It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New England October Snow Storm Still Claiming Victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I live in New Hampshire and I've never seen anything like this in October. They are saying we shattered records dating back to the civil war. I got 30 inches of snow in my yard in about 12 hours. My Halloween was cancelled and rescheduled for this Friday, WTH! I'm almost 40 and this is the 1st time Halloween trick or treating wasn't on October 31st.

The power outages are still widespread here, I happen to have power because I live near a fire station, but half of my town is still out from early Sunday morning, latest estimates say it could be as long as Monday before power is restored.

2 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to heat their small mobile home. I was about to attempt the same tactic to heat up my house on Monday after a day and a half without power. As I was going to grab the propane tank for a temporary blast of heat, the power came back on! Talk about the Force being with someone.
2 Die In Palmer, MA from CO Poisoning

PALMER, Mass. -- Two people died on Tuesday night, killed by a Carbon monoxide leak.

They call Carbon monoxide the “silent killer.” You can’t see it, you can’t smell it, and you can’t taste it in the air. It proved deadly for two people in Palmer on Tuesday who were trying to keep warm after losing power after the snowstorm on Saturday. Read more: www1.whdh.com...

8 deaths blamed on October snowstorm in Pennsylvania
www.pennlive.com...

Rare October snowstorm now blamed for at least 20 deaths

WAYLAND, Mass. (AP) - The rare October snowstorm that wreaked havoc on many Halloween plans in the Northeast is being blamed for at least 20 deaths, including one in Canada.

www.wkyt.com...

The response seems pretty slow. I drove under a downed power line about 2 miles away and it stayed that way for at least 2 days, they blocked off the trees on the road with cones though.

Like many others who suffered sleeping in a 45 degree house, I finally found a small generator, and of course the power was restored right before it was delivered.
I figured I'd help others and put it up on Craigslist for cheap. Some guy who lives 100 miles away ended up driving here to get it at 10 o'clock at night. He even gave me 10 bucks more for it.

That storm was surreal, so many leaves on the trees covered in snow.
I heard there were about 1600 downed trees on power lines incidents, and each one can take up to 4 hours to clear.

We just recently got approved for federal aid for declaration of emergency, a little too late for some people.
edit on 2-11-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It surely was a freaky weather system. The day before y'all got slammed with snow, out here in west Texas it was snowing too. Keep in mind that, two days before, it was 92 degrees out here.

Unfortunately, that vicious arctic low that gave us snow combined the the remnants of Hurricane Rina and created the monster snow storm you folks had to suffer through. I hope things get back to normal for you soon!

join