It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Media: Deriliction of Duty: ongoing thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It's become inescapable - unless we have major overhauls in the current for profit news reporting structure, we're doomed as a "free" society. As it is now, we're merely targets to which unending volleys of advertising are shot.
We're looking at a critical election, yet the average or passive consumer of the news gets nothing but topographical Convention coverage and "Swift Boat Vets for Truth" manufactured controversy.

Look what they neglect to cover:

UPI: Veteran CIA Analysts warn off Iraq War

Noble Laureate Economists back Kerry Economic plan

Senior Military Officials call Cheney's attack of Kerry foul

50 Generals & Admirals condemn Iraq plan of War

All of these stories were from GLOBAL NEWS FEEDS such as Reuters, UPI, Newswire, with the last link being from 'The Nation'. All legitimate sources, yet near zero US major media reporting.

If those were not bad enough, we've had the former Texas Lieutenant Governor Ben Barnes's confession, that you can listen to here, go near unreported, compared to what's already been debunked on the Swifties saturating every news cycle!!!

An Excerpt:

"Let's talk a minute about John Kerry and George Bush, and I know them both. … I got a young man named George W. Bush in the National Guard when I was Lieutenant Governor of Texas, and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it. And I got a lot of other people in the National Guard, because I thought that was what people should do when you're in office, and you helped a lot of rich people. And I walked through the Vietnam memorial the other day and I looked at the names of the people that died in Vietnam, and I became more ashamed of myself than I've ever been, because it was the worst thing I did was to help a lot of wealthy supporters, and a lot of people who had family names of importance, and I'm very sorry for that and I'm very ashamed, and I apologize to you voters of Texas."

So, here's what I propose: let's keep this thread updated with neglected, verifiable source news stories , that the dumbed down US media willfully ignores. It can really be something, a body of information readily available to our amateur efforts, that the corporate media either wants shelved or is too biased to proffer.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Interesting idea.. but the idea itself is pretty much what ATSNN does.. they post news stories before the national news gets to 'dumb it down'..

but..

what if we were to make a thread of news stories ignored by mainstream media and say, in a few weeks, we have every member here mass-email the thread to the major mainstream sites asking for an explanation and CHANGE...

So basically, when/if you find a news story that is big, but ignored by the media, cross reference it with the big news outlets to see if its been run and then post it here if it hasnt.. (make sure its not been run already.. only news that hasnt been reported will be subject to this)

in a few weeks ill compile the list and write up a email and post it here and whomever is interested can send the email to the media editors

[edit on 1-9-2004 by p1]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
P1: ecactly what I had in mind!

Several sites have boilerpate contac lists for media outlets. The "action" part you aptly described is what I'd like to see come of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I guess i am most disappointed in PBS. I had thought of them as an independent news conduit. They have many indepth and revealing stories [NOW, frontline, NOVA, & others] but I now realize even they haven't gotten the stories of the Century [Millenia?]. They never reported "Convoy of Death" which has been seen around the world. They never aired "Bush Crime Family". They have not even breathed a whisper about 911 or Oklahoma City being government sponsored frauds.

ARE THERE ANY REAL JOURNALISTS OUT THERE?

echo ) ) ) echo ) ) ) echo ) ) )

guess not

top topics

join