usually the Shih Tzu that chases the doberman around our yard).

The only two cons is that they shed a good bit and need a lot of exercise.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Very best reply.

Go to the local shelter or animal rescue place.

All of our dogs have been 'thrown aways" and they have all been wonderful.......the throw aways are the best.

Adopt - spay and neuter.

edit on 18-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

Yes, when I looked into Lucy's eyes..............that was it.

Lucy was on doggie death row after being a puppy mill brood bitch for 6 years..........that's what many puppy mills do to their female puppy making machines when they no long have a need for them.

My sweet adorable Lucy.

She looks like someone dipped her in hot fudge!

Walks 3 miles a day and runs in our big back yard - vet says her muscle mass is amazing.

She weighs 44.5 pounds.
edit on 18-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

The more input the better............besides with all the frap going on in the world, we all need some warm fuzzy stories and pictures to brighten our day.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbread

My son had a bull mastiff, Zeus...........but keep in mind they don't live as long as other breeds.

Zeus had such bad hips he had to be euthanized at only 10 years of age...........I never saw my son cry except the day he held Zeus while he floated away and faded out.

This 200 pound dog didn't eat all that much, was a couch potato and ate yes ate my huge coffee table book, well 1/2 of it anyway...............how the hell could anyone eat 1/2 a huge book

His happy tail also cracked the glass on one of my curio cabinets.

He was perfectly potty broke (thank god), gentle as can be, smart and a wonderful dog............but how he ate 1/2 this book and it was a huge National Park Coffee Table book is beyond me.

One last thing, my son said when he walked him on a leash, people did not mess with him, so if you are a woman and like to walk, just don't leave your really cherished beautiful books laying down low.

Zeus was a sweetie pie.

My son had him cremated and the vet he went to sent a sympathy card with Zeus's paw print with the urn.

Broke my son's heart the day he lost Zeus.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Have you considered a Lab? They are great dogs as well.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This dog looks gorgeous. Last week my house was robbed and then I decided to own a dog for security. I was searching for those type of dogs from a long period for time. Thanks for sharing. You hadn't mentioned any price of the dog. May I know the price..? And if any more dogs with you please keep sharing..

how to find a dog breeder

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Akita. Depending on the breed some are of a Japanese police dog decent and have inherent guard dog instincts. They are very loyal and good with kids & elderly. Sometimes there'll be more fiesty ones or more spunky ones or various personalities, as with most every breed but they are considered a well known reliable dog that will protect you and your's for life.

Growing up through jr. high and hs we had 2 completely different Akitas, one M one F. The M was of the bigger police dog breed, he was known to corner people who were suspicious and/or kind of maneuver them where he had the complete control over there every move and then just wait for our command. We never taught him that, knew his mom and her family also..good dogs never trained to fight or even guard, they just did it instinctively. The F is of a different kind of Akita that is a bit smaller and stockier. She is not exactly the kind I think you are looking for but check into the Japanese police dog breed of Akita.

A famous scenario is that of the OJ Simpson case which gets any Akita breeder or friend there of to question the outcome of that whole deal. Akitas of the Japanese decent are well known to be loyal and caring to their people who home them, they almost (well do) carry a sixth sense about them and can weed out the good from the bad. For someone with malintent to get by without there notice is beyond anything usually heard of the breed.

Also, the Akita is fairly quiet, listens and is good with activity. Their variety in color is also remarkable but honestly I have always felt the dog chooses you just as much as you choose him or her, and the path just kinda unites so don' stress too hard

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Dobermans are by far a superior dog. Closely followed by the boxer. I say this because I have owned both recently. They both have passed away at ripe old ages.

The only drawback to the dobie is that they arent all weather dogs. Neither is the boxer for that matter.

Loki, my doberman was a beast of a dog 97lbs of sleek graceful muscle. He was shutzhund trained when I lived in Germany. One thing to note that someone mentioned earlier is the breeding in the USA compared to Europe. They breed their Dobies smaller and stockier there. They are short and muscular with little refinement. Here ours are a little taller and leaner and a little more graceful. One thing to remember is that the doberman breed is still rather young for the most part in europe...yes they came from there but many of the good ones were shipped out of europe during world war II. Most of what was left in Germany died during the war because they strapped explosives to them and blew things up with the dog.

edit on 16-12-2011 by kaferwerks because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2011 by kaferwerks because: spelling

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
here is a blury pic of my two...one is a golden who is getting old and the other is a chow mix who is middle age

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join