It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Sis To Monitor Twitter For Signs Of Social Unrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Federal agency concerned about riots breaking out in United States Paul Joseph Watson Infowars.com Tuesday, November 1, 2011 The wave of civil unrest that has swept the globe over the past year has prompted the Department of Homeland Security to step up its monitoring of Twitter and other social networks in a bid to pre-empt any sign of social dislocation within the United States. Twitter User “Department of Homeland Security Undersecretary Caryn Wagner said the use of such technology in uprisings that started in December in Tunisia shocked some officials into attention and prompted questions of whether the U.S. needs to do a better job of monitoring domestic social networking activity,” reports the Associated Press.

Wagner announced that the federal agency would implement new guidelines that would focus on “gleaning information from sites such as Twitter and Facebook for law enforcement purposes.” Under the new framework, when the department receives information about a “potential threat,” it will then ask its contractors to look for relevant search references using “open source” information. Although it’s somewhat naive to think that Homeland Security wasn’t already scanning the likes of Facebook and Twitter for social trends and signs of civil unrest, the fact that its now being announced publicly illustrates the increasing concern that riots which have hit the Middle East and Europe over the last 18 months will soon manifest themselves inside the United States.
AP

Well I guess it's only a matter of time before they come knocking on the doors of ATS, wanting to access LOGS and then start rounding up some of the more outspoken members here!

Maybe it's time to ease up on some of the vitriol that you sometimes see here, and become a 'good' Internet citizen?

edit on 1-11-2011 by SpaceJockey1 because: Added more

edit on 1-11-2011 by SpaceJockey1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Is it just me or are you beginning to feel like you are now living in CHINA???

Seems like the US and other western countries are starting to take leaves out of China's dissidents suppression hand-book.

Here in New Zealand we've had new Internet copyright controls foisted upon us, at the behest of the US Government, so we're definitely heading down the slippery path...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
haha a good "internet citizen" i like that term.

Seems like everyday TPTB unveil a new tentacle to hold on to their clearly dwindling power. Eventually though they'll run out of limbs, strength and when this thing turns on its head, they'll be at the bottom.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by goldcoin

Don't think I invented it, but thank you

I hope you're right, but is it going to take a French Revolution style uprising (off with their heads), to give people the chance to rebuild a BETTER system from the ground up again...never giving the bankers the power that they've continues to abuse for many centuries?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The mistake everyone made was signing up for things like Twitter and Facebook then insisting they have "rights" to privacy, you don't. The only privacy you have on social media is the privacy they permit you to have. So many mindless people have signed up for those type of social media services, Facebook and Twitter are really the new TV. Nobody is going to fight big brother they are going to get in line to sign up

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by goldcoin

Don't think I invented it, but thank you

I hope you're right, but is it going to take a French Revolution style uprising (off with their heads), to give people the chance to rebuild a BETTER system from the ground up again...never giving the bankers the power that they've continues to abuse for many centuries?

I was watching this interview of Julian Assange and he was talking about the US and other superpowers. I'll have to find and link the video later (going to bed). Anyway what he was saying was that the US is really no different the the "enemies" of the US regarding handling its people and international policy. They'll brand foreign militias, governments and officials as "corrupt - makes good ally".

It's really fascinating to hear this, and to realize that the only difference between our government today and the USSR is that we won...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Imho, it pays to always assume that this is happening, simply because it is, as many ATSers already know. A little research and even some History Channel shows have made it plain how, why, and who is monitoring what here.

Always know. Honesty is the best policy, and continuing to do whatever it is we are doing. Keywords and tracking is not the big deal.

Twittering ourselves into an American spring is. My own account was frozen, and I cannot get anything to fix it, lol. Of course, that is why I stopped using it long ago, but to see how dramatically locked down it is was like a volley in the game.

Shows how frightened the ones who watch are. They shouldn't be! We have had these rights for a couple hundred years now, and no one has really ever agreed to let them go.

Facebook and Twitter are just tools like ATS, although without most of the better parts, I am sure we would all agree. Calling people who use them "mindless" is not going to open any eyes, either.

Try respecting the people you are correcting, and they will listen to you. Insulting people, especially millions of people we cannot know, causes us to lose credibility.
Just a thought.

lol

edit on 1-11-2011 by Copperflower because: To add:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

Totally agree...I only use those sites to make $$$'s, not for the purpose of social interaction.

Honestly, between tweeting & txting, how the hell do people actually find time to socialize in the REAL WORLD?

I can see a time where people will just choose to be permanently plugged-in to the virtual world, and then over time they'll being that their virtual lives are real, and us rebels will one day have to rescue them from the MATRIX!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Seems like the US and other western countries are starting to take leaves out of China's dissidents suppression hand-book.

Here in New Zealand we've had new Internet copyright controls foisted upon us, at the behest of the US Government, so we're definitely heading down the slippery path...

Really. Most of our policies towards our own citizens, and the complete lack of respect for the Constitution would keep us out of the UN for the same reasons we have lobbied to keep other nations out.

And our government wonders why we protest silently, in crowds, and in our hearts and minds?

That very Constitution and its scope, equanimity, and groundwork for the generations to follow? That is the foundation and power by which our government has claimed moral superiority for centuries, and without batting an eye, tells us nothing, while monitoring us more than any terrorists anywhere. Are there 300 million terrorists, lol?

How did we end up with all the drudgery and burdens of the Patriot Act, but none of this burden seems to be able to fall onto anyone who is a real threat to anyone? All the fallout seems to be on citizens, and none on anyone else. Ridiculous. Only now are border issues being addressed, and poorly, clumsily,and years too late.
Only now are immigration laws being seriously enforced, and even then, amid controversy that shouldn't even exist by now.

Cynicism, the new American standard.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Copperflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

The very sheeple they have programmed use such social platforms to share what sheeple do...caring about what others think and wanting some one else to take responsibility for their life by telling them what to do. To see how their mind control is working and the tweek they added that got OWS going, monitoring these sites is a gage for how successful they are and what unknown reactions are being formed. It's a dangerous game invoking anger in humans and guiding it to a predetermined outcome. Why use bullets when you can get the masses to turn on each other. They aren't monitoring anything for social unrest but rather monitoring the social unrest they created.

Big Brother hid and changed his name to Political Correctness and now has come out of the closet as Big Sister.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

I hear what you are saying...from what I'm seeing in the US, there's a concerted effort by TPTB, to destroy the middleclass (already white middleclass are the new potential 'terrorist').

It won't be long and there'll be only the super RICH and the super POOR.

Over here they continue to make more and more people dependent on WELFARE, and that's how they get to CONTROL you; because when you're living on handouts, you're unlikely to bite the hand that feeds you...

Just hope that more and more people begin to wake up and realize that something is seriously wrong, and that those in power are CORRUPT, and have been and still are robbing everyone blind!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
On Monday Nov 1st, 2011, David Cameron went before an international cyberspace conference in London and said it was “essential to strike a balance between the needs of online security and the right to free expression.”

“We cannot leave cyberspace open to the criminals and the terrorists that threaten our security and our prosperity but at the same time we cannot just go down the heavy-handed route,” he said.

John Kampfner, the chief executive of the Index on Censorship, clarified Cameron’s comments:

“It’s very easy to defend the case of black and white – human rights against dictatorships around the world. But as soon as our own Western-style stability of the state is called into question, well then freedom of expression is expendable. There should be one rule for all including Western governments.”

Cameron’s comments are viewed as a response to China and Russia. Both countries have pushed for tighter regulation of the internet through binding international treaties.

In the United States, the government has used a mostly phantom cyber threat to call for draconian legislation to control the internet. In January, Sens. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Susan Collins (R-Maine) renewed their call for an “internet kill switch” that would allow the president to shut down the internet in response to a national emergency.

The effort came as the Egyptian government shut down the internet in response to demonstrations calling for the removal of president Hosni Mubarak. The move demonstrated that governments have the ability and technical capacity to shut down the internet in response to political crises.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
This is how it ends up going down, some agency (non-government) will start regulating the internet. It happened with the movies and it will happen on the internet.
Hell, there are things i could say on the white house lawn to the presidents face that would be 100% fine with no repercussions that would get me banned instantly on ATS.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Yep, pretty creepy. Back during the Bush term, Admiral Poindexter wanted to implement Total Information Awareness, a supercomputer datamining operation, but enough people in Congress opposed it, as well as long online privacy organizations.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
And yet the USA continues to criticize and impose sanctions on others countries, they infringe on their own citizens rights and freedoms and are allowed to get away with it.

This smells of complete Hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
And yet the USA continues to criticize and impose sanctions on others countries, they infringe on their own citizens rights and freedoms and are allowed to get away with it.

This smells of complete Hypocrisy.

Did you READ the story?

Wagner says those protocols are being developed under strict laws meant to prevent spying on U.S. citizens and protect privacy, including rules dictating the length of time the information can be stored and differences between domestic and international surveillance.

Even the most hardcore left wing radical would have a hard time believing that information that you post publicly on Facebook and on twitter could be considered private.

new topics

top topics

join