It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: U.K. preparing for military strike on Iran nuclear facilities

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

I suppose Theres only two different wordings, 'Preparing' 'stepping up'. I wouldn't say there to different. Both read and mean the same in my head, I'm sure the OP apologize's for the confusion its caused you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvo

I suppose Theres only two different wordings, 'Preparing' 'stepping up'. I wouldn't say there to different. Both read and mean the same in my head, I'm sure the OP apologize's for the confusion its caused you.

Errr can't you see the Haretz article headline was purposely reworded to make it seem that the UK was actually preparing for an inminent attack on Iran........that's why Haretz didn't bother just taking the direct wording from the Guardian.

You may think the wording is subtle.......and you might be right.......but the implications are quite different........

The UK is NOT preparing a millitary strike on Iran at all as the Haretz article implies.

The Guardian actually says:

"Britain's armed forces are stepping up their contingency planning for potential military action against Iran amid mounting concern about Tehran's nuclear enrichment programme, the Guardian has learned."

Notice the words "contingency planning" and "potential" military action?

Quite important wording if you want to put the contents of the article into its true context.

edit on 2-11-2011 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I love the way you guys throw the word 'dictator' around.
Did you learn politics from the Teletubbies? Or are you required to post such things acording to the script in front of you?
And as for why 'evil' Iran is in trouble, i think it might be more to do with the Sunni Sudis wanting to wipe out the Shi'ia Farsi, the US and Suadis wanting Iran back on the petrodollar instead of the Indian Rupee (even Germany wouldn't let Iran trade oil in Euros because America said no) - same reason Hussein and Chavez are the 'axis of evil'. And Israel doesn't want any non-US middle eastern superpower and Iran has made the mistake, like Libya, of trying to be independent and help its nation.
China will support Iran. It needs the oil and we just made them vacate Libya. Russia's already building a seaport in Syria for its fleet.
In the evnt of a war, I'd like to publicly state that I'm British so know which side I'm on (as we're all going to have to choose sides) but this all makes me very, very sad. I've known well-educated Iranians and, whilst extremely naive in western terms, they're sweet people.

Just remember that a nation is not a thing - it is a collection of millions of individuals, each with families, dreams, fears and ambitions. They all have their daily lives just like you. To call them evil is as insane as saying we fought the Nazis and not the Germans in WW2. When you see on the news that some nation bombed another's city and only hit militants or a missile facility then I hope you keep it in mind that collateral damage is horrifc. Ask yourselves f you'd like your own children or parents smeared across rubble in a raging inferno and molten shrapnel from some unseen bomb dropped from a plane or fired from a missile by nice 'good' men in suits and ties thousands of miles away.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
The British are not like Americans, they will get to the streets and start smashing things up again if they get dragged into another war because of the US.

This war will be what all civilized nations have to do , this is not something wanted by any of the parties involved except Iran to usher in their Mahdi. Iran's leadership is nagging for this to fore fill their end times prophecy ushering in a world of Islam under Sharia law.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What we are seeing is nothing more than propaganda, that amounts to saber rattling.

If there is going to be a strike against Iran, the reports that come out about such will not come from the United Kingdom, as they will ultimately put censors and blocks on such, only telling the general public what it wants the public to know. The last armed conflict that the UK was involved in, was during the Falkland war, and ultimately there only reports came out once they knew that they were winning and it was successful, beyond that, there was strict censorship and the press was excluded in reporting of such.

All this is doing, is posturing and chest beating, merely just to rattle the country of Iran and nothing more. Until the first shot is fired, and both sides know who ever fires the first shot will be accused of starting this conflict, there is really nothing to do but wait.

Iran is not backing down, rather they are pushing the boundaries of what they can do, seeing at what point and where the proverbial line in the sand is at. They will continue to state that they will attack, or put military ships somewhere and ultimately just try to get a reaction.

To quote the movie, “War Games”: The only winning move is not to play.

And in this case that may be the wisest course of action, which is to do nothing, not to announce intentions and ultimately let them make the first move.

This is a high stakes game of chess, and the pieces are being moved, no one is ready to make that first attack or strike, as the pieces are not in place. In this case Iran is not ready for any conflict at this time frame, as its allies are not ready to back them up, but soon they will be, and ultimately when they make that move, the question should be, not if we want to go into another conflict, but will we be ready for such.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
the UK will do what ever the US wants them to do and the US will do anything Israel wants them to do if ur gonna blame anyone for getting this one started blame the Israelis. why do u think the US is on like 3 sides of iran now because thats where the Israelis want them
not to mention there's a lot of oil in Iran we want and when they have nukes it will be harder to steal

Yeah Iran is surrounded on three fronts by the most potent military machine of all time. Just imagine how it must feel to be an Iranian civilian right now, they must be terrified. Forget the bullish propaganda, their military will be annihilated in no time. If USA attacks they stand a fair chance of being killed Iraqi or Afghan style, if Israel attacks they stand a fairly good chance of being nuked. Poor sods are going the same way as Iraqis and Afghans before them

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Propoganda.

Lots of low level news sources=propoganda. IMO

No doubt an attack on Iran will happen sometime, but right now, I think it is just Gov fed news to help presure Iran.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

I'm not crying any tears for them. They cannot enable their leader on the one hand and then on the other say they're not at fault. When the bombs drop, they'll be on their leaders side. When Moses collected the ten commandments, Aaron was wrong when he made the idol to satisfy the protests of the people. This is similar to what happens in countries. People cannot justify their actions by saying "They made me do it!" People do, in fact, have a choice. But they're weak and choose the easiest answer. We also have to keep in mind that most of those people in Iran will support Ahmadinejad until death. You cannot pin the blame on the leaders, no matter how sick they're. We know, for example, that Islam is not a religion of peace just by examining its scripture. They're told to murder and lie and do whatever it takes to serve Allah. Not wholesome, at all. We also know from polls that muslims support terrorism against the US in disproportionate numbers. It's very unsettling. Additionally, anti-semitism is very common in those countries.
edit on 2-11-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Israeli PM warns about danger of nuclear Iran:
www.cbsnews.com ...

Do the math. Iran kicked out everyone. Is doing enrichment. Lots of oil. Sanctions won't stop them. They're as hardheaded as ever and their rhetoric is getting more poisonous.

It's imminent. Within 5 years, at most. Could be next month.

Really? Has this hardheaded regime started rounding up the 25,000 strong jewish population living in Iran yet?
Or are we all supposed to panic AFTER that happens?

edit on 2-11-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just read that IDF chief Ehud Barak in London this week for talks, also British military chief Sir David Richards visited Israel this week. If that's true then......................................................

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A little speculation in the form of an analogy...

Let's say I have a neighbor who knows I am an experienced deer hunter and that I own a several deer rifles and bows.

That neighbor is really angry that he lost a court battle in which he was sure he had legal rights to my backyard. He has been telling other neighbors that he doesn't care what the courts say, that he has been wronged and will never tolerate my existence as long as I have the backyard he claims is his.

In his harshest rantings, my neighbor has even said that he might just set my house on fire to burn me out, but so far all he has done is thrown bricks at me when I go outside.

One night, I see him in his own backyard, and he is filling glass bottles with gasoline, and stuffing rags in them-- obviously making Molotov Cocktails. I don't mind him owning gasoline-- he has a mower. I don't mind him owning wine bottle or rags. But when I see him putting them together in a way that matches his threats of burning me out-- I take my deer rifle out and load it. I even hope he is watching as I do some target practice.

Not only do I want that neighbor to see me with my deer rifle in my hands-- I want him to see my friends driving up in their cars and getting out with their deer rifles. I'm betting my neighbor might decided that making Molotov Cocktails is not something he wants to be doing.

edit on 2-11-2011 by Frira because: typo

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

yes I agree, how dare these Iranians invade......................
I mean, how dare they be at war with.......................
No what I mean is how dare they assasinate nuclear scientists in...........Hang on, Ill get it.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

i thought they were already doing that kids conscription program after the riots a few months ago didnt the pm say all kids from like 16? and up were gonna be getting some kind of selective service either military or civilian?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

If funding anti-israel groups that commit terrorism against Israel and other US-allies abroad and participating directly in wars against Israel (IRGC) and smuggling arms to insurgents in iraq and various other proxy activities in the world (some more proxy than others) while admitting bluntly on national TV that Israel is a fake regime and that the US and Israel will not exist in the future are not reasons to worry about iraq having access to nuclear weapons then what are?

You've been asleep for a while, sir.

I don't care what the UN did in 1948, these actions are WRONG. If Iran thinks that Israel is illegitimate then it needs to take this issue to the UN and STOP being an enemy.

They're probably already too late. They had a choice. They chose wrong.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Now I acknowledge you are very much against any move like the one mentioned in the OP, however...

In the evnt of a war, I'd like to publicly state that I'm British so know which side I'm on (as we're all going to have to choose sides) but this all makes me very, very sad.

So even if this war is entirely illegal and immoral, you'd support it because of nationalistic pride? First of all, supporting your country and supporting your government's foreign policies are two entirely different things. On top of that, nationality shouldn't pre-determine your stance towards an ethical issue.

It's wrong to attack an individual, group or country without valid justification for doing so (i.e. self-defence, and pretty much only that is excusable), therefore - don't pick that side.

I've known well-educated Iranians and, whilst extremely naive in western terms, they're sweet people.

You discuss the nature of the state, but then you go and label Iranians (or 'them') as this or that. They're humans - some are smart, some are dumb, some believe in God, some don't, etc.

Who are you to say they're generally naive? Oh and naive 'in Western terms', good one.

You're the one who said you'd support a war just because your country's involved.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's not even our fight, if America or Israel want to take on Iran that is their problem and nothing to do with us. Even then I doubt our military would be any use, the US military is far more advanced and far better equipped for strategic strikes.
edit on 2-11-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

We know, for example, that Islam is not a religion of peace just by examining its scripture.

And Christianity is? Ever seen the statistics for Christian inflicted death toll throughout the centuries?
The biggest joke ever sprung on the world was monotheism. Whoever or whatever introduced that little tinker knew how to set humanity on a permanent war against its self.
I just hope the psychopath never returns.

One of my favourite truisms is thus:

Q - What would your response be if you heard of the imminent return of God and His Heavenly host of angels?
A - A preemptive nuclear strike.

The Bible makes it pretty damned clear what that happy little alien sociopath is planning on doing next time he visits us.... We better hope that the Bible is fiction.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
People, the best way to prevent those men in black from putting civilians into the same suicidal basket as their WALLET, you know what it is .... Its is to protest hard. Go protest.
Say NO to war. Because if it goes global, we all now that nobody will survive.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Your analogy fits very well, except that the neighbor has broken your windows and fence.

And shot your pets and tries to secretly poison your food.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka

We know, for example, that Islam is not a religion of peace just by examining its scripture.

And Christianity is? Ever seen the statistics for Christian inflicted death toll throughout the centuries?
The biggest joke ever sprung on the world was monotheism. Whoever or whatever introduced that little tinker knew how to set humanity on a permanent war against its self.
I just hope the psychopath never returns.

One of my favourite truisms is thus:

Q - What would your response be if you heard of the imminent return of God and His Heavenly host of angels?
A - A preemptive nuclear strike.

The Bible makes it pretty damned clear what that happy little alien sociopath is planning on doing next time he visits us.... We better hope that the Bible is fiction.

Obviously you don't like religion, but took the thread that way. I was planning a long dissertation of an answer....but instead I'll just say this....while there have been attrocities by some who call themselves Christians (same as Islam)...Jesus Christ said to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"......Muhommad said, "Kill the Jews and Christians where ever you find them". Maybe you don't see the difference?????? I don't know any Christians that upon the return of the Lord think they should launch a nuclear attack....I know Iran's president thinks by launching a nuclear attack it will usher in his Mahdi.....again.....seeing a difference here?????

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join