It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Security Expert Warns Of Cyber World War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

A leading internet security expert has warned that a cyber terrorist attack with "catastrophic consequences" looked increasingly likely in a world already in a state of near cyber war. Eugene Kaspersky is not given to easy hyperbole. But the Russian maths genius who founded an internet security empire with a global reach, clutched at his thick mop of hair with both hands. "I don't want to speak about it. I don't even want to think about it," he said. "But we are close, very close, to cyber terrorism. Perhaps already the criminals have sold their skills to the terrorists - and then...oh, God." Speaking privately at the London Cyber Conference, Kaspersky told Sky that he believed that cyber terrorism was the biggest immediate threat to have emerged to confront nations as diverse as China and the US. "There is already cyber espionage, cyber crime, hacktivisim (when activists attack networks for political ends) soon we will be facing cyber terrorism," he said.

I've always thought WW3 would be conducted in cyberspace. The thought is not nearly as frightening as conventional or nuclear war, yet still is something I believe we should be concerned about. If it is truly possible for nations to attack each others infrastructure remotely, I can see some very bad things happening. If all the power plants in a nation became compromised and knocked offline think of the panic it would cause. A country could be economically crippled if the right places were attacked. A massive cyber attack coupled with a more conventional approach say blowing up a few buildings in a few major cities would see us rather screwed. Thoughts?

Link

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
yes the world would end if millions of people around the world lost windows vista.

the worrying part is if a foreign agency got complete control of an aerial drone, hacked it and started raining death from above on major cities.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I'm far less worried about that then I am about having our infrastructure collapse. No power in a big area for awhile and it will really hurt.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The conept of cyber terrorism is a huge worry. No question

However I have to say that I am not inclined to worry just because Kaspersky says "worry". He has his products to promote just like any other businessman, and his "business empire" has been pretty unstable for years. I think hyping up the threat is probably a prelude to announcing his next new product

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
yes the world would end if millions of people around the world lost windows vista.

we are on windows 7 now man!! get with the program! lol
just kidding

its does sound scary for me because if cyber war was brought in not only would the average man/women be left with DDoS attacts on the websites they go to or downed isp or networks but as said if they attacked power stations/nuke plants/hospitals/major resource centers and whatever else they can think of to cripple a country, also if it hit the stocl exchange it could cause a world financial collapse....
would be an interesting one and a lot of people wouldn't understand it all so i reckon a lot of stuff would go underdetected unless a cyber genious was reporting on it all.

top topics

join