It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY DEC starting hydro fracking in NEW YORK STATE !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
NY state had a town hall to ban hydrofracking, but it has not been passed into law
BTW: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)

NY DEC wants to hydro frac in NY STATE

Here is the proposal by the DEC, there is a PDF available on the site
NY DEC

You can submit a comment directly to the DEC here about this subject
Submit comment to DEC

The public hearing is until december 12 2011
After that it will be too late

Here is a citizens campaign against hydrofracking
Citizens against hydro fracking

The only real argument I can find for, is that it would create jobs.

Honestly though, these jobs would come at a high cost. Everywhere that has had hydro fracking has had water issues, one of which is that the water lights on fire.

Lobbyist have faught hard for hydro fracking. Just look up the "Halliburton Loophole" NY TIMES

Is hydro facking even that bad...?
Read this

Okay so,I am against hydro fracking. The jobs are not worth the cost.
Hydro fracking is already in 32 states and in 2 provinces in canada. I can't even imagine the damage it is doing across the world.

edit on 2-11-2011 by KingAtlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What the frack is hydro fracking? So I found the answer:

Hydro-Fracking, sometimes called hydrofracturing, is a well development process that increases the flow of water from a bedrock well by increasing the size and extent of the bedrock fractures that bring water into the well. The procedure involves subjecting the bedrock formation to water pressure sufficiently high enough to either extend existing bedrock fractures or create new fractures. Hydro Fracking is a more COST EFFECTIVE alternative than drilling deeper. Water is injected into a low-yield water well at a high pressure and volume opening up and cleaning out the existing fractures found in the rock.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas

NY state had a town hall to ban hydrofracking...

Not sure if the townhall meeting has any significance on whether or not New York state permits drilling leases. As far as I know drilling permits are issued by state agencies, not townhall meetings.

The only real argument I can find for, is that it would create jobs.

And natural gas. Natural gas which can be used in natural gas power plants, industrial boilers and residential heating systems.

Honestly though, these jobs would come at a high cost. Everywhere that has had hydro fracking has had water issues, one of which is that the water lights on fire.

Simply not true. There have been water issues in Texas but they have arisen due to a massive drought which won't end anytime soon, not because of hydro fracking.

Water does not light on fire because of hydro fracking. When a well is fracked it is first "stabbed" - meaning that it is cased with metallic pipes. The pipes purpose is to keep the pressure concentrated at the end of the well - in the horizontal section - at a maximum. That way the remainder of the well is not fracked.

Lobbyist have faught hard for hydro fracking. Just look up the "Halliburton Loophole" NY TIMES

As have lobbyst fought hard against hydro fracking.

Is hydro facking even that bad...?
Read this

Okay so,I am against hydro fracking. The jobs are not worth the cost.
Hydro fracking is already in 32 states and in 2 provinces in canada. I can't even imagine the damage it is doing across the world.

Worth what cost? There have been no major or even minor damages of water sheds, reservoirs or aquifers due to hydro fracking. Hydro fracking is a technique of fracturing rock, not immersing vast quantities of tainted water into wells, aquifers or reservoirs.

The fracturing of rocks 3,000-7,000 feet below ground surface is not going to have an affect on reservoir rock 50-250 feet below ground surface.

The bigger issue is waste water management. It is an issue that is hardly brought up because hydro fracking has such a scary name and has a negative connotations attached to it. After a well has been fracked there is as much as 2 million gallons of well water that needs to be disposed. Problem in the northeast is that the waste water plants do not have the capacity to dispose of the water.

Instead water is disposed of in unoffical waste areas - which could be creeks, rivers and ponds where no one supsects waste water is being dumped. Once the water is released into these areas the damage is done, and efforts to mitigate the damage are time consuming and costly.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Don`t forget quakes from fracking.

Just say "NO" to fracking.

Unless you really want to experience what we have here in Arkansas, and I wouldn`t wish it on my worst enemy.

This year has been an eye opening experience here .... I hope NY says no to fracking. Way too much risk in it.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by neogeo

How can you say it isn't true that water well are affected by fracking. I cannot believe that.

There is a miriad of examples of this. Wells around these areas were perfectly fine, before the hydro fracking process, and then suddenly they are flammable.

To deny this is ignorant, and personally offensive.

duke university

watershed sentinal

smart planet

eriewire

Maybe you are just misinformed....

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
reply to post by neogeo

How can you say it isn't true that water well are affected by fracking. I cannot believe that.

There is a miriad of examples of this. Wells around these areas were perfectly fine, before the hydro fracking process, and then suddenly they are flammable.

To deny this is ignorant, and personally offensive.

duke university

watershed sentinal

smart planet

eriewire

Maybe you are just misinformed....

From the first link you posted:

They found no evidence of contamination from chemical-laden fracking fluids, which are injected into gas wells to help break up shale deposits, or from “produced water,” wastewater that is extracted back out of the wells after the shale has been fractured.

The study appears this week in the online Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It is the first peer-reviewed study to measure well-water contamination from shale-gas drilling and hydrofracking.

So the first study of its kind published in May of this year shows no direct link to hydraulic fracking. That's not a miriad of examples, it is one study. The whole of the Northeast has also been a historic producer of coal and oil long before hydro fracking ever took place. There also exist natural oil seeps, methane seeps and mines in the area which can possible lead to methane contamination of groundwater.

en.wikipedia.org...

Further more, none of the posted links claim that wells were perfectly fine before hydro fracking.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neogeo

Just curious neo geo, do you work for a fracking company? Or a public relations firm? Seems like you are awfully confident in this process.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

I think it's less about the chemicals and more about the change in environment that hyrofracking brings out. sounds to me that these guys are drilling 5 - 8,000 ft underground which sounds like there'd end up being a huge crack in the crust, im sure the occasional one here or there is ok, but over time it would(if not destablize the crust in some way)at least cause a slight change in position of the ground up above which may or may not be bad.

but yes......hydro fracking bad

(keeping in mind the environmental effects that i have stated are entirely speculative but either way it doesn't sound good)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I very much hope New York doesn't allow for fracking, but won't be surprised when they do.

I spent a lot of time studying this issue and I'm actually in the process of trying to get a book published that is a fictionalized account of real stories I've heard and seen related to fracking. People do, have, and are getting sick.

Released information shows at least four different cancerous substances are included in frack fluid. I'm not a chemist, but the research is easy enough to find.

The problem isn't with the well, per se, but rather with the disposal of waste materials and the fact work is done sloppy. You have high school kids running around the hills, huge retaining pools full of dirty water, and companies looking for anywhere and everywhere to dump whatever they can't recycle. On top of that, you have hazardous emissions.

If it comes to your area, the best advice I can give is make sure any stations are at least a half mile from where you breathe, live and eat. And watch Gasland if you want to get quickly up to speed.

Here in Pennsylvania, our state government is basically stripping local municipalities of the right to refuse this in the name of improved state safety measures. Considering millions went into the coffers of our governor's campain from the companies, I'm beyond dubious about what is happening.

But it's a lot of money, for the owners and the workers.

top topics

join