It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I would recommend going with a Bull Terrier, mine is almost 3 years old now and I have never had such an amazing dog. They are smaller dogs (Medium breed, about 60 lbs) but have the energy and intelligence/speed/power to protect you under any circumstances, the amazing thing about Bull Terrier breeds is the loyalty they have to their owner. If you check on youtube and type in "Bull Terrier vs. Bull" you can see what I mean..there is NOTHING that can prevent them from protecting their masters with everything they got. On the other side, although they are aggressive when needed, when there is no threat I have never had a more gentle and loving dog, they are amazing with young children/large groups of people etc.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Question for you...

You said that you had a pit and it was the sweetest of them all.
Why are you opposed to owning one now?

I own one currently and hav owned several others.
You are absolutely right, they are very sweet natured dogs and are great family companions.
It sounds like you have an energetic lifestyle which would be very ideal for that breed.
It's a shame that a few bad apples gave the breed such a bad wrap because they are great animals.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Jack russel. It'll catch rabbits, rats, birds etc, dig down in rabbit holes, help you trap them. Goes after anything that moves if you let it. Strong enough to pull you along on a skateboard at a good speed and small enough to be easy to feed. It'll protect you if attacked/threatened and it is highly intelligent. Very muscly dogs for their size if you exercise them well.

Moulting on the short/long hair cross jacks didn't seem to be as bad as the short haired jacks funnily enough. Less but longer hair I guess?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I want a dog that I can do various things with. I would like to try a few things after basic obedience including Flyball, Agility etc. I

I feel I need to clarify that I don't want a lab, a border collie or anything not geared more towards a protection breed. If I wanted just a plain old dog I'd already have a pound mutt. I want a breed that's 'sharp' and more geared towards guarding/protection work.!
edit on 2-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

First I happy to hear that you plan to adopt, you can look around at all the shelters. You can go online to the rescue websites in your area for a specific breed!!

Next, my opinion on experience:
I own German Shepherds, one is a sable black and white, the other a darker red and black. They are both loyal, friendly, GREAT with the kids, BARKS and Growls at every *intruder* entering the property!

My Akeyma (passed away now) loved to chase jack rabbits, climb ladders and play fetch. Sirius is the guardian mostly. Loves to sit by my side and is a lover.

To you they may be ugly, you shouldn't let that matter......You have to be dominant, most people who get shepherds have not properly established hierarchy. That's where the problems come from. Get a female!

IF they are socialized with other dogs well, you should not have any problems. Yes they shed, most dogs do....Just invest in a nice vacuum and not worry. Make sure to get an INDOOR BED!!!! They can shed there all they want to!

My only complaints about the breed is that when they get older hip dysplasia may set in, but that is common with large breeds.

Lastly: If you go to a pound or shelter, let your and the potential companions spirit guide you!!!! You may find a dog you think is not (insert whatever here) enough but something pulls you towards her.....Follow your heart
Also, females are smarter out of the male and female dogs, just so ya know, they are also easier to house train...

Recently I adopted a pup, she is a lab mixed with something, I dont know what, but she is already making out to be a great watch and guard dog at 16 weeks old!! I don't know what the other mix is, but I like it. And oh is she agile... She is already climbing ladders and sliding down the slide with the kids

Odds are you will get a mutt anyway, and they are usually hardier with less genetic diseases....

Choices choices huh? Follow your intuition and spend time with your options.

A good dog is a TRAINED one! So whatever your choice, dog training is a must!

GOOD LUCK! I cant wait to hear what you decide...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
OP, you have good taste in dogs, all your choices are wonderful companions if you are a strong Alpha. As I looked over your choices I said "These are -mans-man dogs". So I might suggest going slightly outside your normal choices and think about...

Bernese mountain dog: Large, hard working, friendly, family dog

Keeshond: Medium size, eager to please, great with kids and other animals (a watch dog that barks, they want to tell you stuff is going on outside- Look Alpha, someone is in their own yard doing stuff!)

Honestly there are so many choices out there it boggles the mind.

good luck!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Heres one that you might not of thought of.

A Soft Coated Wheatan Terrier

One of teh biggest of the terrier breeds, Terrier personality and will go to ground, make great ratters. Can be used for guarding, they are fiercly loyal to their owners but great with kids. They dont shed fur either. They are very playfull but stil maintian that terrier instinct.

Originally bred as an allround farm dog in ireland, and used for guarding, herding, fighting (which is wrong), ratting and retrieving

They might look soft and have soft in their name but they are 100% dog underneath all that fur. Take a look and give it some consideration

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I say Black German Shepherd!
These dogs are just beautiful... They look like wolves so they're intimidating right enough, with all the pros of this race

Although I agree on the fact that German Shepherd dogs easily present health issues. You have to be very careful in choosing the right dog breeder..

IMAGES

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Long time lurker....finally registered just to post this!

Have you ever heard of the Presa Canario? It seems to be just what you're looking for. My neighbor has one and it's the most intimidating dog I've ever seen. At the same time, it's not shown any aggression to other dogs or people. They have a 1 yr old daughter and he is so gentle around her. I was walking my 6 month old puppy when we came across this Presa off leash (first time I had seen it). He looked so menacing, I thought my pup might be in trouble. Next thing I know, he walks over and rolls on his back to play with my puppy. Anyway...here's some more info...it sounds scary in the breed description but clearly they can be very gentle and friendly if raised properly.
www.dogbreedinfo.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lch625

I mentioned the Presa on page 7. That breed will be my next dog.

I also second the Dogo Argentino. I've owned 2 and they are wonderful dogs. They are very protective and very loving. The 2 I owned were both over 100 pounds and were lap dogs. It's also true what they say about the breed being insensitive to pain. I know this because I have a brother that is a total deusche and I'll leave it at that.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Domo1

I see you already have an opinion on these but:

German Shepherd FTW.
Or Belgium Shepherd...

Best utility dog, bar none.
Powerful, agile, inquisitive, and extremely smart.
If Rotts or Pits were as versatile, they'd be on the force...IMO.

But I recommend raising one from pup, as not to inherit bad habits.
All dogs require some training, in order to have a great pet.

And all dogs are great pets...

Beg to differ on the pit bull dig..

Let me introduce to Sergeant Stubby - en.wikipedia.org... - most decorated dog ever in the military.

Nuff said.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

I'm in Western Washington so I can get away with pretty much any breed. I don't leave my dogs outside, but will have a very large backyard.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

I actually still haven't decided. One thing this thread has got me convinced of is to find a mutt. I also am thinking about reconsidering a it bull because I love them and a boxer after all the great reviews. I never considered a boxer and am off to read more about them. Never met one actually but the goofiness matches me pretty well.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sidarius

Aren't all the terrier's incredibly hyper?

My impression from my friends' terriers was that the friends could hardly relax for being constantly pestered by their terriers. Maybe they just hadn't trained them well. But my impression was that it was in the dogs' genetics.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

IIRC some boxer breeds tend to have chronic sinus/nasal problems.

Having such problems, historically, over my 65 years . . . having a dog with the same problems would drive me to distractions. LOL.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by Sidarius

Aren't all the terrier's incredibly hyper?

My impression from my friends' terriers was that the friends could hardly relax for being constantly pestered by their terriers. Maybe they just hadn't trained them well. But my impression was that it was in the dogs' genetics.

yes.

our west highland white terrier is a pest. although age has mellowed him a bit, he's still a pest, and a demanding pest to boot. but he's just got so much personality and will, that it's hard not to go along with his wishes. i think he runs our house. lol well no,i take that back. i think he thinks he runs our house. lol

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Absolutely right on that, My Bully (terrier) has more energy than he knows what to do with sometimes, but that is where training and exercise come in. Right now i live in an apartment so i can't take him out to play as much as i would like sometimes, and he shows it by running 100 mph in a circle, doing backflips, etc. haha, BUT on the days i walk him for a bit on the weekends or when he gets to play with people he is perfectly calm and couldn't be happier. It is all about the trainer, but yea they are not a dog for the lazy.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Bull terrier or Doberman

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sidarius
reply to post by BO XIAN

Absolutely right on that, My Bully (terrier) has more energy than he knows what to do with sometimes, but that is where training and exercise come in. Right now i live in an apartment so i can't take him out to play as much as i would like sometimes, and he shows it by running 100 mph in a circle, doing backflips, etc. haha, BUT on the days i walk him for a bit on the weekends or when he gets to play with people he is perfectly calm and couldn't be happier. It is all about the trainer, but yea they are not a dog for the lazy.

For sure on that - my Ellie does twirls, bounces, and generally expresses her ADD when I first get home. However, once she cools out a bit, we leash up and have fun. She sits, lays down (not 100% yet but close.) and returns on command. Hwoever, as part of being a responsible pit bull owner, we never work off-leash unless we are alone in a confined space.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by eeks4

I actually still haven't decided. One thing this thread has got me convinced of is to find a mutt. I also am thinking about reconsidering a it bull because I love them and a boxer after all the great reviews. I never considered a boxer and am off to read more about them. Never met one actually but the goofiness matches me pretty well.

Do it!...Check more out on the breed!

My boxer is an astounding dog in so many ways......and he has never suffered with nasal problems

It takes minutes to teach him a new word, his list is very extensive.....on a par with border collies and retrievers for intelligence if not more so

If you walk through my garden gate you would think my 30kg boxer is a 55kg killer by his bark....he has a great bark and howl as he has a big chest and loves to show it off.........but if you met him you would never think it was the same dog that was barking

anyway, he will give you as much love and affection as you want from him as long as you give it back....boxers can get depressed easy if you neglect their needs too......in 8 years mine has never let me down and I not him

Oh yer, the goofiness is down to character.......these dogs are super playful and like to be daft sometimes, they can be the clowns or comedians of the dog world

edit on 10-11-2011 by zerozero00 because: to add a bit more

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Could not agree more. The Australian Cattle dog is highly intelligent, fiercely loyal and protective, loving and sweet. They were bred in Australia a mix of dingo and canine, they have a jaw like a steel trap. Some dogs play with sticks, ours would drag 6-12 foot sections of downed trees after storms for fun. They were bred to withstand the heat of the outback , but weirdly love snow and cold too (at least mine did) They can run and run and run some more. Ours was a rescue and you can NOT compare the loyalty of a rescued heeler with any other dog, they know and will be loyal unto death to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join