It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Makes People Sick

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There are now some serious health concerns at OWS camps.. Most of the issues have to do with trash removal, lack of sanitation stations (hand washing, showers, even bathrooms). One of the biggest is the amount of open-aired Human waste that sits in the camps .. buckets filled with feces, jugs filled with urine, Human waste on the ground that gets trampled then carried into sleeping quarters.. food waste that has been attracting large numbers of rats and so on.

This article describes the various health risks of "live in protests" and how to curb disease..
www.decodedscience.com...

Each of these diseases can be prevented through the practice of careful hand-washing and good hygiene. Outbreaks among the protesters could also spread beyond the borders of Zuccotti Park, so the health of protesters is a concern to everyone in the region. If you plan to attend the protest, avoid unsanitary conditions, wash your hands frequently, eat only packaged food and drink only bottled water.

Zuccotti Park has cleaned up quite a bit since the outbreaks of disease have become a problem, but living conditions are still considered "dangerous" .. and with cold weather setting in, it's expected to get worse. Around the country the problems are far worse, because they don't have the resources to deal with the problems arising.

At Occupy Portland (second largest in the country after Zuccotti Park) the problems are considered "severe" even after a cleanup. The city had to call in rat exterminators who then told the city due to the large amount of trash, food and Human waste all over the place, there is nothing they can do to get rid of rats. Two diseases spreading at Occupy Portland that could be very deadly is a possible spread of meningitis and tuberculosis.

'Occupy Portland' flier proposes closing camps

PORTLAND - Police said Tuesday reports of violence, drugs and unsanitary conditions and "overwhelming mental health" concerns were growing at the two camps of 'Occupy Portland' downtown

Raw sewage was reported to be running down the sidewalk toward Southwest 3rd Avenue. Parks officials told police "they were aware" of the situation.

The smell is so bad that people walking by the park have been having gag reflexes .. the official "government" of the camp is now passing out face masks because of the smell, and emergency rooms are filling up with sick protesters.

Health concerns growing at Occupy Portland

After 10 protesters were arrested Tuesday morning in Terry Schrunk Plaza for camping on federal property, a Portland police officer cautioned a KOIN Local 6 reporter not to touch anything inside the camp because there was a possible outbreak of staph infection. A Portland police spokesman could not confirm the outbreak when asked about it later Tuesday but said he had heard of a possible outbreak in the downtown camp.

Pretty disgusting .. Personally, I don't really get the "occupy" aspect of the protests.. it serves no purpose. Every other movement that has been successful was able to do so without making a camp in the middle of a park where the wallow in their own feces. As you can see, this is a huge negative image for the protests. My advice, because camping in this filth especially with winter coming, is abandon the camps and do large marches on the weekends or something. You achieve nothing by "camping."

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
news flash political corruption and propaganda kills and also makes people sick ...all these OWS critics and BS posts makes me sick...protests do have an effect in-fact they are behind any human rights laws we have or once had if you look back in history...

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Aside from all that...flu season is gonna be hell on a camp like that.

I'm sure somehow it will be the police officers fault if they all get seriously sick.

link   
Well, actually. I cannot speak for all occupies around the world. Im sure some of them are messy

But not the one here, they clean on a regular basis, and OWS has a sanitation committee, and the place is cleaned for the most part, sure it 'looks' dirty when there are a couple hundred sleeping bags and tarps around, but i dont think they're just living in their own filth.

link   
reply to post by answerisquestion

Protests do have an effect. Yes.

Protests can also be very effective when you're not camped in a giant latrine.

PS. I never said anything about stopping the protests.. in fact, I encourage the protests just do it as marches and so on.. not camping. I'd rather see OWS get more media attention with larger protests than I would see people getting TB, the Flu or worse and getting seriously ill because they camped in such filthy conditions. It's only a matter of time before a protester DIES because of the conditions they live in. Especially older and younger (some camps have children) protesters.
edit on 11/2/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I find a lot of this hard to believe, although this very well maybe true. I was in New York and seen nothing but that was about two weeks ago, things could have gotten a lot worse. Regardless, if this is true or not they all need to go home because the longer this lasts the higher the possibility of riots breaking out. And we all know what that means.
edit on 2-11-2011 by TruStory because: mispelled word

edit on 2-11-2011 by TruStory because: mispelled word

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

My OWS town's camp is very clean and filled with brilliant and courageous people...

We are all living in a latrine of corruption that some hide from seeing or smelling

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TruStory

Just because something "looks" clean, does not make it "clean" .. Fact of the matter is health departments have inspected and found some seriously dangerous conditions at OWS camps. Just living in cold conditions in such close proximity without proper hygene (IE, washing your hands regularly) will increase the risk of spreading disease.

Please don't be ignorant. "I can't see the germs so obviously they aint there!"

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Garbage is garbage and sewer is sewer. The protest is against the garbage and sewage that is in contol of the country. They may be able to hide it wrapped up in taxpayers finest that our money can buy. It not what is on the outside that defiles a man but what is on the inside. These fancy dancy criminals are nothing more than rotting corpses.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by TruStory

Just because something "looks" clean, does not make it "clean" .. Fact of the matter is health departments have inspected and found some seriously dangerous conditions at OWS camps. Just living in cold conditions in such close proximity without proper hygene (IE, washing your hands regularly) will increase the risk of spreading disease.

Please don't be ignorant. "I can't see the germs so obviously they aint there!"

They're outside. Germs are everywhere outside, lol, i dont think cleaning the area will stop germs from being there =P
Send some lysol wipes!
I'll get my gf to, she has about 300 containers of them.

+9 more 
link   
Very simple really.

Their right to freedom of speech and assembly has now infringed on th rights of others to live without disease.

OWS has lost their rights.

Simple, really. They now have no rights to freely assemble, since it has infringed upon others rights.

link   

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The protest sites would be an ideal place for the elites to release a deadly plague.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Nah! Forget the Lysol wipes. We need to get one of those big firefighting aircraft and load it up with a 10,000 gallon mixture of warm water and bleach. One run and SPLASH! instant sanitation.

edit on 2-11-2011 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

link   

so don't go to OWS if your such a germaphobe...

these people are willing to camp out for your freedom and quality of life relentlessly in the cold...

instead of spewing out more crap than in a OWS camp why don't you go down and help clean if you think people are at such risk...

one of the biggest problems with society is opinions without action ...

OWS is action against corruption

link   
I would be very interested in hearing from more people who have been to their local protest lately speaking up about the cleanliness and sanitation????? There have been so many smear campaigns against OWS already, I have a hard time taking any article regarding the whole thing as fact. Anyone?? Anyone with personal experience???

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join