It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Alcohol-The cause AND solution to all of lifes problems"I think it should be banned!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by eyesdown
This is one of those moments someone pipes in with "everything in moderation" and I'd like to be that person, but if that were the case I wouldn't spend every sunday feeling like death, waiting for the world to swallow me up.

That was funny, thank you. I have spent many a sunday feeling like death also, thats my point though is it is a poison , a lethal one at that and it is allowed, I just dont get it

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
People need something at the end of the day to relax them for the next identical day in their lives.

Think about it, most people's lives really suck.

They have to weave through heavy traffic every day just to get to a crappy job and bust their rear for table scraps.

And now we have the totalitarians wanting to take away the only thing that makes these folks' lives even half-decent.

It's a complete tragedy.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Originally posted by eyesdown
This is one of those moments someone pipes in with "everything in moderation" and I'd like to be that person, but if that were the case I wouldn't spend every sunday feeling like death, waiting for the world to swallow me up.

That was funny, thank you. I have spent many a sunday feeling like death also, thats my point though is it is a poison , a lethal one at that and it is allowed, I just dont get it

Ok so you admit you have drank before?

But you now think it's best to create a system where people go to jail for doing exactly what you did?

You claim to be 35 but it sounds like you are 200. Have you really forgotten what it was like to be a self-determining human capable of making your own mistakes and learning from them?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Chocolate and crisps make us fat but they are legal. It really is a case of self control, we can't ask our governments to do everything for us.

Are you hungover today or something Allurchips? It always seems to be those days where you think "ah I'm never drinking again" or "why is it even legal!!!!!!"
edit on 1-11-2011 by eyesdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

It's been tried...and has failed miserably. Maybe the solution is to further fill our prisons with more alcohol fueled criminals.

I fear a DUI, so I watch what I drink. It would have life changing effects on me.

Others don't seem to care. Toss 'em into the clink for life after so many offenses IMHO. Even if it is a first time offense, but it takes a human life. Off they go...for life.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Ok, I am going to try and discuss this subject again as I am VERY passionate about this subject. PLEASE NO ILLICIT DRUG TALK!!!!! I do not want them to take down the thread. So basically, I have a theory as to why this toxic poison is legal? Now please, save your immature defenses of alcohol I understand that its fun and all and alot of people can handle themselves, however, its very deadly and has horribly destructive consequences on every level of society. From the homeless man on the corner, to the high level exec who kills someone in an auto accident, to the middle class man that beats his wife and kids all because of this legal TAXABLE poison. My theory is that it is legal because it helps keep people just drinkin the stress away, and raises unimagineable amounts of revenue. Most crimes happen because of alcohol. It keeps cops employed and cities make money off of the court costs and especially in the DUI department. But at what cost? All the lives lost, families broken, abused children and spouses. If not for money, it would not be legal. Anyhow, Ill take my lashings now

PS the title comes from the very wise Homer J. Simpson-
edit on 1-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

you are very naive if you think banning alcohol will solve anything. I will agree that it definately can facilitate issues that are already inherent in unstable people...but to once again ruin it for everyone because there are those out there who become a "problem" while under its influence is simply bad policy. It always has been and it always will be bad policy for the few to ruin it for the many or even the many to ruin it for the few.

I am sorry lives are ruined for some/many under alcohol, however this should have no bearing on how I am able to conduct my own life....period.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It would be much worse if it was banned though. First off, people wouldn't stop drinking because of the law. It would be sold and protected at a higher value, and smuggled with force by use of cartels, causing more crimes on top of the ill's of drinking, not to mention, no FDA/ATF regulated alcohol, so now you have people possibly getting sick and literally poisoned to death because of halfassed suppliers.

Alcohol isn't the problem, it's our reckless desire to feel good that is. There ins't a universal solution, people just need to look after each other a little closer.
edit on 1-11-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

We tried it your way once: Prohibition basically INVENTED organized crime. So -- since people are people, and people have been dodging prohibition literally since the Garden of Eden, I'm going to go ahead and call your idea for what it is: Horse manure.

So what your saying, is the us gov is the organized crime of today runnig a HUGE money making scheme with their controlled poison. I agree.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don’t know about in the states, but I believe that Alcohol will not and cannot be 'banned' in most countries, why? A number of key points, but the main ones are its a Cash Cow for governments world over (along with Tobacco).

Is it a poison - Technically yes, Ethanol is a poison in higher concentrations. But so is caffeine (and thats legal) to give you one mainstream example.

Alcohol has a number of bad factors, usually because once certain people get under the excessive influence of it they become violent and start bashing people (usually unprovoked), or get behind the wheel and wind up killing others (and/or themselves).

List of commercial Poisons purchasable from your local supermarket, with the express use of ingestion:

* Coffee
* Chocolate (contains caffeine)
* Caffeine based drinks (Energy Drinks & Cola Based products)
* Natural Yoghurt (Ones that contain active cultures, remember these ARE bacteria, which if you do not consume with this in mind, it can result in infection. Unlikely but possible)
* Most chewing gum (contains a base chemical that can have a laxative, also reducing the bodies ability to process water.
* Headache Tablets
* Petrol (or Gas as you guys call it)

Hell I'm sure you can look into your fridge or food storage area and find a fair amount of your products contain potentially toxic chemicals.

The trick here is, if consumed with moderation and taken as directed it has no cumulative effects, like Alcohol (besides social issues).

So why stop at booze? Why not ban the following products:
* Caffeine based products (Chocolate based, Cola based etc)
* Tobacco (might not be a bad thing?)
* Over-the-counter pain killers
* Fuel based Cars (hey, it might breakdown and cause loss of life, also emits CO2)
* Plastics
* All Alcohol based products (Chocolates, Booze, Ethanol based fuels, cough medicine etc)

The list goes on and on, in the end we'd be put back into the stone age again because (in AU) power would become non-existent, travel would be by horse and cart (remember the production of rubber is bad for us too), there would be no machinery, pretty much back to the proverbial grass roots of being cave people.

I believe that with the right education perhaps people can consume alcohol in a responsible manner, just remove the "bad apples" with a zero tolerance behavioural law?

Food for thought.

edit on 1-11-2011 by Spruk because: Fixed various spelling mistales (because im failing today)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Well you seem to be sooo very interested on the subject of alcohol, I figured you must know something about prohibition considering it was a huge issue.

Lovely way to beat around the bush you being 35 and all. -- um, what about.... Read up!
It doesn't take a huge amount of common sense research the history of the subject you seem to be completely against and if I may add.. made a whole thread about. Besides, it might help your cause.

High five.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

No but the years of alcohol and drug abuse I encured were the biggest hell one could imagine, trust me
Yes only 35, good thing I made it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by causeimalive

Well you seem to be sooo very interested on the subject of alcohol, I figured you must know something about prohibition considering it was a huge issue.

Lovely way to beat around the bush you being 35 and all. -- um, what about.... Read up!
It doesn't take a huge amount of common sense research the history of the subject you seem to be completely against and if I may add.. made a whole thread about. Besides, it might help your cause.

High five.

Seriously? Get a hint of sarcasm much? I do know all about it thats not whats at issue. The question I responded to was "do you remember prohibition/" No I wasnt there!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

No but the years of alcohol and drug abuse I encured were the biggest hell one could imagine, trust me Yes only 35, good thing I made it.

But the point is not everyone is the same as you. Some people can use without the abuse. Why should the majority be punished because a select few abuse and misuse?
edit on 1-11-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

post removed by staff

Don't lash out at others for proving you wrong - it just makes you look bad

Prohibition of alcohol and the failed "War on Drugs" are two prime examples of why prohibition of substances is simply not a good idea
edit on 1-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Nov 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes it is the very same thing we have with the drug war today, I agree completely... when will we find a means to an end like we did with prohibition? Good point.. me likes.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well you have the internet at your fingertips... all I am saying is if you are going to bitch about something at least have a leg to stand on aside from car accidents and beatings. Prohibition was huge and as I said before it could contribute to your message. Not that I support what you say completely.

Here ill make it easy.
en.wikipedia.org...
history1900s.about.com...

You owe me one..
lmao

Ps no i didnt catch the sarcasm. obviously.
edit on 1-11-2011 by causeimalive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
AWESOME. Just what we need MORE government regulation and more of them telling everyone what is good for them. Man this is why America is going down hill. Government Regulation, Gum Control, Sugar Nazi's, fuel efficiency Nazis, Clean Emission control freaks all of it stinks!

Some is necessary but this over regulation is killing us. Soon the internet will be regulated, its only a matter of time as that is the direction we are heading.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

I'll see your "war on drugs" and raise you a "don't bite the apple."

Human beings eat, drink, snort and smoke what they want. And if they screw up? It's on them, individually, for their own actions. No cop outs.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Okay this is my stance on alcohol. I don't think
it should be made illegal because I have read
about prohibition and I know it didn't work. However,
with that said I can truthfully tell you that half of
my life has been destroyed because of the
child abuse I received from an alcohol Mother.
The cheating and beatings I received from
my first husband who was alcoholic. I have
also seen it destroy other peoples lives. To sum
it up, it is your right if you want to drink but I don't
want these people in my life. I wish there was no
such think as alcohol but there is and I guess
we have to live with that.

For the past 5 years I have had no drinkers or
alcoholics in my life and this is the happiest
I have ever been.

I know there are those who just drink at home
and maintain their cool but stastistics show that