Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by floppynoodleson666

I don`t like bullfighting either, but if a dog attacks a ton of meat it would surely stop someone trying to enter your home

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Be9al

Good video. Always impresses me.

Yup. that's what boxers were bread for.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Be9al

This is true. Dogs are pretty good fighters. I just hate seeing dogs being used as tools of violence. Have you ever heard of Bull-baiting or Bear-Baiting?
some dog breeds were bred for very sick, violent reasons.
And; regardless of what they were bred for; a life of violence is no good for any creature.
edit on 2-11-2011 by floppynoodleson666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
From what you are looking for in your future dog I would have to say the choice for you is clear to me, that is unless you plan on leaving him alone in your house all day. Border Collie is what you want, unsurpassed in the attributes you seek especially intelligence wise...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well,

We just got another pup...and they are wonderfull dogs. They only bark pretty much if its something they dont like...they play together great and share...and are very laid back. Me personally if I were by myself would go with a shepard...but Animal Planet or some show called Rhodesians the "Navy Seal" of dogs

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I`d say that the king poodle will be your best dog. It knows both guarding and hunting. Used as a guard dog before the schaefer and is willing to hunt for/with you. But you need to shoot fast, because it goes right for the birds.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

While I appreciate your comments I think a border collie is nowhere near what I am looking for. I want a breed geared for protection. Border collies are great dogs though, amazing intelligence. A little too high strung and diminutive for my taste though.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

You know oddly enough I've heard that before. They certainly don't look like much in my opinion but I've heard they are very good hunters and even herders.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
15-20 lb cairn terriers. They hunt constantly for rabbits, snakes, rats, mice, birds, lizzards. Alarm bark for intruders on the property immediately. No dog aggression issues. For protection get a gun. These dogs are smart and notice stuff . I let my dog out front of the house and went out with her. I sat on the porch and she wouldn't leave me, she started sniffing immediately. Turns out a baby rattle snake was hanging on th the brick siding of the house in the mortar. I grabbed up my dog and found my husband and got him to kill that snake. She is very loyal. Male dogs wander off more than the females. Males bite more too. The female only bit me the day she gave birth to four puppies. She is worth every penny. Ancient Scottish dog breed. Bred to hunt the Cairn rock piles. Irish wolf hounds were used to hunt the deer and for protection.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

He's amazing!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

D'aawwwww. I'm a huge dog dork. I wanna give him a treat and a scratch.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Go with the German shepherd. They don't shed as much as you're thinking, and they're the best dogs ever. Any German shepherd mix is a good dog if you raise it right.

Make sure to get a puppy and keep it busy. German Shepherds do great with being immersed with love and training as puppies.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by Domo1

4.) German Shepard. Pros: Highly intelligent, loyal, protective, athletic Cons: Shedding, dog aggression, human aggression, I've never met one I liked, not as intimidating as a Doberman or Rottweiller, health issues, I think most are ugly

German shepherds are the best dogs you could ever have. Trust me on this, DO IT NOA

German Shepherds are the absolute BEST!!!! My 5 year old female is smart, gentle, beautiful, loyal and a heck of a guard dog. She loves her fenced yard and guards the house, car and me joyfully. It's her "job".

edit on 2-11-2011 by robyn because: format

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I have only owned shepherds. Several males and a female. I have friends that have Rots, Dobs, etc. so I have been exposed to a lot of other breeds. shepherds are wonderful dogs both for working and companions. Like most dogs, you need to train them early and they need a lot of mental stimulation and physical activity.

They take to commands very early and are very eager to please. The ones I have had are very food(treat) motivated.

I haven't seen any dog aggression, but they can be people aggressive (mostly leash aggression) but it seems to be based on curiosity rather than fear (i.e. they wag their tails while barking).

They bond with the family like crazy, and actually know when it is the kids bed time and herd them into bed.

Our friends that come over regularly are met with great abandon and they absolutely remember who they like and who they sort of tolerate.

Shedding is an issue, and I try to brush ours regularly so if that isn't something you want to do (or you don't mind the swiffer or vacuuming) then that may be an issue.

I love the breed, they are incredibly soulful and loyal.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I Agree . For Personal Protection if Trained Right , a German Shepard is the Best Dog a Survivalist could Ever have . Sieg !

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SnedsDawg

Another vote for boxer
Almost too intelligent. Certainly the best companion, good even with young children, and with out a doubt the biggest clowns in the dog kingdom.

Honorable mention: Rottweiler. If you want a clingy guard dog.. this is the one.. I wasn't even allowed to go to the bathroom by myself. Actually good with kids and extremely protective of family members.

Had a doberman too.. he was aggressive if I wasn't actually around though.. so sadly i had to give him to a friend. Couldn't have him keep cornering friends and family in doored off rooms
Super athletic dogs though.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Shamatt

Before I start let me say that I do intend to adopt a dog rather than purchase one from a breeder.

Did you really not read the first sentence in my OP?

Oops! That'ss teach me to try and skim..... sorry

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Male Lassie type collies have always done the things you seem to require . . . though they shed a lot.

You might also check into blue healer's.

Here's a list of large dog breeds:

www.justdogbreeds.com...

Another similar list:

www.dog-breeds.net...

Above link has alphabetical listing.

I've heard good things about:

--Anatolian Shepherds

--Great Pyrenees

--Australian Shepherds

--Bouvier des Flandres though they need brushing twice/week for moderate shedding and then trimming every 6-8 weeks.

--Karelian Bear Dogs

A collection of extra large dog breeds:

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

Have also heard some good things about the following from that last link:

Akita Inu's.

Bernese Mountain Dogs may not be as vigorous as you'd like in the watch dog department though their size and some watch dog inclinations could deter most folks.

The American Alsatian is also not likely to be quite aggressive enough for you.

Anyway---FWIW. Would be interested in what you finally select.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
At agility shows the Belgian Malinois has always caught my eye. If interested in events, they might just be the perfect match:
Agility - Malinois

ALso, if you're interested in a mixed breed of the dogs you've picked, the AKC now allows mixed breed trials, so less need to worry about a purebred.
edit on 3-11-2011 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Boxer.
The best.
A loyal, tough and intelligent dog that will protect your home and children.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join