It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Standard Model holds true. (There is just 4 dimensions after all)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Hellhound604
we just have to remember that this isn't the last word on the Standard Model. That depends on the Higgs boson being found (Which the LCH hasn't found yet), and there are a couple of other problems with it.....
Yes the search for the Higgs isn't going that well and if they find it below 130 GeV that may pose some problems for the standard model. It doesn't mean we need to throw it out, but it might need some revision.

I always thought the claim of extra dimensions above 4 to be interesting but I've been waiting to see some experimental proof of them and it hasn't been forthcoming.

I'd have to drink beer during the day as well as at night to speculate without evidence for as long as the 11 dimension folks have (what's it been, 4 decades?), and I'm not really much of a beer drinker so that wouldn't work for me

There is a grid system that sets off the appearance of 12 dimensions at any given time...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist
There is a grid system that sets off the appearance of 12 dimensions at any given time...

en.wikipedia.org...
I searched that link for 12 and twelve and the latter doesn't occur, the former occurs but it doesn't refer to 12 dimensions, so where did you get 12 dimensions from? I found this:

The sponge has a Hausdorff dimension of (log 20) / (log 3) (approximately 2.726833).

Anyway I'm pretty sure I heard some theoretical physicists say 11 dimensions solved a lot of problems they were having with 10 dimensions, so they seemed pretty pleased with 11. I never heard them discuss 12 dimensions, though I guess if 11 was better than 10, could 12 be better than 11? I'm not sure it works that way though. And I'm not a string theorist, nor do I want to be one.
edit on 2-11-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Americanist

en.wikipedia.org...
I searched that link for 12 and twelve and the latter doesn't occur, the former occurs but it doesn't refer to 12 dimensions, so where did you get 12 dimensions from? I found this:

The sponge has a Hausdorff dimension of (log 20) / (log 3) (approximately 2.726833).

Anyway I'm pretty sure I heard some theoretical physicists say 11 dimensions solved a lot of problems they were having with 10 dimensions, so they seemed pretty pleased with 11. I never heard them discuss 12 dimensions, though I guess if 11 was better than 10, could 12 be better than 11? I'm not sure it works that way though. And I'm not a string theorist, nor do I want to be one.
edit on 2-11-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Theoretical physicists seem pleased with between 10 and 26 dimensions. I'd put that range between 12 and 20 depending on the stretch of fractal pattern observed via spin.
edit on 2-11-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
The standard model will change because there are more than four dimensions and that fact is a fact. And it's not just wishful thinking either, i know my realities and they are not governed by what the scientists say or dont say because they maybe clever but they are not wise. Just wait and see, alot of people are going to look very foolish.

It is fact when you prove it. So, prove it.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

How long before a better theory comes along? Scientists should abide by the old maxim "all i know is that i know nothing" because basically that is all they know. Theory after theory wrong, time and time again.....yawn!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join