It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Strike: Massive Support From Teachers and More!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Anyone know what's going on with the strike in Oakland today? How many ppl participated? Any more police corruption, etc? Anyone with answers would help.

Here's some stuff I've found online
CBS News on Strike
I wish I knew how to quote on ATS, but heres an excerpt:
"The staffs at two Oakland elementary schools and a small high school had decided to close their campuses for the day as of Tuesday afternoon, Oakland Education Association Secretary Steve Neat said. At least 182 school district employees, the vast majority classroom teachers, had asked to be replaced with substitutes on Wednesday, Neat said."

Business Insider on Strike
Rumors ripped over Twitter that the strike had shut down the Port of Oakland, the nation's fifth largest port that handled more than 2.3 million containers last year, but those reports appear to be over-blown.
Michael Moore is there, theres also some cool pictures and info, even tweets haha.

Click these links!

Please don't delete this post, mods! There is no info on the strike to be found on this site.
edit on 2-11-2011 by lldd182 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

Here's another site that is keeping up on what they are doing

rt.com...

Some notable parts

16.05 GMT: Many shops closed on Wednesday. Mens Warehouse a US Corporation with sign saying "We are the 99%

16.21 GMT: Grand Lake Cinema closed to support the strike

18.46 GMT: 18% of Oakland teachers called in sick today, instead of usual 1%. That's about 360 teachers joining the protest

19.38 GMT: Oakland police officers to city: "We, too, are the 99%

20.15 GMT: Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Comerica, Chase and Citigroup shut down by Occupy Oakland protesters

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

Big deal

Fire 'em I say!

No good lazy....T&C prevents from going fiurther.

C'mom unions..Bring it on. You are going the way of the Dodo and it is not soon enough.

Bunch of entitlement lackeys in my opinion.
edit on 2-11-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I was about to post this link in your previous thread, but the mods prematurely shut that thread down in favor of a thread that had nothing to do with your topic. Anyhow, here you go:

www.mercurynews.com...

EDIT: another blog with minute by minute updates: sfist.com...

And another: blogs.kqed.org...
edit on 2-11-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Hahaha thanks for catching that, I was like what??

Thanks for contributing!

Show support when the strike comes to your town!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Are you kidding, or just ignorant? People do not get nearly as much freedom or pay, that's what theyre mad about. If you don't realize that, you're either not a part of the lower class or you don't realize how awesome life could be for EVERYONE if we just were fair.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

Glad you got a new thread going on this. I think sharing updates about what's happening is different than arguing over the politics (though of course you'll get some of that here too). I'll re-add the truthout link I added on the thread you got bumped to so they're all together here...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lldd182

Are you kidding, or just ignorant? People do not get nearly as much freedom or pay, that's what theyre mad about. If you don't realize that, you're either not a part of the lower class or you don't realize how awesome life could be for EVERYONE if we just were fair.

Call a WAAAhmbulance. I have no respect for most of todays supposed educators or Union thugs.

I deny ignorance because I see these codled people throwing a temper tantrum and have no sympathy for them.

They are being played by their own leadership who live the life of fat cats at the taxpayers expense.

Unions don't play fair anymore. They have become the monster they once fought against. Look at the big picture and you'll see.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Those teachers should be disciplined. That is one job where you shouldn't be protesting. Those kids need their teachers, and the tax payers are footing the bill for the substitutes.

Also,
at Men's Warehouse. I'm not that fancy but Men's Warehouse seems like the Olive Garden of the clothing industry. Olive Garden *shudder*.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

edit on 2-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

How are they coddled? They are oppressed and that's what they fighting for! And I don't care that you think they're thugs, or ignorant, or you have no patience for them or whatever you said

I don't care if the unions are behind it or whoever, I agree with their message that the lower class is and has been exploited by the richest people in the country. If you don't believe me stop watching Fox News and maybe read a book.

What I got from your comment is that you are prejudiced against poor people because you think they're lazy. Awesome.

Not that I don't want any differing opinions in here, I just want people of all opinions to actually explain themselves rather than namecalling and other logical fallacies... Such as: OWS has support from unions, I don't like unions, therefore I don't like OWS. It's ridiculous! Grow a brain, people, and stop resorting to childlike (or politician-like) behavior to avoid owning up to the fact that your argument is wrong! I wish they devoted an entire year of high school to Logic, our world would be such a better place.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

I make half of what teachers in California make. Heck in my own town, I make a third of what teachers make. But I can make ends meet, still enjoy life, save a little and even invest a little for the future.

If they were at my level of income, I could understand it. But they make a whole lot more than I do. I am what is considered to be high poverty / lower middle class. I'm not complaining. I'm comfortable and always looking to do better.

I have watched unions destroy Cleveland and read about the damages they have done to other cities. I read, think about what I have read and make my decisions.

Are they set in stone? Nope. But until I see unions come up with some common sense solutions that don't screw over the average taxpayer...I'm against them.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Heres a few more updates from the strike

rt.com...

21.42 GMT: Port of Oakland running at half capacity in solidarity with Occupy Oakland General Strike

21.53 GMT: Protesters spray-paint "Strike" on Whole Foods after reports they threatened workers

22.12 GMT: Shattered windows at BofA

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Our reporter Andrew Stelzer says he saw a group of about 150 black-clad protesters among a mainstream contingent of marchers, on their way to the Whole Foods. One or two from this group smashed windows of a Chase bank and another bank. The individual who smashed the window of the second bank was then tackled by someone else in the crowd.

When the group dressed in black reached Whole Foods, they spray-painted windows, and then, apparently, through tables through them.

Andrew Stelzer says there have been skirmishes between the black clad demonstrators and the other protesters. Many people are trying to grab anyone they see committing acts of property destruction, he says.

Several windows have also been smashed at a Bank of America, Stelzer reports.

blogs.kqed.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Anarchy is what they want.

Dont mix up change with outright violence.

OWS.......................Too many chiefs,not enough Indians.

edit on 2-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by lldd182

I make half of what teachers in California make. Heck in my own town, I make a third of what teachers make. But I can make ends meet, still enjoy life, save a little and even invest a little for the future.

If they were at my level of income, I could understand it. But they make a whole lot more than I do. I am what is considered to be high poverty / lower middle class. I'm not complaining. I'm comfortable and always looking to do better.

I have watched unions destroy Cleveland and read about the damages they have done to other cities. I read, think about what I have read and make my decisions.

Are they set in stone? Nope. But until I see unions come up with some common sense solutions that don't screw over the average taxpayer...I'm against them.

Ok, so your jealousy won't allow you to feel sympathy for someone who makes more money than you... Oh, and the cost of living in California is probably at least twice where you live

I am comfortable how I live, but that does not mean I'll just settle and not try to make more. And if (and this is the whole argument here that you continue not to address) the richest people in this country try to make sure that the rest of us spend money as soon as we get it and can never gain any wealth, and even profit from it, then I'm certainly against that.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

I am by no means jealous of them. I pity them is more like it, as they worship the once almighty dollar and want the taxpayer to pay for their lifestyles.

I say I'm comfortable because I spend on my needs and save for my wants. I actually double save before I buy anything because life is so fickle.

You are right, Cali is a bit more expensive than where I live, but not by much when you consider per capita income.

As a matter of fact, the teachers here where I live in Ohio make more than a teacher in Cali. This explains my animosity towards that particular union.

Do the teachers in Cali deserve a pay raise?, quite possibly. But the ones here deserve a pay cut. We are bleeding people due to the lack of jobs and they are still demanding more. The tax base just isn't there.

I favor charter schools. You don't perform, you get fired. If you do perform, you get more freedom as to how you teach.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by lldd182

I am by no means jealous of them. I pity them is more like it, as they worship the once almighty dollar and want the taxpayer to pay for their lifestyles.

I say I'm comfortable because I spend on my needs and save for my wants. I actually double save before I buy anything because life is so fickle.

You are right, Cali is a bit more expensive than where I live, but not by much when you consider per capita income.

As a matter of fact, the teachers here where I live in Ohio make more than a teacher in Cali. This explains my animosity towards that particular union.

Do the teachers in Cali deserve a pay raise?, quite possibly. But the ones here deserve a pay cut. We are bleeding people due to the lack of jobs and they are still demanding more. The tax base just isn't there.

I favor charter schools. You don't perform, you get fired. If you do perform, you get more freedom as to how you teach.

Alright you're making progress. I agree with almost everything you said here, except the first part. They don't want taxes to pay for them, they want a tiny fraction of this country to stop hoarding all of the wealth (illegally in very many cases) and maybe read the constitution and return the rights to the people. And, in fact, all of this could be done, and at the same time the income tax could be abolished! Sound impossible? Look up Ron Paul

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lldd182

I wouldn't say I'm making progress. I just violated my own belief that one should not get emotional on the web. I apoligize.

And while you are right about the inequity of pay, I believe that a person should be paid for the services they provide. Regardless of the unions.

A guy working a union warehouse makes a lot more than a non union guy. The same can be said across the board.

It'll be a dark day when the majority of white collar workers unionize.

Ohio schools are failing, yet the teachers want more and the state provides less support. This is just bad math overall and the students suffer in the long run.

I would love to teach at $10.00 a hour with the perks Ohio teachers have. As long as I could actually teach and not sermonize like many seem to do nowadays.

I will admit that I have become more and more anti-union over the last few years. Heck, I was union myself for the last six. They need to be broken before they will fix themselves.

If the financial influx is not there, they need to lower their wages, until taxes can be reasonable increased to pay them...or move elsewhere. That's just common sense.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Looks like they shut down the port now to

rt.com...

00.17 GMT: RT's Lucy Kafanov: Truly incredible sight as thousands of protesters flood into the port. An army of giant 18 wheelers blocks the road in support

00.50 GMT: Port of Oakland officially closed as protesters block gates

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join