It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I agree shepherds are great. I really love them. They tend to have bad health problems though. It can get quite expensive and put you through a lot of heartache. I had one that I rescued from being put down due to a hole in his heart. I spent thousands keeping him alive and happy. Then his hips went out. Lived to be six years old. From what I've gathered, if you choose to own a shepherd, expect hip dysplasia. Super common with the breed.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lakesidepark

You didn't say you never owned one you didn't like. There IS a difference.

That's actually a fair point.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have A Great Pyrenees. In fact just got a second .

They get HUGE. Males about 150, Females about 100 .
They are exceptional guard dogs by instinct.
They are mellow during the day., and nocturnal. They are loyal. Great with small kids and animals.
They will give their life to protect you and your property.
They kill coyotes and bears ( you have to have 2 for this)
They are gentle loving souls, but in one second go into protect mode if need to be.

Cons:
Drop coat twice a year.
They Bark
THey BARK BARK BARK some more.
They Dig.
They are HUGE.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Anatolian Shepherd Dog - great dogs, labs are great too. Golden Retrievers are fabulous

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

They kill coyotes and bears ( you have to have 2 for this)

Only problem is all that hair. My allergies would kill me. I think they may also be TOO big.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I see you already have an opinion on these but:

German Shepherd FTW.
Or Belgium Shepherd...

Best utility dog, bar none.
Powerful, agile, inquisitive, and extremely smart.
If Rotts or Pits were as versatile, they'd be on the force...IMO.

But I recommend raising one from pup, as not to inherit bad habits.
All dogs require some training, in order to have a great pet.

And all dogs are great pets...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
English Springer Spaniels are great hunting dogs, guard dogs, family dogs and yes I am partial. I own two. I have always loved German Shepards for their intelligence and guarding abilities but Springers have the same types of instincts, plus they get you birdies....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Dalmation or greyhound?

Dalmations are too dumb and greyhounds lack the protection quality I'm seeking. Thanks for your post though appreciate the personal experience.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Look up King Shepards.

Mutts that have been brought into the AKC line only recently.

Big Dogs, Family friendly and playful. Cat friendly if raised with them. and protective as well if need be.
I have two friends who have them. Both are great dogs...

But one prefers me over his mom for some reason. It's funny in my opinion, not so much hers. But she never established herself as the Alpha. I guess I did.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think you need a special dog.

Maybe a cross between a Bulldog and a Shih Tzu....
I think it's called a bull-shihtzu.

This breed is very adept at understanding crazy people that post on ATS!

edit on 2-11-2011 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have had 2 rottweillers in my life and I couldn't have asked for a better friend and family protector !! They are intelligent low maintenance and good when raised with children ! The thing I liked the most is their loyalty to one person ! And they love playing in the snow !

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

That cracked me up.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

...let me say that I do intend to adopt a dog rather than purchase one from a breeder.

Whichever breed you choose, be mindful that the "rescue" you ultimately choose may have some issues that are hard to discern until they encounter the situation which triggers the errant behavior. If an aggressive guard dog type is your preference then be extra careful. You want to know before hand how your candidate reacts to children, other peoples pets, and strangers who come to visit. If no serious dysfunction can be detected up front then there are a lot of breeds that will fill your requirements. Anything Germans produced are about the most protective, aggressive and mean looking guard or hunting dogs there are.

grrrrrrr....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thats easy for me. I am hooked on the Dobermann breed and currently own my 5th one. He is 11 years old and the biggest goof ball you would ever see. He's also extremely verbal and protective to me and my property as has every one I've ever owned.

Two things to point out about this breed: They are "Velcro" dogs who always want to be with you, if not leaning on you literally. Mine will go so far as follow me to the bathroom and stand at the door till I come out.
They have short hair but shed alot. You just don't notice it so much as it isn't very long.

Please consider finding a Dobermann Rescue group in your area. You could find a great dog that really needs a home.

Kim

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by darrman

I don't want a ferret though. I want a dog.

you need to feed a BIG dog large amounts of YOUR FOOD-- WTSHTF..

little Working dogs eat less and IMHO are more useful catching food for you to eat..

unless when YOU run our of food,, you plan on EATING you big dog....

just sayin..

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kkane58

Two things to point out about this breed: They are "Velcro" dogs who always want to be with you, if not leaning on you literally. Mine will go so far as follow me to the bathroom and stand at the door till I come out. They have short hair but shed alot. You just don't notice it so much as it isn't very long. Please consider finding a Dobermann Rescue group in your area. You could find a great dog that really needs a home.

The shedding I can deal with if it isn't long hair. It's not the hair I'm allergic to (or dander or whatever it is) it's the hairy dust balls that get me. As for the Velcro personality that's one of the reasons I like them so much. All the anecdotal evidence I've seen seems to say this. I actually did find a Dobie rescue here. Thanks for the reply!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Go to youtube and search for Dog vs Bull.
That`s the protection dog no.1 easy.. ;D

Don`t know how to embed :p sry!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 211287 by Be9al because: didn`t think at all :p

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
A Mutt! get a mutt!
German Shepards mixed with an Elk Hound are really great. Mutts are healthier than purebred dogs; and they have the best traits of both of their parents.
Mutts!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Be9al

Gross; Bullfighting is disgusting. It's great to see the good doggy help the man; but he shouldn't be messing with a bull to begin with.
Boo to that video.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Be9al

Good video. Always impresses me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join