It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Choose A Dog Breed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Before I start let me say that I do intend to adopt a dog rather than purchase one from a breeder. Always have, and most likely always will. I am not looking for a dog to make me look like a tough guy (or douchebag depending on your view) but rather a companion I can trust to protect me and my home. I grew up with dogs, always took them through obedience school and have trained some wonderful companions. I have owned a few mutts and one pitbull with varying degrees of training difficulty/aggressiveness (pitbull being the sweetest and calmest in EVERY situation).

I want a dog that I can do various things with. I would like to try a few things after basic obedience including Flyball, Agility etc. I own my own home with a large fenced backyard and my insurance does not have a breed restriction (and I have a 5 million dollar umbrella policy).

The following is a list of breeds I am interested in with my own opinions. I want yours too!

1.) Doberman.

Pros: Highly intelligent, extremely loyal, very protective, aloof around strangers, clingy (pro for me), intimidating, goofy personality, athletic

Cons: Health issues, intimidating, somewhat dog aggressive (I like the dog park)

2.) Belgian Malinois.

Pros: Highly intelligent, easy size to handle, extremely loyal, protective, clingy, helped catch Bin Laden, athletic

Cons: Sheds ALOT, dog aggression, a little too high strung, not as powerful as other breeds, does not look intimidating, always 'on'

3.) Rottweiller.

Pros: Big, good with family and children, intimidating, strong, intimidating (needs repeating)

Cons: Not as intelligent, have bad history with the breed, big to the point of pain in the butt

4.) German Shepard.

Pros: Highly intelligent, loyal, protective, athletic

Cons: Shedding, dog aggression, human aggression, I've never met one I liked, not as intimidating as a Doberman or Rottweiller, health issues, I think most are ugly

The reason I left out pitbulls is that I don't think of them as being good guard dogs. Every one I've known has been so friendly they would welcome an intruder with wagging tail. My experience anyway.

I'm leaning towards a Doberman. From what I've read and the ones I've known they are incredibly protective and aware of their surroundings. I've heard numerous stories about Dobermans that check every room in the house when they get home from a walk. They tend to never leave the owners side. The personality is such that when sitting on the couch they can actually relax (unlike the Malinois) and I actually think they are gorgeous dogs (unlike the Shepard no offense I know tons of people love them). I also enjoy their goofball nature (only have seen this when the breed is at home with trusted people). The only thing really keeping me from making the decision is the health issues, and that it is hard to find one at a shelter. The breed has also been a little watered down in the US compared to Europe from my research.

What do you guys think? Have I left any out? Have you had different experiences?

I feel I need to clarify that I don't want a lab, a border collie or anything not geared more towards a protection breed. If I wanted just a plain old dog I'd already have a pound mutt. I want a breed that's 'sharp' and more geared towards guarding/protection work. I do appreciate all the replies though!
edit on 2-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

4.) German Shepard. Pros: Highly intelligent, loyal, protective, athletic Cons: Shedding, dog aggression, human aggression, I've never met one I liked, not as intimidating as a Doberman or Rottweiller, health issues, I think most are ugly

German shephards are the best dogs you could ever have. Trust me on this, DO IT NOA

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I chose Rhodesian Ridgebacks, very, very hardy breed. Laid back, yet can also guard. Good with kids too.

My .02

...oh, and hardly shed

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Agree, if you can handle the shedding I would prefer A shepard over the Ridgeback...wife hates hair though

2nd line

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Adopt a homeless dog from your neerest pound if you are a dog lover. Dogs bread for pet shops very often come from poor surroundings and in poor health.

Go to your local pound, whichever dog you fall in love with there is the right breed for you.

If you are a true dog lover, do the right thhing and support homless dogs, not ruthless breeders.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have a husky-rat terrier mix. He's mild-tempered, protective, listens very well, and he is the goofiest dog I've had. I take him on hikes and he doesn't stray far from me and doesn't bark at the wildlife.
Out of your choices I'd go with the German Shepard. My uncle has an all black pure-bred that is pushing 14 years.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Boxer
Extremely intelligent, tough, territorial, fearless, loyal, dependable, low maintenance, easy to train, great with kids, and full of personality and energy. Best dog I ever had.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

As a companion , Siberian Huskies are great, I own male and female, female is very protective. Highly intelligent dogs. But if you do not like hair, then it is not for you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Sounds to me, you’d do well with an Australian Kelpie, although there not a big dog.
Check out some you tube vids or do a web search, I think you’d love this breed.

Here in Australia you can pretty much get them for free. dont know about anywhere els though.
edit on 2/11/11 by Whateva69 because: added content

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Before I start let me say that I do intend to adopt a dog rather than purchase one from a breeder.

Did you really not read the first sentence in my OP?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by paearmor

I actually was considering a Rhodesian and can't remember why I took it off the list. It's hard to argue with a dog that was used to hunt LIONS.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A Lab is the best dog I ever had. They love doing everything and are the best friends a person could have. They really fit in with a family or even a single person. They love to chew when they are pups so they need thier own toys. I had to put mine down about 4 yrs ago and there isn't a day that I don't miss her

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
Boxer
Extremely intelligent, tough, territorial, fearless, loyal, dependable, low maintenance, easy to train, great with kids, and full of personality and energy. Best dog I ever had.

I'll agree 100%

I was given my boxer as a pup by an old neighbour of ours. He had pure bred boxers, and once the puppies came he insted sold them to friends and family insted of selling them to a store.

Easy the best dog I've ever had, and one of my best friends. He is great around children and smaller dogs, and never once has shown agression to someone who hasn't deserved it. (A good friend of mine jumped my back fence and learnt how territorial my dog is the hard way.)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
You want a good hardy MUT, not a specific breed.

Something with a huge genetic history not a narrow band to where anyone can identify it and know it as a 'threat' breed right off the top of their head. You want something that 'a part from the teeth and growl,' makes it hard to figure out as an immediate threat. The other problem with specific breeds is that well, if it's known to be a 'mean breed' your neighbor are going to be edgy about you having it.

A good solid mut, that takes 30 minutes to figure out it's related to 'anything,' other than a 'dog' is an asset. Considering a good dog barks enough to say, "Stay the *hell* outa my yard."

We had a bit of problem with animal control being called on us, about our 'dog.' ( A Catahula Leopard Hound (mostly) & the other 85% pure mut.) They could not figure out what the breed was so they called it wrong, and we were able to beat the ticket/harassment and make the 'animal control' people look like morons in the process.

My mut is darker than this, much darker, and due to his coloring you can not see anything but teeth, at night.

The cool thing with mut variation in colors, is you can can get 60 pounds of furry fury and hide it in plain sight.

Though my dog is a 'spaz puppy' with a bit of ADD if you ask me.

M.

M.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have a " White " German Shepard ( even though he is more of a pale mustard colour lol ) Best dog i have ever had. They are Very Smart , Very Protective & Loyal , Quick Learners, Strong and Agile Dogs.
They Make Great dogs for family pets around kids or as a working/security dog .

If You Train any smart dog in the right way you can train it to be and do whatever you want it to be or do.

With , Love, Respect , Attention, Time and Patience and you will have a dog that you could trust for the rest of your life.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

dachshund,, really.... tough and mean when needed,, and can catch rabbits for you to eat!!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If you can find a German Shepard, Border collie, Lab mix, it doesn't have to be all three but you won't go wrong.

My dog was a mix of all three, going on 14 now and still lively and loyal. I don't see him anymore, but family keeps me updated.

Rotties are shortlived as are Dobies. This gene is usually passed to Mutts as well.

I would say you are on the right track for looking for a rescue pup. But it will be up to you and the pup that selects you.

After that, make sure you establish yourself as the Alpha.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I don't want a ferret though. I want a dog.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I hear you on the pits, mine would lick an intruder to death while they stole everything!
But if you train them to have an attack word, they will. And while an intruder may get in, i have no doubt mine would go for the throat if they tried to hurt me or mines.

I had a female pit as a young teen. My mom started hitting me. This dog loved us both, and growled a low warning.. My mom got the point. She was awesome. And once protected a lady she didnt know, when her boyfriend was beating her up. Sorry. Memory ln. R. I . P. Gypsey.

Ive heard german shepards are great family dogs. Not sure though.

Rotties are great for property protection, and will love you till the end

If you find a chow mix, that might be a good choice. Depending on how hairy it is :p

Had bad experiences with dobies. Our was bottle fed, flew back from germany (us and pup) and she turned. My mom couldnt even feed her without getting bit. I dont judge the whole breed though.

Dalmation or greyhound?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
4.) German Shepard.

Pros: Highly intelligent, loyal, protective, athletic

Cons: Shedding, dog aggression, human aggression, I've never met one I liked, not as intimidating as a Doberman or Rottweiller, health issues, I think most are ugly

You didn't say you never owned one you didn't like. There IS a difference. I can think of many dog breeds that are not liked by most except the owners because they are not likeable to anyone else. For example I've never seen a Doberman that I liked , since most were busy in the act of not liking me. and that trait goes in the plus column for whoever else didn't like me being there.

edit on 2-11-2011 by lakesidepark because: most of those dogs on the list would eat my dogs

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join