It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough Guy Image

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Bullies = lack of intelligence, so they have to make up for it with their menacing demeanor and picking on the little guy helps them fill that intellectual void.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
its hard wired into our brain's to further our geneology.
you've watched wildlife programs, most of the time they're about the male's fighting off weaker male's in order to secure their mating right's with the 'hareem', ensuring their 'strong' gene's are passed on.
it all makes sense when watching wildlife, but we seem to have forgotton that we're just animals with bigger brains.
the same rules apply to us.

surely you've noticed hot girls always seem to end up with the retarded 'tough' guys?

You're right in some instances. As I get older and wiser I notice that the most attractive women don't necessarily go for that, some do but not most. They either want a lot of money or a man with a large "member" or both, a mans self esteem plays a huge part as well but that also coincides with the man having a big PP.
edit on 2-11-2011 by kimish because: add

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ShedAlert

That's true too....it's a balance between the two (intellelect and fitness) ......arrogance for any reason is UGLY.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Well, I don't go for "tough guys" and many of my friends are "hot" and they don't either. When we see that type, we walk the other way. I'm not impressed with bravado at all. I'm not talking about bravery, I admire that. I'm talking about braggarts.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i think they were probably mostly raised by people with tough guy mentalities. the apple doesn't usually fall far from the tree.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by StratosFear

IMO it is regression. So, yes, some of us are going backwards. And those that have regressed are breeding more so that brings only more regression for the future. In essence, it is the primitive man coming out in all of us, and the "primitive men/women" are ;having more children so that only means more regressed children. This is my opinion only from personal life experience from where I live. I can't speak for everywhere else.

People speak of "primitive" man as if they have any indication of what a non-primitive man is....you need contrast to completely understand anything and we have always been primitive.

dressing up in a suit and playing big-shot business man is just "acting" that has gone to primitive man's head...

The "tough guy image" is well...an Image to some...but for others is a consiquence of phisically taking care of yourself...its a consiquence of making sure you can handle your own and protect those you love from other physical threats, its a consiquence of testosterone...an inherent chemical compound found in men to inspire them to be "more than" the other guy so they can do that..."survival thing"...

The luxury of todays modern world shouldn't be taken so far for granted that one completely ignores the notion that being physically fit is beneficial...

there is a reason testosterone exists and its not to "bully" the "small guy' around...its a very effective survival mechanism that ultimately created a safe enough enviornment for people to be disillusioned enough to think its no longer necessary...

if it was primitive and we were to evolve past it, we wouldn't still be secreting testosterone...

non-testosterone "tough guy" adaptations have been societial only (man made) true evolution hasn't addressed it as an issue...just people and their "social beliefes/structures"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

We are talking about people that "puff" their chest out and act like their "crap" don't stink. Business men don't usually puff their chest out and act like they can whoop everybodies ass. That's the type we are talking about. Sorry for the miscommunication on your part.

Testosterone plays a huge part, yes. But when you combine that with high levels of narcissism and low IQ, that is mainly what we are talking about. Testosterone is a major contributor, I could probably write a book on its effects but low IQ has nothing to do with it. Irrational thinking and High test correspond well together but not high Test and low IQ.
edit on 2-11-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
These are the worst kind of people to share a gym, dojo or where ever your place of exercise/sport may be. I've never understood why some people lack the ability to just be humble. As for fighting, there are those that just think its big to brawl and then there are those who respect the arts. I myself love the sweet science of unarmed combat or any sport for that matter, I see it very much as a game of chess.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

in my case, my experiences:

1) the average woman prefers muscles and something rude, trivial, hard in the outlook of men
2) you are feeling better if you train regularily and let your sourrounding take part on it to feed off this positive energy
3) people respect you much more if you have decent muscles, shape, look sportive.
4) its healthy for your immune system to train regularily and push the blood around in your system during training sessions.

based on these experiences its worth being sportive + looking "tough"!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ManMadeWorld

edit on 2-11-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShedAlert
Getting a decent body is just as much effort as gaining intelligence. I equally hate people who strut about who think they are above everyone else due to their intellect, and people who strut about thinking they are above everyone due to their body.

You know... I've been thinking about that lately. I've been on both sides of the fence. I used to be on the path to an MMA career and an accident left me looking at other, more cerebral interests. I'm not disabled or anything but my recovery time was enough to get me into music and other scholarly pursuits.

Before this, I often felt that intellectuals judged me all the time and now I feel that athletic people (with no interests in academics) are judging me. The problem is, until lately, I mistakenly believe it was right to judge people who were dumb and shallow. Now I realize that we are all just talking about different muscles.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
I notice that there are guys(and sometimes gals) that pride themselves on looking and being tough. They try to make there muscles bigger and their chests puffed out. They like to fight and they think that physical man power will help protect them from the world. My question is why do you think that some people are caught in this philosophy of being physically strong and aggressive is the only way to stay safe?

Look forward to hearing your input.

Being physically strong and aggressive is a pretty damn good way of staying safe. Not saying that it is responsible or humane to be an ahole to people because you are bigger physically. I am a 6'1 215 pound former Marine and I avoid violence when all possible, doesn't mean I won't kick a bullies ass if I need to though

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
High IQ means independent. Low IQ means dependent. Bring a big muscle in the woods and it will take 3 minute to understand.
There is few exceptions but big muscles equal less blood in the brain equal less activity so IQ is inevitability lowered. Once again i'm speaking about weigh lifting not being stong or fit, theres a difference. Also, people need to remember the difference between animals and humans is fire. Its the thoery of evolution not the law of evolution, comparing ourselves to a bunch of monkeys is a disgrace.

"Woman wants their man to rip their shirt off by night.
Knitting it back by day." From a women.
edit on 3-11-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Im not sure why people do this? It is the mind that makes the human tough, not the size of ones arms. I think the 80s films are to blame for this attitude in a lot of people.
The clever people in the movies in that era were portrayed as "geeks" and the tough guys was the popular ones.

Anyone growing up at the time watching those movies would asume that they are more likely to be popular and get the girl been one of the big bad tough guys who act stupid. And by acting stupid become stupid in my opion because they are falling for what they see.

Look at how it turned out though. The geeks ended up in the good jobs and the tough guys will end up as a builder if they are not lucky enough to make the grade at a certain sport.

Just my thoughts.
edit on 3-11-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: beacause

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Being in shape is one thing, but I can't stand "macho men"....by that I mean men (and women) who strut around acting like they want to whip anyone's a** that crosses him. The vanity muscle men who are in love with themselves are awful too. I prefer men with mental skills and that stays in shape.....Skinny is fine as long as he's healthy....Those who walk around with that attitude are, I feel, reverting to cave man mentally.....repulsive. Now, nothing wrong with muscles and humility....that's fine..... but boastfulness is horrible. It's not the muscles, it's the agressive attitude that is repulsive.

edit on 11/2/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

As far as that goes it's usually those kind of people who are more insecure than the average joe. Their way of dealing with it lashing out, putting up a "tough guy" barrier so no-one will see how easily they will crack. The image just goes along with that, along with the attitude. The truest person is one who knows themselves and their limits, and is comfortable with that. Too many people are taught that to have this, to have that you have to look good and be an ass in general so everyone knows what you have. Which in the end is BS, usually coz no-one really cares, or as you said are repulsed by the attitude they portray. Sadly some people just don't know any different, it's their only way to deal with life.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I want to temper my first thought in response with the recognition that who or what we call acting the "tough guy" can be relative. I immediately had certain people in mind, but on the other hand, some people might consider me in this group. I am very physical, sportive- I trust my body and it's reflexes when in a situation of immediate danger. I feel best (and most secure) when I am in good shape physically.

I have noticed that some people don't trust or rely on their physical skills and force much and instead find a sense of security in possessing material things. I am the opposite- "things" make me feel wieghed down, limited in movement, and a potential added danger (for ex. I do not like surfing, but love body surfing.... afraid a board can become a projectile and hurt me in a wave). I like physical challenges. Some say that makes me "tough".

On the other hand, I had in mind people I know who are always rude, cruel, and trying to push others around, which I am not. I wondered why they rely upon this and what is in it for them. However this personality forms in experiences, the results are the interesting point-

I noticed that in a group, for example, the person acting like that DOES get a following of others that are drawn to that, see it as powerful and seek to adhere, be accepted by, and join forces with that person!

These followers seem to admire the outspoken rudeness as if it were self confidence (which I do not percieve- I see arrogance, which is a way of compensating for lack of self confidence).

The benefit for the "bully" becomes very clear- their "followers" will group around them and defend them whenever they stir up opposition to themselves. Instead of having to stand alone and face the consequences of their choices of act, they can step back and let the force of numbers deal with it.

edit on 3-11-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
There are 3 kinds of tough guys...

The REAL tough guys. The ones that are the product of their enviroment, the ones that hve to be tough to do the job. They may be the farmer that has big muscles from picking up a couple hundred bales of hay weighing 50 lbs a piece, they may be the cattle farmer/cowboy that rides horses, rides a tractor, has to manhandle a sick or wayward calf. They may be the construction worker handling 4x8 sheets of plywood all by his or her self...and they ain't light. Maybe the mechanic handling engine blocks and transmissions... you get the idea.

The guys and gals that work hard at being healthy and working out. They look tough, might ride bikes, but really just nice folks enjoying what turns them on. Some are tough, some are puupydogs and pussycats.

The other tough guy is the wanna be tough guy... like saying a cowboy hat makes you a cowboy. They work hard in the gym, get the tattoos, and dress the part. Now their are some really nice guys and girls that fall into this group and look tough but have hearts of gold. The others are the butt holes that think that they can whoop the whole world's butt and try to show the world they can.

The biggest thing is intent and attitude... between the big macho guy with muscles, leather, and tattoos... or the midsize guy that is wiry, works hard in construction, nimble, and solid...my money would be on the litttle guy.

Oh, by the way... being a construction worker or builder or farmer vs a computer wizard in an office does not mean we/they are stupid. Actually, I know more than a few skilled laborors and builders that have all the work and money thay can handle...and I know IT guys that are broke and unemployed.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

well ill start with i was 30 stone and dieing
now with the gym and vertical gastric sleeve
and a good diet i have lost 14 stone
and look and feel better but to beat
all that im alive for my kids
i also stopped smoking taking speed(i know but after 16 years it doesnt stop you eating)
and now in my 40th year on this planet
i have never felt fitter or healthier

so with me no ego just a desire for life
to watch my kids grow up(now got tears in my eyes)
good bye

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Difficult one this. I agree with Stealthykat though, it is arrogance that is unattractive.

I am not going to lie, i work out quite regularly and am rather muscular. I actually love going to the gym and the feeling you get when you have really gone at 'it'. From my observations, there are plenty of different people that work out - people (like me) that do it for fitness and because they enjoy it, people that are making effort to lose weight, the list goes on and on. However, in every gym, there are also the selection of individuals (usually male but not exclusively) that simply appear to go in order to pose and basically say "look at me". These are also usually the individuals that look like they take lots of protein shakes, etc. They never assist others in the gym unless it makes them look really good. They are also the ones who look like they enjoy being "tough guys".

I actually have a rule of thumb in gyms - people that look like they work out naturally (muscular but not ridiculously so) are generally helpful and polite. People that look like they hit the vitamins, proteins (and maybe worse) are generally just there to boast

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I meditate...Im a Nerd (to a degree)....i read most of your disturbing topics - ..and i work out...

it is simple...why wouldnt you?bc you are fukkin lazy....if you look fit people will think twice to start messing with you. ....
If you live in a huge city like i do- you do not want to be bothered by "low lifes" late at night....
furthermore it is healthy...and on a side note "chicks dig it"....it is just like that...

occupy your couch?

p.s but i agree those steroid douchebags is something the world doesnt need

edit
.P.S ..it is mind-soul-AND-body.....you cant leave one out...
edit on 3-11-2011 by Acetradamus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join